Kindergarten... zoo!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kinderlady7, Apr 27, 2021.

1. kinderlady7

kinderlady7 New Member

Apr 27, 2021

There are some days where I feel like my classroom is actually a zoo.

I am a second year teacher and I have devoted so much of my time the second half of the school year to behavior management. As we returned in person, I gained 6 new students in January, 2 of whom have severe behavioral difficulties. Within 2 weeks, I had asked my admin for guidance to which I received none. Literally none. The coach never came when she said she would. She eventually showed and said she would help, did for a week, then did not come back.

Here is what I'm working with. Title 1 school, 17 littles who all need me all the time. One who has anger issues, extreme defiance of (all) authority figures, and refuses to complete any type of work without an immediate reward. Another who is constantly putting down other students, then scream crying when someone responds back to her in any kind of unkind way. A third student who screams and cries any time I speak to them or do not speak to them... yelling when redirected but also yelling if I do not respond to his need right away. All three of these students constantly hold up our learning times with talking, playing, touching, yelling out, etc. And then 14 others who are learning from their behavior that probably looks way more fun. Of course, I feel for my challenging three because I know that they are struggling so much, but this is also way out of hand.

Here is the issue. I have no consequences for these students. I have followed my schools behavioral documentation protocols and have been waiting on counselor observations for these students for FOUR WEEKS (which my P is aware of...) so this process is going no where. I communicate with ones parents every day and the other parents do not have any interest in working with me. Our day is JAM PACKED full of academics to prepare for testing with constant admin walkthroughs to monitor that academic tasks are being completed. My P has informed us to be teaching while they eat breakfast, teaching skills during our 30 min SEL time (which I haven't been) and also cutting their recess and snack time to 15 mins. This little time in our day really provides no time for consequences. Sometimes I have them practice a behavioral task during recess (as a logical consequence) and they complete it perfectly, only to do it wrong again as soon as recess is over. I feel so bad for my other students who really try to meet classroom expectations that these three students who do not try get the same privileges as them. Of course, when we have a fun task they will not get to participate if their behavior has been poor, but this is not often enough to be considered a reliable consequence.

My whole class behavioral management system is a private sticker chart and it works very well for my 14 others. These 3 have their own stamp chart detailing every part of their day with a reward when they receive 7/13 stamps. They have all met that goal a few times, so I know it is possible! I have 28 days left in the school year and while I know that isn't many, I want it to be the best 28 days yet. TIA for any suggestions.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 28, 2021

You're doing a LOT of really good things! I suggest checking out We Are Teachers, especially their articles on SEL Classroom Ideas. Maybe there's something in there that will help you cross the finish line with a flourish.

4. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

May 1, 2021

Instruction. Most immediately leap to wanting a discipline technique to solve discipline problems. The notion instruction is often at the root of many discipline problems seems foreign. For example, if kids are interested and engaged in the teacher directed activity there leaves little time to fall off task and start looking around for other interesting ways to amuse themselves. On the other hand, if students are waiting for help, hands waiving in the air, and the teacher is helping one at a time, typically each student for two minutes or more, what are the rest of the students doing who are on hold, some for ten minutes? Are they going to study for the test? How about talking to your neighbor or getting out of your seat? Now the teacher has to do discipline from afar - “You two back there. Turn around and get back to work. Do what you can until I get there.” - “Where are you going? This is not the time to get a drink!” In other words, discipline problems are spinning off of the way guided practice, an instruction technique, is being implemented. Instead of spending valuable time searching for consequences, consider a look at what causes misbehavior in the first place. For me, in 28 years of teaching I can count on one hand the number of discipline problems that were not a direct result of something I did or didn’t do.

a2z and readingrules12 like this.