Kitchen God's wife

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Alaskanteach, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Mar 16, 2007

Anyone taught it? ideas?

3. b-radical

b-radical Companion

Mar 16, 2007

What class? This book is so intense and wonderful! What do you want the students to gain from reading this book?

4. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Mar 16, 2007

10th grade literature. They really enjoyed House on Mango Street because of its cultural appeal, so I wanted to do an Asian lit book, and this is one that we have in our book room. Originally I wanted to do Joy Luck Club (there is a LOT of stuff for that book) but we don't have that one.. so Kitchen God's wife it is.. I really am not sure where to start. I had REALLY thought that JLC was the one we had, and ordered some curriculum stuff for it (and SOME of it may still work for KGW, because much of it focuses on historic China, etc) but I have no vocab lists, essay topics, etc. for KGW.

5. b-radical

b-radical Companion

Mar 16, 2007

EEK. I'm not going to be any help with curricula! But kudos to you for teaching Tan's wonderful novels! I'm going to our community library's semi-annual book sale this weekend, so I'll scour for you. If I find anything, I'll send it along!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 16, 2007

I like how A to Z works as a community...

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2007

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 17, 2007

I read it (and JLC) and absolutely loved it. I'm not so sure if it is a good choice for high schoolers, though. Maybe I'm just not remembering it well enough. Are these high level students?

9. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Mar 17, 2007

No, not particularly high level.. But they did read Gatsby which has a lot of unusual vocabulary if that is what you think may be the problem.. or was it the content? They really like something a little scandalous.. I am sure it is appropriate material, or else why would we have so many sets in our book room? (obviously, I haven't yet read it myself.. just doing the initial investigation right now as I am on spring break).

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 17, 2007

I may be mixing it up with her first book, but isn't it a lot about relationships? No, I don't think it is inappropriate.

11. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Mar 17, 2007

As I understand it, JLC is the stories of several girls and their mothers' stories.. each mother had lived in China, and was raising her daughter in teh US. Often the daughter didn't understand her mother (cultural differences arising between those raised in US, and those raised in China).. KGW is the second book?? and is the continuation of ONE of the daughter/mother relationships.. Winnie (was she the piano player?)

Anyway, JLC has a film but it is R (no go there!).. anyone taught an intro about Chinese Americans through film? that would get me started.. or music?