Kindergartner says Mom does nothing with him

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SchoolRocks, Mar 12, 2008.

1. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Mar 12, 2008

THis is so sad. I had to share what one of my Kinder. kids said today. We are making booklets to go with our family theme. The kids had to color all of the "things" they liked to do with their family (park, skating, games, watching movies...) THis boy has trouble academically, so I have to guide him through activities. I asked him, "Do you see any of these things you like to do with Mom." He said "No". I said "What do you and Mom like to do together?" He said "nothing"! :eek: I named each thing and he insisted he does nothing with mom! Granted she works nights, but there are other issues there too. It breaks my heart!:( Instead we focused on what he does with dad, who he only sees every few weeks. Just had to clear my thoughts.

3. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2008

Sadly, this is more common than you would believe.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 13, 2008

Hopefully you do know sometimes kids stretch the truth - my daughter told her kindergarten teacher that we were homeless. We were living in a hotel while we were waiting to close on our house. I received calls from several agencies before we cleared up the issue :) My kids would also tell anyone that I yell at them ALL the time - all I do is YELL. Again, this is so not true :)

5. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 13, 2008

I had one tell me the other day that she has a poke-a-dotted (I can't spell that word) poodle :) HEHE. But...sadly...I've had children like that as well. Mom and dad work all the time and do nothing with them. It's sad....

6. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

Mar 13, 2008

My son (who is five and a momma's boy) said something at school one day...

His teacher was reading "The Runaway Bunny" (I think that is the name of the book). It's about a baby bunny who keeps running away from his mommy by turning into different things. For example, he would turn into a fish and swim away in the river..The mommy bunny then says that she would become a fisherman and fish him out of the river.

Well, my son told his teacher that I would never do that for him...:eek:hmy: :dunno::( I was puzzled why he would say such a thing.. It really hurt my feelings and it actually made me cry. I borrowed the book and read it to him one night. We talked about the book and how much I loved him... I told him if he ever ran away that I would run after him and never let him go... He says, "mommy, you won't have to do that. I would never run away because I love you too much." :wub:

I recently started back to work and I haven't been able to volunteer at my son's school... Last year I went to all his parties and events, but this year I haven't. It was on Valentine's day and there were a bunch of moms there, but I wasn't. I think he may have been upset that I wasn't at the party. Who knows!! :dunno:

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2008

I worked third shift almost all my son's life. I was never able to volunteer, go on field trips, any of that. When you're trying to hold it all together and do what you need to do to provide, there isn't much time or energy left. He was in 5th grade when I quit my job to stay home, and I was able to attend their spring field trip.

8. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2008

BTW- my Jeannie will tell anyone with ears that when I am teaching her all I do is yell and I am mean. Lol- yeah, I am!

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 13, 2008

Glad to know that I am not the only one :lol: :lol:

10. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Mar 14, 2008

SchoolRocks, Just take this knowledge as an extra cue that this little guy needs YOU in his life. It's crazy how students break your heart, keep you up nights with worry, fill your heart with love.