kindergarten sight words & word families

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jlj, Nov 11, 2014.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Nov 11, 2014

How many sight/high frequency words have you introduced by now? How many do you intro at a time and how long do you spend on them before you intro new ones? When you assess them is it for recognition only or spelling as well?
    When do you intro word families and how long do you spend on each group? In the past I have used the word families as spelling words the 2nd semester. The children like that they have spelling like the "big kids" and we strengthen rhyming at the same time. :)
    Oh, and what about color and number words?
    :thanks::)

3. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Nov 11, 2014

I don't know how qualified I am to answer this question, but I sub regularly for a kinder teacher. I was there yesterday, actually, and will be going back tomorrow and Thursday :) I've been with her kids four or five times so far.

As of yesterday, the kids know all of their basic color words (ROYGBP, black, white, pink, gray, brown). I'm not sure about the number words. For sight words, the teacher sends home eight every week for homework. If the kids come back the following week and can read the whole sheet, they get a new sheet. The kids that have mastered every sheet as they have gotten them are on sheet 7 this week...so that's 56 sight words :) I'd assume this is just recognition at this point.

4. Alika0121

Alika0121 New Member

Nov 12, 2014

I also teach the color words to my kids within 7 days.Now they all know about the basic color and also about their spelling.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 12, 2014

I think we are at 25 words right now. I usually have 2 words each week, but there are weeks when there are 3. I assess on reading, but expect them to write them correctly and use the word wall if they need to. Word families are the second semester with 2-3 per week with the same vowel. This year as we introduced each vowel as a letter, we also taught 2 word families. I think it has advanced their blending skills, but I think we will need to reteach them in the spring to master it and be able tot apply it as a spelling pattern they use consistently.