Kindergarten rules and procedures help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Newkindermom, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Sep 23, 2015

Hi all,

I am starting out my 2nd year teaching kindergarten. Last year, I struggled with classroom management and already I am in the same situation 3 weeks into the year. I have rules (that are posted and reviewed daily). I have routines that I have tried to implement and already many children are not following them. Also one of my biggest issues is children not listening when I signal their attention.
    I work in a difficult area, many ELL's, many behavior problems, and many students who have never been in school before. I know I should be patient but I feel like if they are already ignoring my directions and talking over me I am in for another really long year.
    I would love if someone could answer some specific questions
    - what do you do to keep students from talking over you in K?? (Some of mine just don't get it and then I have to wait for them and them I lose them all).
    - what are your best strategies for keeping K students on task (not playing) when they should be working? (I have so many that already say they don't like school and are deliberately off task and then some that just fool around)
    What do you do when you have many students with difficult behaviors who disrupt during lesson time without having to be negative? I feel like the only way mine stop is when I specifically address them and breaks up the lesson.
    What if my students just are not getting the procedures I teach?? I have some that just cannot independently complete any tasks.. Packing up, etc.
    I want to be more successful and more positive this year but already I find my students tuning me out and being disrespectful! I have behavior plans in place that I frequently reteach and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I appreciate any specific help/anything you do that keeps K kids following classroom rules and procedures. Thank you!!

3. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Sep 23, 2015

I am a first year teacher (so I have less experience than you), and I teach 5th, so I probably can't offer much help. However, I know you said your rules are posted and you review them regularly, but do you actually model and practice these routines and procedures? If these kids have never been to school, they literally might not know how to do certain things that would seem really simple, like how to sit on the carpet and listen to the teacher, or walk quietly in the hallway, etc. Just telling them how to do it probably isn't enough. They need to see it being done correctly and practice doing it correctly, as many times as it takes until they understand.

I've been complimented on my classroom management a few times this year, and for me the key has been not only modeling and practicing what I want my kids to do, but enforcing consequences consistently and fairly when those expectations aren't being met.

Again, I know 5th is MUCH different than K, but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in there. Good luck!

4. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Sep 23, 2015

Hi thanks for the input! I definitely do model and practice, but I feel like I could do it ALL day and still some of them wouldn't get it. Then I tend to lose some student attention when modeling/practicing more than once then they all get off track.. Ugh!

5. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Sep 23, 2015

Sounds like you're doing all the right things! Hopefully someone with some Kindergarten experience can help you out!

6. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Sep 23, 2015

I do appreciate your help though!

7. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Sep 23, 2015

Do you have a discipline plan? We use clip charts for the whole school, but in my K class I also include a warning color. So when students pull their clip to a warning they know the conduct grade is not changing yet, but they have been warned. Are you following through? You have to follow through on consequences when students misbehave. Most consequences should be logical. If a student can not be quiet during instruction, move the student away from the group. If they are playing during work time, have them complete the work during recess.
    This is how it would play out in my class. Say a students in crawling under the table. I would tell the student to get up and not do it again, that is the warning and that student will then go move their clip to the warning color. If the student continues to crawl under the table that student would be moved to the carpet and pull their clip down to the next color. Pulling a clip alone is not a consequence; it's just a visual representation that a consequence had to be given.

8. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Sep 23, 2015

Yes I also use a clip chart and most everyone in my school does as well. But I see that I should also have a consequence along with moving the clip. Thanks for your examples that is really helpful. I think I sometimes feel badly like I don't want to embarrass the students by making them leave the rug during lessons, etc. But obviously that is not helping!
    Do you have any suggestions for getting the whole class to complete class procedures correctly?? I have kids model and after one child the other students aren't even paying attention at that point. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

9. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Sep 23, 2015

I have students who still do not want to follow procedures. I actually had a problem with a couple of students today. My students choose their centers first thing after they pack up. I had a couple of boy who unpacked but didn't choose centers because they were playing at the cubbies. When it was time to go to centers, they had nowhere to go. So as a consequence, they had to sit at their tables and do seat work during center time. They were upset to not have a center, but I know that if I had just let them make their choices then, they will repeat the same behavior tomorrow.