Kitties!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Cicero, May 23, 2013.

1. Cicero

Cicero Companion

May 23, 2013

We rescued a cat recently that was left out by a dumpster with a little bit of cat food. Poor little girl! She's very lovey and we're happy to have her. However, it has been a long time since I've lived with a cat! Does anyone have any tips to keeping a kitty happy? She's under a year old we believe, and we're hoping the vet can tell us more.

She and my dog are getting along well together. They were cuddled up while sleeping last night. :wub:

One thing I was wondering from other folks with kitties -- what do you do when you go out of town? We go out of town for a weekend every few months or so (and then a week or so during the holidays). We just bring the dog with us, because he can stay at my dad's house. The kitty would not be able to do this, because my dad has a very territorial cat who barely tolerates the dog's intrusion. I was thinking about getting her boarded somewhere, but I am afraid she would feel abandoned again.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 23, 2013

For a weekend, we leave out lots of food, water, and litter and hope he doesn't destroy too much. Longer than that, and we get a house sitter. We can't leave all the dogs longer than overnight, really.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 23, 2013

Cats can be left for the weekend. I've always had cats and dogs and the cats are quite adaptable and adjust to being alone for a few days. How nice that your dog and new kitty are good friends already!

Here is my suggestion: make sure and feed your cat wet food, not solely a dry diet. Make sure the dry food is a high quality brand - nothing you can get at the grocery store. After several bladder emergencies, we switched to Royal Canin dry food. I buy Purina Pro Plan wet food because it is supposedly equivalent to the Royal Canin, but less expensive. Your cat will eat less volume of food and be much more comfortable (and shiny) with high quality products.

Also, clumping litter is so far superior to non-clumping that it would be silly to use anything else. After having two cats hit by cars, I never let my current kitty outside, even though he is upset by this rule and lets me know about it.

Get your kitty used to being brushed early. It will reduce shedding.

5. KateL

KateL Habitué

May 24, 2013

I don't feed my cats wet food, but I taught them to drink from the bathtub faucet so they don't get dehydrated. (Cats prefer running water to still water, and won't always drink enough if all they have access to is a bowl.) Now, whenever I go into the bathroom, they follow me in and jump up on the bathtub ledge to get a drink. It's so cute. :)

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 24, 2013

We leave our cat when we go on our summer vacation. We have a friend come in to water plants, feed the fish & the cat. Some years the only way they know we have a cat is because they need to refill the food bowl. One year, my girlfriend did it for us. They searched a couple of different times before they finally found her under our bed. Last year my daughter's friend did it for us. The cat actually came out & played with her!

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 24, 2013

My cat is really independent and I've even left her for 4 or 5 days. (With enough food and water to last for a few weeks lol.)Other than being very clingy for the first 10 minutes, she acts like I was never gone. She doesn't overeat either. There's a lot of food left over.
    For her water dish I have this. She really likes it and will play with fountian part. (I keep a cute placemat under it to catch the splatters.)

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 24, 2013

Yay! Kudos to you for rescuing this precious kitty! :)

We have two cats. When we're out of town for a weekend we just leave them with lots of extra food and water and an extra litter box (this is important - cats will not want to use a dirty litter box!) When we go on vacation, we get a pet sitter. We have a fabulous one who comes every day and doesn't charge too much. We looked into boarding, but it was more expensive and with the personality of one of my cats, it wouldn't work. He is very sensitive and would be super stressed out if he had to be in a different place for a week or more, especially without seeing us. Cats are really tied to their home more than dogs are - it's their territory - and IMO would do much better if allowed to remain at home while their owners are away.

Definitely take her to a vet ASAP and get her spayed. Cats can reach sexual maturity at around 6 months, so she could already be there. She'll need her shots, too.

I really recommend keeping her indoor only. It's a dangerous world out there for cats. But if cats are indoor only, they need their claws clipped every month or so. One of our cats just split a claw down to the quick because we let them get too long - that was an expensive vet bill and a lot of pain for her.

Enjoy your new kitty! My husband and I are total cat people - we will never be without cats. :)

9. Cicero

Cicero Companion

May 25, 2013

Thanks for the tips everybody! She's definitely made herself quite at home over the last few days. I am thinking she will be just fine for a weekend as long as she has access to her food and water. When we go out for the day and come back she's always just lounging on the bench by the window (which I think has officially become her window seat).

Here are a couple pics of her!

[​IMG]

So pretty! How could anyone give up such a cute face?

[​IMG]

Friends already! This was day one. I think the fact that my little Boston is an old, sweet guy helps her feel comfy around him.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 25, 2013

Very cute! Have you taken her to the vet to make sure she's healthy?

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 25, 2013

AW what a sweetheart! :) I love that she and your dog are already such good friends!

(I also love that someone in that picture is wearing an Arrested Development t shirt, but that's a topic for another thread...:D)

12. Cicero

Cicero Companion

May 25, 2013

That's the fiance! We're super pumped about tomorrow's netflix premiere. We have frozen bananas and everything for the event!

And Caesar she has an appointment this week for shots and a general check up. Fingers crossed that she gets a clean bill of health!

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 25, 2013

Us, too!! :) DH doesn't like bananas, so I guess we can't do those...maybe I'll whip up a pot of hot ham water...? :lol: