Kindergarten writing expectations

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by BeakyBird, Apr 21, 2008.

1. BeakyBird

BeakyBird Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

Our county has a rigorous kindergarten curriculum. We are also a standards based system on report cards. A "3" is mastery of the standard, a "2" is progressing, and a "1" is needs improvement. Here is my question. In order to receive a "3" for this quarter, a student must write 2 or more sentences. So, what do you consider a "sentence" for kindergarten students? Do you teach nouns and verbs? My next question is this... Do you think it's developmentally appropriate for K students to be writing in complete sentences and should we expect them to do this? Is there any research that supports this either way? Thanks!

3. MrH

MrH Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

Our writing standards just state that students need to "use letters and phonetically spelled words to write about experiences, stories, etc... write by moving from left to right and top to bottom." They must also be able to write uppercase and lower case letters and have proper spacing when writing words.

There is nothing about a specific amount of sentences...

However a sentence that I expect my students to write would be one using site words and any CVC words... for example - "I see a cat." Making sure that there is a capital letter, proper spacing, and a period.

There is no way my students would understand what nouns and verbs are... I think this is too developmentally advanced for this age. But I do think that it is appropriate for kindergarten students to be able to write at least 1 sentence without worry to nouns and verbs and such. I focus on capital's and periods / question marks.

Hope this helps!

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 21, 2008

I expect my students to write real stories (Lucy Calkins), use proper spacing, capital letters for the beginning of a sentence and for names, use a period, for the story and picture to match and for the same story to be on all of the pages (the story connects/is part of the same story). My kids don't know about nouns and verbs, we do discuss "describing words" to add details and for descriptive papers.

5. MrH

MrH Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

Your students write real stories in kindergarten??

6. BeakyBird

BeakyBird Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

Tasha - I just bought the unit of study for K by Lucy Calkins. I am anxiously waiting its arrival. I'm going to spend my summer reading and getting ready for next year.

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2008

We do writing every Friday. We write 3 or 4 sentences that incorporate our letter of the week and as many of our site words that we can. An example would be: Queenie Queen quit and sat here on her quilt. The teacher models each letter on the board (on a roadmap just like they have) and they sit on the carpet with their lined paper, a marker board to hold it, and their pencil, eraser, and a spacer. We use capital letters, spacing, commas, periods, question marks and exclamation marks. Then they go to their table and draw a picture that matches what they wrote. So in the above example they would need to draw a queen sitting on a quilt. We would encourage them to make a pattern (like ABAB, or AAB) on their quilt. We always post these in the room or in the office area for everyone to see. Many don't believe that Kindergartners can write sentences!

8. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 21, 2008

Generally kindergarten students are very capable of composing sentences, however, they are usually very simple. Students have to learn first how to just get their ideas on paper, even if it is drawing first. That is how I started my kids off in writer's workshop at the beginning of the year. Over time the kids learn how to describe things. I try to tell my kids to write details so that the reader can make a movie in their mind. To help me kids with this, I read back their writing as they close their eyes. I will ask questions like, "what color is it? How big is it? etc" to get them thinking of more sentences to write.

For the most part, my average student can write 3 simple sentences on a topic, but some of my more advanced students can write 7 or 8 sentences.

In our standards the students are required to write at least one sentence on a topic, use phonetic spelling for simple CVC words and correct spelling of some sight words (I, like, see, etc).

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 21, 2008

It is the basis of Lucy Calkins writing workshop. The kids are supposed to write about real things that are happening in their lives. I have about 45 minutes of writing workshop per day with 20-35 minutes devoted to writing. It takes lots of modeling and starts with pictures and labeling pictures to get to this point. The kids know the difference between writing real stories for writer's workshop and writing fiction stories at other times.

10. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Apr 22, 2008

Wow! Just Wow! :eek:

11. mcjklj

mcjklj Rookie

Apr 22, 2008

We pretty much expect the same thing. They should be able to write two or more sentences, using correct spacing, a capital at the beginning, and correct punctuation at the end of the sentence. They should also use sight words and CVC words correctly and be willing to correct mistakes. Some of the kids need prompting, but most are able to do this by this time of the year.

I am really interested in the Lucy Calkins writing workshop...definitely going to check it out! Thanks for sharing!

12. mokdgteacher

mokdgteacher Rookie

Apr 23, 2008

Writing as far as sentences are not on our grade card. Our state GLE's (grade level expectations) only requires that they "write a sentence using capital letter and punctuation with assisstance" so not on the grade card. I feel it is a very difficult thing to assess. I like to keep a sample of writing from each quarter to show progress. I expect them to write a quality sentence by the end of kindergarten meaning starts with a capital, spaces between words, and punctuation, popcorn words (sight words) spelled correctly, CVC words spelled correctly, other words using inventive spelling. My kids are pretty good writers. We do group writing for our formal writing instruction and I LOVE it!