Kitchen Safety/Hygiene

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Giggles1100, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Oct 6, 2008

I teach a Life skills class ranging from mild- severe. I co-teach with 2 other teachers. We normally pick a theme and focus on that theme for a week or 2 during our group time to supplement our TEKS or goals we don't always get to during IEP time.

This week is Kitchen safety and Kitchen Hygiene. I have a ton of things to do, and thought I had enough but started with them today and the kids got some of it and then did not understand alot of it. Now all the stuff I had planned I am afraid might not work. We are focusing on basic hygiene tommorow in the kitchen and why we should wash our hands, we are doing glitter germs to show how germs can move from one object to another ust by touching which they will like, and we are doing the potato science where clean hands touch a potato and then dirty ahnds and we observe them over a few days to see what happens tothem. I think those lessons will be fine but I am afraid the others may be too high.

Any lesson suggestions for these topics:

Kitchen safety with the oven
    Looking for expired food
    How to store food
    How to properly clean the kitchen
    Where do we keep cleaning supplies.
    Good food prep/Bad food prep

Anything you have done would be helpful, I found that other than the 4 kids I taught last year, the rest have had no kitchen work, most of them cannot even make a PB&J, which is what this lesson is leading up to,w e want to start cooking in class in about 3 weeks.

3. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2008

Just a suggestion for the potato experiment: In addition to clean/dirty hands, rub one on the floor. You might not get dramatic enough results from the other two, but that one will definitely be significant and though it's not as direct, you can still go from there to why it's important to wash your hands after touching dirty things, and why food should not be eaten off the floor.

4. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Oct 6, 2008

AHHH! Good Idea because I have a few autistic kids who pick food up off the floor and eat it. Thanks!