Kindergarten Thematic Unit--Need ideas!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lovetolaugh75, Jun 24, 2005.

1. lovetolaugh75

lovetolaugh75 New Member

Jun 24, 2005

Hi! I am going to be student teaching in Kindergarten this fall. I am currently taking one of my last classes which is a Social Studies class. I am required to create a thematic unit that can incorporate 4 mini units. They are a Literary unit, History unit, Geography unit, and a unit of my choice. It has to be a total of 10 lesson plans to cover 10 days. It is supposed to be centered around a chapter book but since I will be in Kindergarten my teacher said I could use a few easy children's books instead. I thought I would do a unit on farming since it will be fall, but if anyone has any other good ideas I am open to suggestions. If you think farming would be okay can you give me any ideas for things I should definitely cover or links to good lesson plans? This is due by July 9th and I need to get it done soon! Thanks for any help you can offer. :p

Alissa~

3. srh

srh Devotee

Jun 24, 2005

I did my Kindergarten unit last semester on weather. I needed only six lessons, and I specifically covered clouds (we did cloud watching), wind (we went outside with paper streamers and bubbles), and rain (we made rain in a jar). I also had a local weathercaster in the classroom on the last day of the unit; he shared simple instruments and read the book Little Cloud.

On each day of the unit, I brought in the previous night's weather forecast on video (by our guest forecaster, of course!) and we checked him for accuracy by reading the morning newspaper the next day (incorporating social studies!). Then, while we sang the Weather Song, two weather helpers went to check the day's weather, and we marked in on a chart, etc.

I had a read aloud for each day's theme, did "dress-up" to get them to guess the weather I was dressing for, and we used some non-fiction books to learn about weather instruments, etc. I could see how you could easily incorporate history and other subjects into it. I even made up a file folder board game with weather icons to use in the math center that week as well as a math manipulative using egg cartons and spoons with weather icon stickers.

Sorry, I've rambled. But I always loved weather, and suspected these students would too. They learned a lot of new things. They impressed "Angelo" with their knowledge about the instruments. But the favorite thing for them was playing "Angelo Says" (Simon Says). We had great fun and it all made for great portfolio pictures!!

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 25, 2005

You could something on Apples. Discuss Johnny Appleseed, where apples grow, visit an apple orchard if possible, graph their favortie kind of apples, taste different kinds of apples. Make an apple tree, do apple prints and so on.

5. Julie

Julie Rookie

Jun 28, 2005

You could do a whole fall theme - apples, johnny appleseed, fall, pumpkins, weather, etc. Check out the KinderKorner website. Could not have taught Kdg. without it!

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2005

I did a short unit on Johnny Appleseed last fall, and I was shocked at the amount of kids who know nothing about him!