Kindergarten Substitute, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jen78tx, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Jen78tx

Jen78tx Rookie

Aug 31, 2015

Well I will be subbing this week for an elementary school, kindergarten class. I just started this and I have only done para positions so far. I am a little nervous about having a whole class on my own. I definitely could use any tips or advice. I do hope the teacher leaves work for the class!

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 31, 2015

Have patience and confidence is the best advice I can give. :)

These little ones are new to school. They want a leader who knows what's going on and is able to help them learn the ropes of what it means to be a student.

Good luck!

4. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 31, 2015

The teacher will definitely leave work for the class. And many times, they over plan and you won't get through everything. Try your best to follow their plans as best as you can, and realize they will be a little crazy because you are a sub. I'm sure they haven't been in school long and are still learning how to be students. Have fun and go with the flow. I love kindergarten- they are adorable.

5. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Aug 31, 2015

Subbing kinder is really fun! Try to use lots of transitions...the little ones can't sit for very long. Carpet time, then maybe fly like planes over to their desks. Done with seat work, come to the carpet by colors they are wearing (if you are wearing red, come sit, etc.). Wild and not listening? Turn it into a game of Simon Says. I've found the kinders LOVE Simon Says :)