kitty questions...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Danny'sNanny, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2006

Ok, I know there are a lot of cat lovers out there, and I need your help!
    1. Is it important to feed kittens the special kitten formula food? It seems to be a little more expensive, and I wasn't sure if it was just a gimmick of if it's important.
    2. Do you use a cat bed? My parents never have, bf's parents do. Just wondering opinions on this...
    3. This kitty "nurses" on whatever he can find. Are there special toys that he could do this with, or is ok for him to just use whatever he wants (my blanket is his favorite- it has fringe that he really likes- but he also uses the laundry, my toe, whatever he finds)

I still don't know if I can keep him, but I'm gaining ground! And I want to be prepared if we do...
    Thanks!:p

3. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Dec 12, 2006

I'm pretty new to the cat world, so take my advice with a grain of salt!

We have two cats, adopted 1 is about 2 years and the other is about 9 months (they were adopted with in a month of each other).

1. Our vet recommended giving kitten food till about a year of age. Our issue was that the big kitty always wanted to eat the kitty food instead of his own.

2. Do you mean a bed for them to sleep in? We bought a cheapy bed when we adopted our cat and he absolutely ignored it. A month later we adopted our kitten who did use it...now of course the big cat can't get enough of it. Often times you'll find them both squeezed into it together sleeping.

3. My older stepsister had a cat that would "suckle" especially on our shirts if we were holding it. It did this long into adulthood and continued for the rest of it's life. We were told it was because he was taken from his mother too soon and and never learned any different. As far as alternatives for the kitty to do it on I have no clue.

Good luck, I absolutely love having my kitties (except for the early morning wake up calls (jumping on our feet or scratching at the door)

4. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Dec 12, 2006

I hope this helps :)

1. Kittens do need kitten formula food as the require different nutrients than adult cats. It is important that they receive nutritious food appropriate for their age, just like human babies :) Without the right food, their health can suffer and so can their growth, requiring additional medical care later in life. Remember, an animal is a long term investment. Cats can live to be 20 years old. 16 is typical for an in-door cat. Purina is not that expensive and for kittens it lasts a bit :)
    2. I, personally, do not use a cat bed. Our cats sleep with us. However, if you do not want them sleeping in certain areas, it would be nice to provide it with a comfy sleeping bed all it's on. Here's the tricky part. Different cats like different beds. Some like them big, some small, some really stuffy, etc. Just like us.
    3. How cute! We have a 2 year old cat that has never outgrown that. As a matter of fact, he's suckling on his binkie right now! He had since he was born! If an item is really stringy, I'd say stay clear because if it gets in his stomach, you're in trouble. Can you provide him with a binkie (blanket) that he likes. He'll find a spot that is gathered and will suckle there. Most cats outgrow this.

Good luck!

5. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Dec 12, 2006

How old is the kitten? Can you tell?

1. I have also been told kitten food until they are one; vets vary regarding the dry vs. wet debate. I would try to get the kitten used to wet food if possible, even if you feel a primarily dry diet.

2. My cats will not use a cat bed, though we've had a few. My cats stake out their preferred textures around the house (they presently live with my parents); they love down comforters (but be careful with this--can cause accidents!), quilts, home made afghans or wool sweaters, and anything they can crawl under like a tent.

3. I would just watch to make sure it isn't ingesting lots of fuzz or lint or anything like that from suckling on a blanket. You could try gently stroking his face with a warm damp washcloth to simulate his mother's tongue (his cheeks, chin, etc.).

Oh I miss my cats.

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2006

We think he's probably a couple months old. As soon as we decide if we're keeping him, I'll take him to the vet.
    I went and bought him some kitten food. I don't mind spending the extra, and it's not that much. I just wasn't sure if there really was a difference.
    The fringe on my blanket isn't really stringy, it's homemade, just strips of fabric tied in knots. It is fleecy though, so he might be getting some fuzz. If that's bad, I'll put it away...

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2006

I'm new to this kitten thing, my mom's cat was older than me!

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

They need the kitten chow for about a year. I like PUrina and my cats have thrived on it. Beware of cheapy brands. They lack substance and are full of fillers.
    I have a few cat beds around, but they mostly like sleeping curled up on the beds or chairs. They love to squeeze into boxes, like boot boxes and if you put a soft blanket in one, they work just as well.
    I have heard kittens that suck on everything, were taken away from their mommies too soon. I have one cat who goes into the kneading mode on real fuzzy blankets and his nose goes down into the blanket as he does it, but he doesn't suck on it. It's a comfort thing.

9. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Dec 13, 2006

He's probably okay.

If cats eat string, it can cause major problems in their digestive track. Also, if they eat too much fuzz or lint, they can get sick (makes sense) but if he doesn't seem bothered, I wouldn't worry too much.

10. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Dec 13, 2006

My cat, Caroline, does this too... except on her own n*i*p*p*l*e*s! I was told it was because she was weened too early.

It is totally bizzare and she doesn't have fur on her belly anymore from sucking on it so much when she was a kitten. It never grew back.

We still love her though... silly cat.

Kelly :)

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 13, 2006

My cats have always ignored a cat bed, also those fun tunnel things, but when I put a box down, the older one climbed right in. I added a pillow and a wool baby blanket. I also put a piece of fleece on the end of my bed and she loves to sleep there.

I used to buy the cheap food but it is really bad for them. My daughter works for an animal hospital and she brings home the food now. But, I wouldn't go back to the cheapo stuff. For grocery brands, Purina is okay. Yes, buy the kitten food.

I've had kittens who nursed, but eventually outgrew it. Provide a scratching post/pad/box as an alternative to distract her.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 13, 2006

Lizzie wants nothing to do with cat beds, tunnels, houses, etc. I've bought them all and given them away. She loves, however, to lay in the laundry basket in my closet, she has taken over my recliner, and if I leave the wall lamp on above my bed she snuggles under it on my pillows. If I'm looking for her, though, she's usually in the window in the bedroom (I have wide sills.)

13. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 13, 2006

We got one of those small two hole towers, my cat loved it, but one of the kids used it to stand on to reach something up high :( but sometimes she will still go to the bottom part of it.

Then we got her a window bed, she loves it!!! We had to take it down for the christmas tree and she let us know about it! Even though my son did put it in my bedroom window she doesn't like it there, she wants to be part of the family. Her other favorite thing is a Santa hat, she curls up on it in the kitchen by the back door.

we still havn't taken her to the vet to get her fixed, and she doesn't go into heat all that often, but I hope we can aford that soon be cause it drives us crazy when she does!

Keep the kitty Danny's Nanny, you'll hate giving it up now! she/he will supply you endless hours of entertainment, give you some one to talk to(my cat really sounds like she says words--mama, luv you, Donald, Malcolm, now, where and I'm sorry) and keep you company.

14. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2006

it was so cute, we had borrowed cat food from a friend, but we ran out and went to get more. I was gone all afternoon, and I guess kitty got really hungry. When I brought the bag home, I just set it on the floor. Cat knew what it was! He was clawing and biting at the bag, trying to get it open!

Poor guy has a home somewhere, I just can't find it. I hope his family isn't out there missing him too bad :(

15. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2006

I have been talking to Cat! He's very nice to have around when I'm home alone, and he'll cuddle in my lap when I'm studying. The only problem is he loves laptops, so he'll jump right on and hit a lot of buttons
    :p

16. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 13, 2006

Its been almost a week, have you checked any news papers with ads for lost kittens, have you called the humaine society to see if any one called in for the cat????

IF no one has been looking for him, you should name him "buttons" I guess.:)

17. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2006

I love how he's picked up on our personalities. He's calm and cuddly with me, and wild and playful when the boys are around.

I should call the humane society. Haven't done that yet. We put up flyers and told the front office of the apartments. We also knocked on the nearby doors and asked the neighbors.
    It would be really weird if he wasn't from a close neighbor though, because there's a really high wall that there's no way he could have gotten over, and the whole day he was outside, he just sat on our doorstep...
    By this point I'm afraid to find his family, I'm very attached :(

18. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

1. Yes, because there is more fat in the kitten food than regular food, which they need for growth and development. Just like human babies. :) I personally like Purina One and Iams.
    2. My cats have a cat tower, cat cube, and our bed. They use our bed more often than anything else, but they do like to snuggle up in their own places too.
    3. I think that's so cute!!! I've never dealt with this. None of our cats did this, but I don't see why it's not ok for him to be doing it as long as it's something that is not dangerous for him.

19. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

Danny, don't be surprised if nobody is looking for him. If he's that young someone could have just dumped a litter of kitten's or something...which would explain the possibility of him being weaned too early. Or his mommy could have been a stray with a litter and he may have gotten lost. You never know. Our two cats are both from stray mothers.

20. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2006

I just find it odd that he's obviously house-trained, but that no one's called. He can tell his food in a bag of groceries, he's litterbox trained (no accidents) and when he first came inside there was a bowl on the floor, and he went straight to it looking for food.

21. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

A cat's senses are quite incredible. Cats love to bury and dig. All it takes to train a cat with a litter box is to put it in the box and there you have a trained cat in 2 seconds flat. Some cats just automatically know and will do it on their own. Cats also have a keen sense of smell and hearing. I can open up a bag of cat food from the basement and my cats will come running from the second floor. Kittens especially know where to look for food. I think you are a proud new owner of a cute little kitten!!! :D You might as well name him!!! ;)

22. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2006

I still have to convince bf and his brother that we need to keep him. I'm not allowed to have him at my house.
    Bf and his brother are both allergic, but they've always had cats anyway. And we would have had the same issue with a ferret.
    I seem to be gaining on the issue though. At least, they haven't kicked him out or sent him to the pound, and they let me buy cat food ;) (under strict orders not to buy any toys while I was at the store though...)

23. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

Tell them if they want their farret, they need to let you keep the cat! ;)

24. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Dec 13, 2006

I second that motion :) And if you get the ferret while the kitten is still that young, they will grow up acting like litter mates :)

25. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 13, 2006

Holly is 12 years old and has never used a kitty bed that I bought for her. Well, the other day I was in Target and decided to get her Christmas presents:p . My boyfriend suggested we get her a bed even though I told him about getting them for her before. Well, the little stinker loves this one:D !!! I am so glad she likes it but feeling kinda neglected because she doesn't cuddle up with me in bed as much:( ...lol. But she really loves the bed so I am happy:D .

26. musicbean

musicbean Rookie

Dec 15, 2006

Yes, kitten food is important. Also, if you are feeding dry food, incorporate wet food also, especially if the kitten is male. I recently had an $800 emergency with my male cat, because he developed urinary crystals. The vet told me that this is common in many cats, esp. males, and a mostly or totally wet food diet can prevent this. I wish someone had told me!
    My cat does not have a bed. He sleeps by my husband's side. When we go away we leave a worn t-shirt for him to snuggle with.
    Fight to keep the kitten - cats are wonderful pets. Good luck.

27. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 15, 2006

Hi Danny,
    Your kitten probably was taken away from the mom to young. So it's going to suckle a lot. The vets recommend kitten food until about a year old. But I personally only feed it until about 6 months.
    My cats all are fine. I have had a LOT of them over the years.
    Right now I have four.
    We feed Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul. As adults they eat less than 1/2 a cup of food a day. The better the brand the less they need to eat.
    Here is a link that compares food. I did it for you I did
    Chicken Soup for the Pet lovers soul
    Iam
    Nutro Natural Choice
    and Purina One

Personally I do not feed anything that has corn in it. I just dont think it has any benefits for the cats. I also try to stay away from Chicken Meal. They say that a meat is the best for first ingredients.

http://www.naturapet.com/display.ph...at&id1=1072&id2=15&id3=1026&id4=513&x=54&y=11

Best of luck with your new kitty.

28. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 16, 2006

We use Hill's Prescription Diet (one type for the chubby old cat, one type for the younger guy). I recently cut back on the quantity to 1/3 a cup twice a day. Sometimes, I give a snack of a tiny serving of the dry food or some chicken or something.

29. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2006

I had to get rid of the cat today. With everybody allergic, it just got to be too much :( I'm very sad. One of the boys in my little brother's class at school took it, their cat died and they'd been looking for a new one. It should be good for the cat to have two little boys to play with, he's a big ball of energy.

I am sad though.

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 23, 2006

Awwwww. I'm sorry. I have had to give away two different pets and it hurt so much. It sounds like you found it a good home, though. That was my consolation with the two I had to lose.

31. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 23, 2006

Oh I am sorry! If you liked having a cat. You should get your bf to go to an allergist. He can get allergy shots and in about two yrs you should be able to get another cat. That is what bf's sister has done. She has no problems. Also the allergist said you can build up a resistant to your own cat.

32. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2006

I would definatley consider getting rid of the boyfriend and keeping the cat.

33. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 23, 2006

To late she already gave the cat to some sweet children. Well maybe next time (Just teasing).

34. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2006

There is no way in ---- I would get rid of my cats for a man...I would tell him to get some shots or medication.

35. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 23, 2006

Me either but my cats are 3, 5, and 8 yrs old. If I had only had it for a few weeks it may be different.

36. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 23, 2006

I'm sorry to hear you had to give away the kitty, glad its going to a nice home, you should be able to feel good about that.

37. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2006

Yea, I could give away a cat that I had only had for a short time...if I could find a good home. Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do. It all works out okay.

38. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2006

Hmmm...bf of 4 years of cat of two weeks....should be an easy choice :p

He loves animals, and definately wants them even though he's allergic. He's always had dogs, cats, ferrets...
    BUT, my roommate is very allergic, so when he signed the lease we agreed to no pets. So, I was hoping to keep the cat at bf's apartment. Bf and his brother are both allergic, and the third roommate didn't want the cat. So, when actual rent-paying roommates voted, it was 2-1, so kitty had to go.