Know Anyone Famous?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Nov 19, 2008.

1. janlee

janlee Devotee

Nov 19, 2008

Yes, I met and ate a light supper with Elton John. In 1970, before he became a megastar, he performed at my college. (I was on the committee that arranged his performance) He sang "Love Song". The next week he performed in Philly, at the Spectrum, and the song shot up to #1. It is something I will never forget. Also a fellow HS graduate played for the Kansas City Chiefs. I said hello to Derek Jeter several times at Christmas Eve services. He would go with his grandmother.

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 19, 2008

Maybe she's one of those moody types whom no one knows how she'll be each day.

I've seen or read that she's given her entire staff elaborate gifts for Christmas, like each staff member AND THEIR FAMILIES a trip.

BTW, did anyone watch that show she had on a while back called THE BIG GIVE? I liked it.

One of these days, I still want to be in her audience for her Christmas episode where she gives each audience member a ton of stuff! Hopefully her show isn't off the air before I have this opportunity!

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2008

My friend said almost the same thing about meeting Oprah. You think she would have been nicer considering she was taping a show in their house. She lives in an old plantation house and the book for the book club was set in the house. She said all Oprah did was come in and order everyone around. She was also not happy that my friend's 2 young children were going to be there during the taping.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008

I forgot, another writer friend of mine was part of the Star Trek universe. George Takei (Sulu) bought us lunch and gave us a tour of the Japanese Cultural Center in LA. I also went with my friend to visit Leonard Nimoy in his office on the Paramount lot, and we visited the set of the movie with the whales. I got to walk around on the Klingon cruiser set. It was cool!

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 19, 2008

I know Til Death is set in PA. Did you used to live there, or is the show based off a HS that is really in Ohio but they set the show in PA? My dh and I love that show, it cracks me up!

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 19, 2008

I always wanted to go to a live studio taping of The Cosby Show or Family Ties, which were my fave shows in the 80s. Oh well, too late for that now.

7. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Nov 19, 2008

My cousin is an actor and environmentalist.

I was friends with Christina Aguliera's cousins... they didn't have the nicest things to say about her. In addition, some of my sorority sisters and friends from college went to HS with her and say the same thing. She tells the media how she was treated horribly in school and was such an outcast. Um, she was a cheerleader in a pretty ritzy district (though I'm not sure if she cheered in HS... she may have). Oh, and the story about her prom where everyone left the dance floor when her song "Genie in a Bottle" came on is true. She and a few of her friends danced, but that was it. Not sure if she's changed since then, but by all accounts she was quite the b!tch when she was younger.

My SIL is close friends with a Hollywood screenwriter and his family. She babysat for them while in college, and I babysat for them when I was in grad school, after SIL graduated (we went to the same school). Their daughter was in her wedding. They are beyond awesome.

I met Charlie Batch at a restaurant at my bachelorette party; he was REALLY nice and made a bunch of his fellow teammates pose for a picture with us. I didn't want to bug them while they were eating, but my friend-- right after they paid their bill-- marched up to their table to ask. Of course, the waiter who took the pic failed to get most of the group in it-- namely Batch. :rolleyes: Oh well.

My friend went to HS a couple of years behind Brad Paisley; his parents still live in that town and her father remodeled their kitchen. Apparently they're the nicest family. My husband's family used to be very involved in the town fair; huge acts always show up to perform and MIL met Brad Paisley's dad when he was performing that year (right before he became huge). Oh, speaking of the fair-- DH and his sister, when they were very young, got to do The Twist on stage with Chubby Checker.

A relative works with Natalie Coughlin's dad and rents a house from him. We knew each other when we were little, I guess.

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2008

I met Bing Crosby when I was in second grade. My principal was his niece.

My husband's third cousin or something like that is Cindy Crawford. Her great grandfather and my husband's great grandfather were brothers.

I've seen: (all in Vegas just walking down the street)
    MC Hammer
    Jimmie "dynomite!" Walker
    John MacEnroe
    Lenny Kravitz
    Evander Holyfield
    Don King

I played poker with our local tv celebrity Ken Schram, from KOMO TV 4 in Seattle.

My sister partied with Bono.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 19, 2008

I'm originally from Cheltenham, a Philly suburb.

