King Tut/Egypt ideas needed!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Beezus, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

I am taking my class of first graders to the King Tut exhibit in October. I need some tie-in ideas. I could read Magic Treehouse Nile at Noon...and we're going the week before Halloween, so we could do costumes..... Any great ideas? This will be my first year in 1st...so I feel like I'm floundering a bit for appropriate activities. Any help will be appreciated!

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

Are you in Indiana? Check the Children's Museum website - I think there are lesson tie-ins on their site.

I have tons of Egypt lessons but there are all for high schoolers. I don't know the abiltilies of 1st graders - but
    * how about "writing" with hieroglyphs
    *design your own pryamid
    *study of Egyptian Gods

Not sure if any of this will work . . .

4. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

yes...we're going to the Children's Museum. Thanks for the ideas! I must be having a duh moment~ not sure why I didn't think to check the website. Thanks again!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 23, 2009

Read the Jon Scieszka book, Tut Tut. Funny and informative. From the Time Warp Trio series.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 23, 2009

Someone at our school had the kids paint murals. She put a picture up on the overhead, enlarged, and they traced the picture. Then the student painted the picture. Some of them copied freehand from books then painted. It was upper elementary but maybe it could be modified for second grade. It turned out AWESOME! They hung the murals around the classroom and invited the other classes for a tour. The artist gave a brief oral report about his/her painting. Also, I think some of them worked in pairs.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2009

One of the teachers at my kids' middle school decorated his room in an Egyptian theme. It was simple, but awesome. All along a back and side wall he attached construction paper "blocks" so it would look like the sides of a pyramid. It was awesome.

8. FLeducator

FLeducator Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

I sent you a pm, can not post links yet :)

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2009

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 23, 2009

I have a nice little "teacher made" book on Egypt. I'll be glad to email it to you if you pm me with your email address. It was written for 2nd graders, but if you do it as a read aloud it should be just fine.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 23, 2009

Someone in my school made her whole room over into the inside of a tomb. The kids made a sarcophagus, kids were dressed as gods and they came to life and explained their significance, others explained hieroglyphics and the meaning behind other objects buried in the tombs. It was excellent. All grades came to visit the tomb.

12. MsR

MsR Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

You could also make different artifacts together that have to do with Egyptian theme. For example, you could make the scarab beetle coins by spray painting rocks gold and having them draw a scarab beetle on top. You could also use sugar cubes to create a step pyramid together. I believe there is also a SkippyJon Jones and King Tut book that kids just love!

13. MrsChandler

MrsChandler Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

Have them each decorate their own nametags for the museum in heiroglyphics... Good luck! Sounds like you'll have fun!

14. lareed

lareed Companion

Jul 25, 2009

I went to see the King Tut exhibit at the Children's Museum last week! I really enjoyed but I was really surprised to see how it was geared more towards adults. As I was exploring the exhibit I kept thinking to myself that my students (2nd grade) would lose interest very quickly, not to mention that they wouldn't be able to read/understand most of the descriptions. Have you seen the exhibit yet?

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

I have been and thought the same thing too. I guess as a high school teacher I was a little upset that all the publicity and field trips opportunities were geared towards elementary. I KNOW my high schoolers would love this exhibit. I took my reluctant 15 year DD who endured being in my World History class last year and two of her friends (also in my class) and they loved everything. As their teacher, I was so impressed with how much they remembered from class. I think the Children's Museum really missed the boat not including more info for middle/high school teachers. I still think it will be a good trip for the students but a much better trip for older students.

16. mswife

mswife Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

Egyptian Crafts link

This site has directions and printable patterns for crafts for a unit on King Tut/Egypt. When our school had "Let Reading Take You Around The World" as a theme, I used some of these ideas for the literacy night display. The kids loved making them, and they came out awesome!

http://www.daniellesplace.com/html/egyptian_crafts.html