Kitten & Working Full-Time?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ChildWhisperer, Dec 6, 2015.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 12, 2015

With my last kitten, we would keep him in the bathroom when we went out for the first few weeks. We have 2 other cats, so we had to make sure he wasn't around them (since they didn't know each other yet) and with him being small, we needed to make sure that he wouldn't get into anything. I recommend kitten proofing a room to keep kitty safe in while you aren't at home. He did fine and once we knew he would be okay with the other cats and was mature enough to get into trouble with stuff in the house.

2. BioAngel

Dec 12, 2015

A big bowl of food and one for water works just as fine. That's what we do if we will be gone 1-2 days. If it is longer, we have a friend stop by to check up on our kitties - they tend to pig out when given too much food, so this works better and we can make sure that they are okay.

3. BioAngel

Dec 12, 2015

Three cats and 2 litter boxes for us... as long as you keep cleaning them out every few days and adding fresh litter on top, you should be fine. I also plug in an air freshner next to the litter boxes and will use Freebreeze air freshner before people come over - just in case. But I have always had comments from people that they are surprised we have 3 cats and no smells. The cat hair every where is the biggest problem - would love to find a tool that really gets it off my couches.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 12, 2015

I have a pet fountain. I got a larger one since I have more than one furbaby but I add an automatic water bowl when we are gone for a day or two.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 12, 2015

Add a squeegee to your list. It gets cat hair off carpets and upholstery.

We have blankets over our couches that we throw off when people come by so they never have to sit in cat hair! Plus it's easy to throw them in the wash every week.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 12, 2015

- carrier - absolutely. This is necessary.
    - collar - we tried these with our kittens and they were NOT having it. Honestly, we personally feel that cats don't need collars if they are indoor only, which ours are. They are microchipped, though. When our kittens wore collars they were constantly scratching at them and trying to get them off. That was our own experience, though.
    -litter box and litter - yes. I recommend unscented. Those scented litters are unpleasant. We use Petco's litter - they have refillable containers. It's unscented and we find it to be low in dust.
    - food and water bowls and food - yes. I recommend doing at least some wet food. Let me know if you want food advice. I've done lots of research. We feed Wellness, but we have also fed Merrick in the past. Mr. Picky won't eat it, though. I've read stainless steel water and food bowls are cleaner. I think ceramic, too.
    - nail clippers - YES. You may also want to get a Furminator deshedding tool. It works wonders. Our cats don't love it, but they'll tolerate it ok.

I would add toys. I see that you got a wand toy (yay), but you'll probably also want to get some mice, crinkle balls, or something that they can play with independently.

I would also add a scratching post/some kind of scratcher. They NEED that. We have great luck with an S shaped scratcher like this. It's held up for almost 5 years and is still in great shape! It's not the only place our cats can scratch, though; we have a tree and a couple other scratcher/condo things.

We've never used an automatic feeder or water thing. I am too much of a stress case, and I don't think I'd trust it. That's not putting them down - that's my own personal problem, lol! Also, since our picky boy's bladder stones, we only feed wet. Once he sees dry food he'll basically go on a hunger strike and refuse wet for days...but that's another story. ;) If you are only leaving for a night or maybe even two, you could do with just an extra litterbox and leaving lots of dry food and several water bowls out. Before Mr. Picky (that's not his actual name, lol) was banned from dry, that's what we did.

I am so excited for you. I love the feeling of getting a new kitty. It's so exciting!

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 12, 2015

I use one that is on a timer so that it feeds my cat the proper portion at the usual times. If I leave out a big bowl or allow grazing, she'll overeat.

8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Dec 13, 2015

yellowdaisies, we JUST ordered the Furminator deshedding tool on Amazon TODAY! (Before I read your post) I'm so glad we picked that one.
    Also, we (ie., HE) plans on making a scratching post & the cat tree so uh, we'll see how that works out :) May end up buying :D
    We also ordered some cat toys too :) And catnip

bella84, YES, that's the kind I was talking about (with a timer) :)

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 13, 2015

Our cats aren't big fans of the furminator, but it doesn't bother some cats. It works very well. It's kind of freaky how much loose fur it gets out!

I guess you could make a scratching post if you were so inclined - maybe with some sisal rope?

I just thought of this - pick up a cheap container of bubbles at Walmart or somewhere. Endless entertainment for $1 or less. Cats just cannot understand where they go when they disappear, and if you're lucky you'll get a cat that will pop them in midair. Very fun.

10. BioAngel

Dec 14, 2015

While kittens may not be thrilled by them, I prefer to have my kittens wear them with a bell. Mine were prone to finding hiding spots that I wouldn't even think they could fit into - the bell at least gave me a hint where they were. Now my 3 cats know their names and will usually come when called or have set hiding spots, so they don't wear a collar anymore.

