Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cwilson88, Jan 28, 2010.

1. cwilson88

cwilson88 New Member

Jan 28, 2010

What do you think is the greatest challenge in teaching kindergarten?

3. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 28, 2010

I think it is keeping the kids engaged. Kinders cannot sit for more than 15-20 minutes at a time, so it's a challenge to keep things fun for them, even during the transitions.

4. Toak

Toak Cohort

Jan 28, 2010

The noise. Even if they are all quiet, they're noisy with shuffling and the like. I've just gotten to the point where I can sub for kindergarten and not go home with a headache.
    I honestly don't know how regular teachers can stand having kindergartners for 7 1/2 hours a day teaching them subjects I wasn't taught until 3rd grade and still leave with their sanity

5. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jan 28, 2010

The greatest challenge is they come in at all different levels. Some never had preschool and can't write their names. Then there are others who are reading already. Some never been around other kids and socially have a hard time. The challenge is to get them all ready academically and socially for Kindergarten, when there is such a wide range between the lowest and highest.

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 28, 2010

I agree with Zoey'smom - you get kids that don't know what a letter or number IS and others reading chapter books... all in the same class. It is also physically exhausting, BUT of all the grades I've experienced, the MOST rewarding and fun. :D Check out my blog (below) for more of my thoughts on K.

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 28, 2010

I subbed in K before I landed my teaching job. I either made them cry or I wanted to cry. I just wasn't suited for K.

K teachers have all my respect!