KINDERGARTEN SUCCESSES !! (Hooray!!)

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by McKennaL, Oct 17, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 17, 2009

Let's celebrate those (little and HUGE) successes that we have with our kids.

(1) The success

(2) What it took to bring the success -a method, a story, a demonstration, some technology, etc.

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 17, 2009

I am piloting the Handwriting without Tears program with the kindergarteners.

And with the magic gel (hand lotion) on the index finger (rubbed with the thumb to demonstrate the pinch grip) and the pencil flip, i automatically had a room of correct pencil grips. And it's lasting!! The other teachers who worked with the kids are SHOCKED about how it has changed their grips IMMEDIATELY.

I DO though have to work on the thumb bend on some. The straight thumb (as they say in H W/O T) causes "wrist writers"...instead of pinch writers.

I LOVE Handwriting without Tears. It is REALLY helping...even the more challenging Tier 3 kids.

(Which would make sense since this is the program of choice with many OTs.)

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Oct 17, 2009

I am also starting Handwriting without tears this year. I really like it, too. The kids are doing so much better this year. I still have a couple of kids who have to work on their pencil grip too. I Love the idea of hand lotion. McKennal, I would love to hear more of your ideas that have to do with HWT as the year goes on. I feel like I am in this a little blind because I am the only one in my building doing it. Our OT comes maybe once every two weeks.

My success with HWT is that when we first started they hated to write and many wouldn't even try. They love the songs that go with the program. Now they can't wait to do hand writing. I also hear them correcting each other, "You need to start your letters at the top." Then they start singing the song together.

My other success story is with math. When we first started most of the kids could not count past 11. Yesterday I assessed them and one of them counted to 100 and a majority could count to 29 and farther. I think for the most part it is the calendar routine that helps. We also have calendar folders where we write and count our numbers on a hundreds chart for the number of days we have been in school and we also count the numbers on the calendar.

My class is so low this year so to have one counting to 100 already and few on their way, is a big deal.:)

The kids are also trying to become members of the I Can Clubs . . .
    One little boy is a member of 6 clubs already. Some of the Clubs I used are: I can tie my shoes, I know my capital letters, I know my lower case letters, I know my colors, I can count to 100, I can read my color words, I know my shapes, I know my address, and I know my phone number. These are some of the skills they have to know for the report card. The kids are motivated to become members especially when they see others singing the poster on the wall.
    I plan on making more clubs as the year goes on.

I am looking forward to hearing other success stories and how they did it.

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 20, 2009

Ok - this isn't a success really. I was assessing a little girl and when I showed her a rectangle she said, 'Wait, I know this one, it's a septangle.' I just smiled - so cute, even if she was wrong! :)

6. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 20, 2009

So today I got a new student. This student transferred from his old school to my school because evidentally he was miserable at his old school and cried all day long every day. No tears today! I kept him too busy to cry. :D :lol:

7. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Oct 20, 2009

I have a little guy in my class that entered my room knowing absolutely nothing! He didn't know any colors, numbers, letters, he couldn't even count to 10. He didn't know how to hold a pencil much less write anything. He didn't even know how old he was! Well, we are now 38 days in and he is doing very well. He is still so behind the rest of my class, but he is making nice progress. He now knows all the letters, numbers and sight words we have learned. He can even write his name. I don't think I did anything special. He just finially was put into an environment where someone took interest in him. I teach in a low income district and am used to kids coming in with few skills, but this child was ridiculous. I would be embarrassed to send my child to school so unprepared. We offer free public PreK in our district, but this mother was too lazy to even take advantage of that program. This little guy is so cute and I am so excited to see how far I can take him this year.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 20, 2009

I have a student that came to me diagnosed as non-categorical emotionally disturbed (I am not sure this will continue be his diagnosis but he has some issues none the less) and today he had a really good day!

I had another student that was just a pain and so I implemented a mini-behavior plan with her for a few weeks and have weaned her off of it and she is still doing great (or at least typical 5 year old stuff ;)).

My class overall is reading like crazy, I love it. Of course I have some that need extra help to keep up but I think they are all at least average reading-wise and no one is on RtI so far.

The first 9 weeks is almost over and I feel good about where I am in the curriculum and how planning is going.

9. CANteach

CANteach Rookie

Oct 20, 2009

My kids are reading around our room non-stop and coming up to me every five minutes with words that start with the sounds we have been focusing on! AND I finally feel like I'm actually getting some work/teaching done! ;)

10. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 21, 2009

The student I retained from last year is in my class this year. It is the best place for him b/c he is so shy. The other day he spelled fox by himself "focs." Not perfect but I was thrilled, he couldn't do this last year. He was always lacked the confidence to try and spell a word by himself. He is building the self confidence he needs!!!!

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 22, 2009

I have a little boy in my intervention group that has sensory issues. He was not wanting ot write his letters and the other teacher brought over this sand tray. I took his hand and together we drew a letter in the sand.

In the middle of the move, I was thinking "Sheeesh, I didn't even THINK about if he would have a melt down with being touched - let alone having his arm/hand manipulated. but here I am doing it-so I'll contiue for a short while - with confidence."

Last night I was speaking to the Spcieal Services Teacher on his case and she was shocked and surprised that I had done that, that he allowed me to, and that the results were good. It even is giving HER confidence that he will allow touching/manipulating again in the future.