Kindergarten word walls?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by DrivingPigeon, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 19, 2009

Our "Words We Know" wall is empty the first day of school, but the first thing I put up are the children's names. Then I follow the scope and sequence of our reading/LA series and our county give us the words on tagboard to use. We add about 2 or 3 words a week. My teaching partner puts all the words up right away. She goes over them all the time and her children do learn them rather quickly.
    She just spotlights the current words during that week.

2. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2009

the problem with putting words up at one time is that kids don't make the same connection with them. they need to experience the creation of the word wall. They make learn to read those words, but they will not use them in their own writing as they will if they partake in the actual creation of the word wall.

Just my two cents.

3. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Jun 20, 2009

I put them up as we learn them. I made my own titled "Wild Words" I got a few yards of leopard print fabric and covered the bulletin board (instead of using paper). I put leafy vines along the top to make it wild! I make my own letters and word cards. pretty easy and everyone loves the fabric- you could really use any kind for any theme!

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Jun 20, 2009

A great activity to do during whole group reading time is to chant the word wall. The kids love it! Its a great way to review the words quickly and model an activity they can do at center time. I pick one child each time to take the pointer and lead the class in chanting/reading the word wall. By the end of the year the kids become out of breath by the time they are done chanting it, and are amazed at all the words they now know.

5. duribe100

duribe100 Rookie

Oct 27, 2010

I add little by little .... otherwise you defeat the purpose

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 28, 2010

I put them up as we learn them too... this year I'm trying something new - using The Three Habits of Highly Successful Reading Teachers... the kids are learning a new word a DAY (we usually do 4 a week) - so far we've learned almost 20 words (we didn't start for a few weeks)... it's AMAZING. :)

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 29, 2010

Wow, how did this post get revived? It's from before my first year of teaching, and now I'm in year three. Funny!

8. mom2kkj

mom2kkj Rookie

Oct 30, 2010

Thank you for "re-visiting" this :) I am a new K teacher and have been clueless to a word wall (I was a pre-K teacher before this).
    I am going to start this next week. I'll start with the kids' names, the colors we have learned so far and any words we've done.
    Question:
    Is this for high frequency words, not words like days of the week, months of the year, and words we are using during units like: butterfly, caterpillar, pumpkin, apple etc?

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 31, 2010

I use my word wall for names and high-frequency words. I have a ring of monthly words that I put in the writing center (pumpkin, Halloween, boo, etc.). I think it gets too busy if you put names, HF words, unit words, seasonal words, etc.