Kitchen countertops

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissWull, May 3, 2011.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 3, 2011

So we decided to go with countertops (instead of flooring from my previous thread). We originally chose a quartz (no reason other than I liked the color/style)...but then we found a granite that we loved.

If you have granite countertops in the kitchen I'd love to hear your thoughts! Stain resistance...heat resistance...maintenance...how well they hold up...pros/cons etc. Of course the guys at the store told us all the facts but I'd love to hear from people who aren't selling me the product!

3. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

May 3, 2011

4. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

May 3, 2011

[​IMG]that is what they look like

5. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 3, 2011

I'm obsessed with white counters, black countertops, and butcher block islands.

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 3, 2011

As with any countertops, you'll want to know full well what measures to take in order to maintain them. I know that amonia based products will etch granite. Etching will increase texture thus increasing places for bacteria to grow and decrease polish so that they'll look dull. Repairs are simple to state and simple to enact if you have the proper tools. I've never checked to see how much it costs to restore the polish on granite but you'll want to know that.

7. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 3, 2011

That's where we got ours too! Awesome deal this past weekend. That color looks nice! Can you put something hot on them? Or do you have to put something under it? I'm wondering if it will get coffee stains where the coffee pot is too...

I tried to find ours there but it shows one with smaller specs than it really has...cuz our specs look more the size of yours...just a different color.

8. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 3, 2011

Completely agree! We have white counters, and our new countertops will be darker and we have a butcher block island which we love! The dark floors will come into play later...! ;)

9. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 3, 2011

Granite is one of the hardest substances on the planet. Heat isn't going to hurt it. Chemicals that react with its chemicals will.

10. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 3, 2011

I don't have granite, but my cousin does. She likes it, but knocked a heavy coffe mug off the shelf-broke the mug, but also chipped the granite. She said you have to be careful with the sealer because certain thing have a tendancy to 'erode' the sealer (vinegar, lemon juice, acidy stuff) and when the sealer is off, you have to be careful about stains. She never had problems with hot stuff.

11. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 3, 2011

Good to know! Yes they told us about the sealer and not cutting acidic things on there...but we cut everything on boards anyway. They told us if acidic stuff gets on there just to clean it right away.

12. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

May 3, 2011

My husband (who used to manage a granite and cabinet warehouse) says the following:

Pros:
    Longevity
    Aesthetics
    VERY easy to clean
    If sealed properly, it won't stain

Cons:
    It can sometimes crack and chip, so you can't pound meat on a granite countertop like you could with a post-form top.
    Natural granite is not food-grade, but for a home kitchen, that's not an issue.
    Irregular pattern (but if you like the natural look of a granite countertop, it's a plus!)
    I wouldn't recommend placing a dish straight from the oven on the countertop, but with a wood cutting board or trivet, it's probably okay.

13. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 3, 2011

porque_pig: Nice! Thanks for that list :) Yes, we know the pattern is irregular but we have a more consistent pattern and we actually get to go and pick out the piece of granite we want them to use for it!

I'll have to tell my husband about the meat pounding thing because he does the cooking and he does that all the time!

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 3, 2011

We love our (black) granite. I don't have anything to add to the other comments/suggestions, but we are happy with them. :)

15. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 6, 2011

Here's a pic of it from when I went to the slab yard to make sure they looked good!

[​IMG]

Question: The guys came to measure yesterday and we originally were going to get 'no reveal' on the sink. But he said he's seen a lot of people that have chipped the granite near the sink...so we switched to reveal, meaning now you'll see a little bit of the top of the sink (still undermount though). Have you guys had this problem, those of you with granite?

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 6, 2011

I have granite (much like yours) and our sink is undermount. Just looking at it, the granite seems flush with the sink, but the countertop is probably a 1/4" over the sink. We've had no problems.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 6, 2011

We have granite. You can put hot pans right on it, roll out dough on top... I use a stone cleaner weekly. No stains. Cutting on it is harder on your good knives than it is on the granite.