10. Ross

Ross Comrade

Nov 19, 2008

Golf and dinner with Jose Ferrer:
    The Caine Mutiny
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Cyrano de Bergerac

Partied with Richard Burgi:
    Desperate Housewives
    Various daytime shows

Golf with Lee Roy Jordan- Dallas Cowboys (when they were great, 1970's)

On airplanes:
    Steve Forbes - Presidential candidate, Forbes Magazine
    Jon Bon Jovi - rock star
    Bill Bennett - Politician, author
    Tony Curtis - Actor. Spent a lot of time talking with him.
    Patricia O'Neil - Actress
    Walter Cronkite - Spent some time talking with him
    One of the Munchkins from the Wizard of Oz
    Christy Todd Whitman - Former Governor
    Jon Blaha - Space Shuttle Astronaut. Spent a lot of time talking
    about his experiences.
    Yogi Berra - Baseball player and coach. We seem to meet
    frequently on airplanes.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 19, 2008

One Valentine's Day several yrs ago, my BF & I happened to eat at Arnold Schwarzenegger's restaurant (we weren't planning it), called Schatzi on Main in the city of Santa Monica. It's been said he can be seen there quite often, but he wasn't there when we went. The food wasn't great to me. It had no flavor.

I've always wanted to try Jennifer Lopez' restaurant, Madre's in Pasadena.

12. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Nov 19, 2008

Don't know anyone personally, but I have met:
    Roger Coreman (B movie director)
    Cast of the Love Boat (Julie, Issaac, Doc, Vicki)
    Laurence Fishburne (accidentally called him Samuel L. Jackson - doh!)
    Girl who played Andrea on 90210
    Vince Gill

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 19, 2008

Ah yes, Gabrielle Carteris. I'd like to see someone from the cast of (the original) 90210 or Melrose Place. Those were my fave 90s shows.

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Nov 19, 2008

Yes, mine, too! Gabrielle (thanks for reminding me) was very positive, and far, far shorter than I thought she was :)

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 19, 2008

Yes, she looked pretty short when she was on TV...like no taller than 5'4".

16. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Nov 19, 2008

I've shaken hands with Brady Quinn (QB for the Cleveland Browns) when he was the QB for Notre Dame.

I've seen the president elect, Barack Obama, in person.

My maternal grandpa is a distant cousin of Mark Twain.

My distant cousin is a special effects editor. She worked on Any Given Sunday, Moulin Rouge, Nim's Island, Fred Claus. She said that Nicole Kidman was a *itch and Oliver Stone was an @$$.

Tonight I saw Joseph Addai, running back for the Colts, at the mall.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2008

My second cousin (dad's cousin) used to be on General Hospital. She played officer Vee Arwendowski (or something like that). She has also been in several Lifetime movies.
    I met half of the 1996 Olympic USA women's gymnastic team back in 1996 after the games (both Dominiques and Shannon Miller)
    I have met a bunch of NASCAR drivers and regularly deal with crew members (too many to count, honestly.)
    I have met 2 Carolina Panters players (they both bought cars at my dealership). I have no idea which ones, as I am not a football fan!
    I met Justin Verlander (pitcher for the Detroit Tigers) at a car dealership (one in Michigan- not the one I work at!) and had him sign my ticket from his no hitter!

My sister waited on Michael Moore (Roger & Me, Bowling for Columbine, etc...) and he is awful! A bad tipper and not very nice.

18. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Nov 19, 2008

Met and sang with a few famous and well known reggae artists in studios. Wonderful experiences! If I list yall wouldn't know.

I really want to meet Jesus, Obama, MLK, and Bob Marley(though dead).

Can't think of anything else right now.

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008

These people are going to show how old I am.

Indira Gandhi--crashed a reception of hers when I was 11 or 12. We were at the same hotel. I went right up to her and said "hello". Everyone was amused. I just wanted to meet a famous person.

The Beatles--walked right through them and their entourage on a sidewalk when I lived in South America. They were there promoting a film of theirs. I was about 13 and SPEECHLESS. They said "hullo" and "good day" etc. I just stopped on the sidewalk after going through them, turned around and stared at them.

Bob Marley--lived the next block over when I lived in Miami as a teenager. Played soccer on his front lawn once with him and friends. Very personable and normal. My brother used to get high with him.

Jimmy Carter--went to meet him before he became president. He was running for office, and I wanted to see what he had to say.

Janet Reno--she is a friend of a friend of a one-time boyfriend. We stayed for a weekend together at a ranch in central Florida at the home of the friend. She stayed up most of the night with me because I was in severe pain due to an infection in a pulled wisdom tooth. I will never say anything bad about her because of her kindness.

Ted Williams--super nice. He grew up with an aunt and they went to the same church. So I went up to him and asked him if he remembered her and the gift that the minister had given him, my aunt, and someone else. He did. Still had the gift.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 20, 2008

I forgot about that too....