(This saved one kitten of mine that decided he was going to go sit on the gas line behind my stove once. I ended burning my hand reaching for him, but some how he didn't get burned at all. All because I heard that bell ringing back there...)

bella84 likes this.
  11. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Dec 14, 2015

Bubbles = genius, thank you!

We got a collar with a bell :)

Also, ceramic vs stainless bowls: Thoughts?

And we do plan on starting out with whatever food & litter the shelter uses and then slowly switching over to something else (better?). Any favorites y'all have?

12. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Dec 14, 2015

My Yogi has to be on grain free food because his tummy did not agree with regular food. I get Blue Freedom in the light purple bag. He also gets half a can of Fancy Feast a day - no other brands will do. My Sasha loves Natural Balance. I think she's finally off weight control food. For both of them, I started mixing 3/4 cup old food with 1/4 cup new food for one week. Next week was half and half. Week after was 1/4 old 3/4 new. After that it was all new food.

13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 14, 2015

In case you decide to buy a scratch post, I thought I'd share the one I've had for years. It's the best I've found: http://www.topcatproducts.com. I've order the replacement post a couple times because my cats love it and get a lot of use out of it.

I've always used ceramic bowls, but I don't think I chose them over stainless for any particular reason... just a matter of preference I guess. I have several of them, and I wash them in the dishwasher. I started out with only 2 or 3, but over the years I've accumulated many more. It's so nice to be able to throw them in the dishwasher and not worry about handwashing them between feedings.

I think I already mentioned this, but the Tidy Cats Breeze litter kit is my favorite. It's not fun to deep clean, but there's much less tracking with the litter than there was when I used regular clumping litter.

I agree with the collar with the bell! :)

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 14, 2015

We have stainless bowls, but it might be because they were cheaper? I honestly can't remember.

We tried a few different foods when they were younger, but ultimately Mr. Picky cornered us (LOL). Our cats now eat Wellness wet food, which is pricey, but it comes in 12oz cans, which makes it cheaper than the little cans. We used to feed Merrick back in the day, but he would never eat that. :rolleyes: Once upon a time we also fed Merrick dry food, and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul dry food, but as I mentioned in this thread somewhere, we can't feed dry anymore because our male cat will reject all wet food when given the option, and he has urinary tract issues. I would recommend not feeding only dry food, though. Also, free feeding dry food is generally discouraged because of weight gain - It's better to measure it out to make sure you aren't overfeeding. That said, our Mr. Picky is overweight and has rationed fancy wet food, so who knows.

For wet food, you can also get these pop top lids that go on the partially full cans to keep them fresh in the fridge. That way, you don't have to feed the whole can at once.

Have you considered harness/leash training your cat? Our boy cat actually used to LOVE walking outside on a leash - just in quiet, grassy areas at our apartment complex. Then he had an unfortunate run in with a set of metal patio furniture and decided he hated the leash, but that's another story...lol. It's obviously not a necessity, but some cats love it, and it's good exercise for indoor cats.

15. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Dec 16, 2015

ALRIGHT, HERE HE IS!!!
    (Photo is from the website)
    [​IMG]
    We went to the shelter today, hung out with some kitties, and bonded with this little guy :)
    He's getting neutered tomorrow & we'll get to pick him up on Friday, right at the start of winter break (I'm great at timing, I know :p )
    He's approximately 9 months old; he was dropped off in a box at the shelter a couple months ago.
    We went over many many names, but we might keep his name as Beige, unless anyone has better suggestions?
    He was playful but also super cuddly and loved being held.

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 16, 2015

Congrats on your new baby!

Since he went to the shelter on Halloween, what about Pumpkin?

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 17, 2015

Oh my gosh, so beautiful! Congratulations! 9 months is a great age!

We go with human names for cats, so I'm afraid I won't be much help probably. ;)

18. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Dec 18, 2015

We decided to keep the name Beige because it's unique & funny :)
    He is home now!!!
    Thanks for everyone's advice/suggestions over the last couple weeks!
    [​IMG]

PallasAthena likes this.
  19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 18, 2015

I love his big ears! He's the same age as my kitten.

20. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 18, 2015

Aw, he's beautiful. Congratulations! :)

21. tigger88

tigger88 Rookie

Dec 19, 2015

Aw he is adorable :) Congrats!!!

22. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Dec 19, 2015

I've always had cats - both pairs and singles. It really depends on the individual cat - whether or not they want a companion or if they would prefer to be alone. Consider that when you adopt an older cat or kitten.
    Some cats are put up for adoption with a brother or sister so the agency suggests they be adopted together. Sometimes adult cats are also bonded. It can be fun to watch them grow and play together.
    A few suggestions - do a walk through on your house and look at safety issues if you are leaving the cat/cats home alone during the day. Consider dangers such as cords (vertical/horizontal blinds, electrical - strangling potential), tipsy furniture - falling potential, toilets, plants, small objects, and window screens that can be torn open.
    Also, I've had cats who were finicky about types of litter or litter boxes - clumping v. regular, scented v. unscented, covered or uncovered, litter liner v. no liner, the list goes on. Cats are very clean creatures and sometimes just the wrong setup will create a problem for them.
    I agree also with a previous comment about hairballs. Daily brushing makes a difference but still there is the random wet clump on the floor that you have accidentally stepped on first thing in the morning.
    My current cat has long whiskers and needs a wide water bowl - it took us a while to figure that one out in the beginning.
    You're in for fun. I'd get two - and I'd also look at older cats. Kittens are adopted first but older cats have already been trained and sometimes wait months for a forever home.

23. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Dec 19, 2015

LisaLisa, thanks for the advice!
    The shelter we went through actually requested we get one cat at a time, and then if we want a companion, come back in 30 days or so.
    We ended up getting a 9 month old, and he is PERFECT (I may be biased though! :D :D :D )

- He hasn't tried to bite once, in fact, he rarely meows or even opens his mouth unless it's to eat. He did try to nibble the Christmas tree though
    - He loves to cuddle, be held, and get his belly rubbed (part dog?!)
    - He's been using the litter box with no problem, and eating the food we got him, no hesitation!
    - He doesn't try to jump on things or bite the cords we did leave out
    - He hasn't scratched anything except the scratching post. We almost thought he had been declawed because we couldn't see his claws!
    - He barely sheds!
    - He is super calm and cuddly.

I don't know why anyone gave him up (he was dropped off at the shelter in a box).
    We think he's the perfect cat!

PS: Any suggestions on cat carriers?! The one we got off Amazon ended up being too small. It fits him now but I'm sure he'll grow a little more and it won't fit him then! We ended up taking him home in the box carrier the shelter had, and we're going to return the one we got. We need one ASAP; he has his first vet appointment on Tuesday! Can't keep using a box.. :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  24. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 19, 2015

Go to PetSmart. They have lots and you can see them in person so you can judge which size you'll need.

25. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Dec 19, 2015

[​IMG]
    Yup. Almost 28 years old and we still use a futon as our couch :)

26. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 19, 2015

Love those pictures! You've got quite a view from your window - he must love that! It sounds like he is adjusting super well to his new home. That's awesome!

We just have regular carriers from Petsmart or Petco or somewhere. If storage is an issue, you might want to get one of the soft carriers. I wish we had one of those, but they're pricier so we didn't splurge for one.

That's so odd that the shelter only wants to adopt one at a time. The rescue group where we got our cats (not a shelter - they use foster homes and Petco) actually has a "buy one, get one free" deal. They always want to adopt out more. It's because they never have enough room for all the cats they rescue from kill shelters. However, that group was in southern California, and there are a LOT of people and a LOT of displaced cats down there.

27. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Dec 19, 2015

Right? We were surprised too, because everyone I talked to said we should get 2 and that most shelters will make you get 2. So we asked them and they actually said nope!
    The shelter is also the county animal control, and they also use foster homes and Petco! (Which we visited today to buy a carrier; it was slightly cheaper than Petsmart (we drove everywhere today...))
    I think they've had problems with people adopting and then returning them or just letting them loose again, because we heard it from several employees/volunteers. They said people will also sign the papers to adopt and then call the next day to cancel. So sad

Also, unrelated, but here is the view from our living room during different times of the year/day
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  28. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 19, 2015

He is gorgeous! I love those eyes and that striped tail!

29. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2015

You might want to check on Craigslist for a carriers at a good price. You can take if apart, spray down with a bleach solution and rinse it thoroughly after a few minutes. Buy a carpet sample and cut to fit the bottom so that he will feel secure, and should you have to replace it later, they are cheap enough. You can cut to fit with utility shears. Best of luck.

30. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Dec 20, 2015

Awwwww!!!! What a cutie. As far as carriers I recently had to get a new one as well bc my Yogi grew out of it. I just picked up the biggest size cat carrier I could find. It's hard plastic but snaps together before use, almost like a covered litter box

31. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2016

So happy that your family has grown with virtually no growing pains. He is a cutie, and I am certain that this was "meant to be." Congrats!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    ChildWhisperer likes this.
  32. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Nov 13, 2016

Omg you're right! He is such a great cat. He is just perfect!!!
    We got a second cat! A friend found a pregnant cat living on his property when he moved in (she was left by the previous owners who couldn't find her on moving day) and the cat had 6 kittens! So we took one. She is about 3.5-months-old now.
    She's a calico. She's a bit crazy and into everything, but we're hoping that's because she's still young and she eventually learns how to be a good cat from the other one :)

PallasAthena likes this.
  33. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 14, 2016

I love this. 2 cats are ALWAYS better than one! ;)

And yes, she'll grow out of it. My super mellow, lazy boy was super crazy when we first adopted him at 4 months old.

34. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

35. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 16, 2016

Pretty babies.

ChildWhisperer likes this.