When I was being discharged from the hospital after the birth of ds3, she was in the lobby. I was being wheeled down with all the "it's a boy" and "congrats" stuff, but no baby. Even though this was the third time I'd been discharged without the baby (all three were NICU babies), it wasn't any easier than the first time. I was crying and mopey and depressed. She came up to me while I waited for my ride and asked if I was okay and did I need anything while I waited. She chatted with me for a couple of minutes and then told me she'd keep my baby in her prayers. I was so out of it, I didn't even realize who it was until my mom pointed it out to me after I was in the van. In the short span of time I was in that lobby dozens of people passed by, wrapped up in their own little worlds. This woman, who had her own sick relative, took the time to comfort a grieving mother (grieving for the healthy baby she didn't have). While I don't agree with her politics, you will never hear me find fault with her as a person.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2008

Oh I forgot I had met Dave Rosema (a Tiger's pitcher) he wasn't pitching anymore, but he was a funny guy. My grandpa used to umpire for him when he was in little league. Also met Eddie (can't remember his last name) used to kick for the Lions in the late 80s, I believe.

22. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Nov 20, 2008

I forgot one! DH grew up with Tommy Maddox (former QB for the Steelers).

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 20, 2008

How could I have forgotten this one???

I was dragged out clubbing with friends. While I enjoy a quiet night out, I despise loud dance clubs, and it was compounded by being the NBA All-Star Game in Philly that night. There were limos everywhere and the clubs were packed. We got into one and it was wall-to-wall bodies. It was hot and sweaty! Meanwhile, my then boyfriend decided to be El Cheapo and wouldn't even buy me a bottle of water, and I was getting badly dehydrated.

I stumbled around, feeling rather ill, and found myself in a quiet lounge area. It was a private party area but I was so sick, I didn't realize it and flopped down on the nearest couch. A tall, dark gentleman saw the state I was in and immediately handed me his Coke. I chugged it gratefully, my vision slowly cleared, and I realized my rescuer was Denzel Washington. It was at this point that my then-boyfriend finds me, apologizes for my crashing, and yanks me out of the room.

It may have been dark, I may have been a little ill, but that man is even more stunning in person than on film, and he's the embodiment of a gentleman.

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2008

Lucky you, cat!!!!

25. SmallTownGirl

SmallTownGirl Rookie

Nov 20, 2008

Erin Elizabeth- I think we live in the same city :)

26. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2008

It's an odd thing that we both met her and found her to be such a compassionate person. I agree that I found some of the decisions she made as an attorney general to be poor, but as a human, she's outstanding. We read a lot of funny poetry that night. She had found an old book at the ranch and kept making me laugh.

I left to have it taken care of the next morning, but came back later that week and everyone was still there. We went canoeing down the Seven Springs River. Wonderful trip. Wonderful person.

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 20, 2008

I used to be a bit of a rocker chick back in the late 80's and early 90's so I've met a lot of guys from hard rock and metal bands . . . and I've got the fringed leather/big hair/black eyeliner/too much cleavage pictures to prove it. LOL

Other than that, I've met a rather odd assortment. DH plays country music, so I've met some people that way. They're typically band members of the more famous person, and most of the time I don't know them since I don't listen to that kind of music. I stood behind Eddie Montgomery in the checkout line at K-Mart and had no clue who he was until I heard him say something.

DH is a soap fan, so we've met five or six people from Days of Our Lives. We met Hal Sparks after a comedy show a couple of years ago. He's hilarious, by the way. Sometimes I go to book signings and meet authors, and I met Sandra Day O'Connor and Oliver North while I was on a trip to Washington D.C. some 20 years ago.

I also went to high school with one of the Backstreet Boys. My one claim to fame is that I beat him in tryouts for the high school jazz band piano player. :)

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 20, 2008

I don't KNOW any celebrities unfortunately but I have met a few. "Greg Brady" came to my college to give a lecture so I met him and got his autograph. He seemed kind of goofy :lol: I got to sing on stage with Kenny Rogers when he did a Christmas concert in my college town. He needed some singers and our college choir got the job. It was fun and he was very nice. Luckily, someone I knew was in the audience and took a picture of him singing with me in the background. Our choir also sang with an opera singer and we recorded a CD but I can't remember her name.

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 20, 2008

My BF's dad went to HS w/ Van Halen.

Unteen yrs ago, when my BF's mom worked at the Broadway, she met Tina Yothers from Family Ties.

My BF saw Kevin Costner on a street in North Hollywood over 10 yrs ago.

He also saw contemporary Christian artists, Michael W. Smith & DC Talk.

30. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2008

Ima-I LOVE Days of Our Lives. Do you know the characters he met?

31. westcoastbetsy

westcoastbetsy New Member

Nov 21, 2008

My step-brother is actor/comedian/writer Michael Ian Black.

:)

32. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 21, 2008

:woot: I've been a fan of his for well over a decade. Hopefully he's as fun to be around in person as he is to watch at work. If so, it must have made the blended family thing much easier.

33. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Nov 21, 2008

OMG! I love Michael Ian Black! I love him in Reaper, one of my favorite T.V. shows!

34. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 21, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I find him DELICIOUS! He is the perfect embodiment of all that I look for in a guy-nerdy, hilarious, dark and wonderful.

Sigh. Too bad I'm married. And I can't imagine that he's not taken.

Yum.

35. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Nov 21, 2008

I know a lot of NHL players and a couple guys who used to model, one for Abercrombie and Fitch. I also know a lot of CFL players, but they likely aren't famous anywhere except in Canada.

36. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 21, 2008

I always wanted to meet Jean-Luc Brassard when I was younger. Actually I used to tell everyone when I was in high school I was going to marry him (haha). I never did get to meet him.

I also, walked down the aisle at my aunts wedding with a man that used to play for the Calgary Flames. I can't remember his name for the life of me now. But I told everyone about it for years after the wedding (which was fall 1989).

37. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Nov 21, 2008

I've shaken hands with Frankie Avalon. He was very tan and very sweet.

I taught Jessie "The Body" Ventura's son in Elementary school long before Jessie became Governor of MN. He bought my brother's best friend's grandmother's house on the Mississippi River.

George Wallace (the comedian) was standing behind me in line at Tuesday Morning. I recognized him when he started talking on his cell phone.

Steve Harvey (the comedian) and his entourage ran directly into me at the Bellagio and no one bothered to apologize.

I've met Eddie Money and got his autograph. My friend got a hug and a kiss from him.

I've met a few sports stars like Kirby Puckett, Dino Ciccerelli, and Joel Otto (who went to college with me).

Mrs. K- I loved Greg Evigan! I cut out pictures from Teen Beat and such and put them up in my bedroom when I was a young teen. I still get excited when I see him in a Lifetime movie. I know- what a dweeb! Ah, puppy love crushes! Great memories!

38. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 21, 2008

Tom Arnold (Roseanne's ex-husband) on a plane this summer. He was very nice.

Andy Gibb outside the taping of Solid Gold. He was snotty. Marilyn McCoo was very gracious.

Coby Bryant and family a few times in church during the rape scandle.

Rod Stewart on the streets of Laguna Beach many years ago (My bf and I chased him down the streets. He lost us)

Jan Brady (Eve Plumb) She lives a few doors from my brother and walks her dog with him. I haven't met her.

Mike Witt (former pitcher of the Angels) family friend

Susan Anton at the market. Very pretty

Rex Hudler (Angels announcer) went on a party bus with him.

39. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 21, 2008

Let me see . . .

I know that he met Matthew Ashford before we were married. I was crazy about him when he was on Search for Tomorrow and then early on in Days.

We both met Farah Fath when she was Mimi. We met her at a charity event, and then I ended up shopping at her mother's boutique a time or two.

I also met one other one with him. Ah . . .geez. He was a doctor--maybe? Kevin something or other? He was singing at an event we attended. We ended up getting our photo made with him and Santa.

I think the others he met were from Young & the Restless and General Hospital, but had maybe been on Days at some point. DH's music jobs put him home during soap times, so he watches them. :rolleyes:

40. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 21, 2008

I only know Greg Evigan best when he was on My Two Dads. Much later, he was in several episodes of Melrose Place. I think he looks better w/o the beard.

I know every Brady Bunch episode backward & forward. I'm not obsessed by any means by any celeb, but she'd probably be a cool person to walk the dog with.

On a slightly different note, which celeb would you LIKE TO MEET?

For me, it's:

Michael J. Fox - LOVED him when I was a pre-teen & teen & I loved Family Ties.

Mark-Paul Gosselear - Thought he was cute.

Grant Show from Melrose Place, my fave show.

Tori Spelling from 90210, another fave show. She seems down to earth.

While we're at it, I wouldn't mind meeting Will Smith, Brad Pitt, or Gabrielle Union.