Kindergarten pros & cons

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by PinkLily, Mar 6, 2010.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Mar 6, 2010

I'm seriously considering switching to kindergarten next year. I've already taught grades 1-3 and I'm ready for a change. Before I make the switch, I'd love to hear what you consider to be the best or worst part of teaching kindergarten.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 6, 2010

I'm not sure there is a worst part for me. They are immature-you have to tie shoelaces and remind them to go blow their nose. The parents are helicopters the first couple of weeks until they learn to trust you.

Best part: they love learning! We had a 20 minute lesson on the heart the other day, very spontaneously because someone asked a question and then another, and another. They love coming to school and really want to please you. All I have to do is look at most of them when they've made a bad choice and say "I'm so disappointed". They make sooooo much progress in a year, it's unbelievable. Writing a few letters in the beginning, to writing stories. Kindergarten Rocks! :D

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Mar 6, 2010

I love teaching Kindergarten. The best thing I like about it compared to any other grade, you get to see so much growth in one year. Many of them come in not knowing how to write their name or even know their letters and numbers. Then by the end of the year they will know how to read, count and write sentences. They grow up so much. There is so much growth.

The worst thing about Kindergarten is the beginning of the year. I go home tired everyday when school first starts. Once they know the routine and what is expected, then things go a little smoother. You may have criers and talkers. Usually by the end of October I see big changes.

Kindergarten is just a fun grade.
    I also love the hugs I get everyday. They are also very funny, you will hear something funny everyday.
    Good Luck in whatever you decide to do.

5. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Mar 6, 2010

I find Kindergaten to be so rewarding. I absolutely adore the fact that EVERY thing I teach them is new and they are doing things for the very first time that they have never done before, such as writing and reading. I still cry everytime one my kids reads for the very first time, it's like a baby walking for the very first time, you never forget it! I just think Kindergarteners absorb SO MUCH, and as a kindergarten teacher we are giving them their first impression of school and helping to develop whether they are going to like school or not down the road, very influential age to work with!

6. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Mar 6, 2010

Cons - the first month is exhausting! All you really "teach" is routines and procedures for a week or two at least!

Pros- I know this varies but, we have no state mandated testing aside from DIBELS, we don't have grades to turn in, just 9 wks. progress reports, no papers to grade, etc. I am always relieved I teach kinder after being in the meetings about high stakes testing!

Plus, they rock! They are motivated and want to please you. You see so much growth over the year it's AMAZING! They learn to read, write, and make decisions for themselves! I love it! They really "grow" and become individuals! Parents also aren't sure what to expect and really want to help...the child and parent are excited about school and don't have any negative experiences yet since they are just starting with you!:)

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Mar 6, 2010

I just have to ditto what everyone else is saying. I started in 2nd grade, went down to first, and finally landed in kinder - I wouldn't have it any other way. I love kinder.

They come in with such little academic knowledge and leave flying high.

8. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Mar 7, 2010

Pros- No state testing.
    No papers to grade or grade books
    Students love you and are eager to please
    So much growth from Aug-May

Cons-The first few weeks are exhausting with trying to calm parents and students and teach rules and procedures.
    There is always a crier in the class at least at the start.
    One on one assessments for progress reports is time consuming.
    The other teachers think you have it easy. LOL

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2010

I teach K-5 and I actually prefer teaching the older students because they are a little more independent.

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2010

we do have state testing - TPRI and are expected to perform well as other grades.

I do love not having to grade.

parents do still think their children are 2 year olds and should be treated with kid gloves. They are amazed when they begin to realize just how much the little ones can do.

Other teachers do think we play all day. I know, at least in my district, kinder is a mini-1st grade.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 7, 2010

I forgot about that. Not only other teachers, but my friends and family think that as well. How can you be tired all you did all day was play with a bunch of kids, right?

We also take a standardized test are required to do benchmarks and weekly tests-so I do grade. Not as much as older kids that are doing essays, etc - but there's a lot more data crunching required now than even just 5 years ago.

12. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 7, 2010

Not to shamelessly plug my own blog, but you might want to check it out. I used to teach 2nd and moved to kindergarten this year.

http://halpey1.blogspot.com

I will say this, after more than half the year in K, I can't imagine ever teaching anything else. The pros (most have already outlined) seriously outweigh the cons in my book.

You definitely have to have the right temperament and personality for K (patience, patience, and MORE patience) but the rewards are endless... the amount of smiles, hugs, pictures, and hand holding is amazing. :D

13. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Mar 7, 2010

I do weekly assessments as well. I have to listen to each child read 10 words and 5 sentences as well as a skill of the week assessment. For all chapter/unit assessments we analyze results to turn into the principal!

How do your kids take the tests!? One on one? Or whole group? I just can't see my kids being quiet enough to take a big state test in a whole group setting!

We only play at recess for 30 minutes just like all the other grades.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 7, 2010

We have 6 days, about 2 hours per day for the standardized testing, in January might I add (after I've had them for 3 1/2 months), fill in the bubble.

My weekly tests are spelling and then 10 questions review in all our subjects for the week. Our benchmarks are all multiple choice, sometimes 30 questions. I do them whole group starting in about mid-September because they have to get ready for that format for testing. On my tests it's all not multiple choice-I do a lot of draw something for vocabulary or critical thinking. Still I don't think it's developmentally appropriate, but it's what I have to do for our admin and our 1st Grade teachers.

I still have them read to me daily and do fluency/math assessments one-on-one. It just makes for a lot of assessments.:unsure:

15. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Mar 7, 2010

I taught grade 1 and 2 then Special Services for 12 years and I was tired and a bit burnt out. I started teaching Kindergarten 9 years ago and it was like a new career! I loved and still love teaching K's. I agree with the other teachers; Sept. and Oct. are very tiring while you get your routines and behavioral expectations set up but it's sooo worth it when you see the children learn to listen and realize what they can do. Parents are amazed too.

Here we have outcomes expected for each subject area and suggested resources but we have the freedom to plan how we achieve the outcomes which is a refreshing change from teaching the upper grades.

The children are so eager to learn, and are fun to teach. Setting routines and behavior expectations is really important, once that is achieved you'll have a great time. Other teachers, expecially high school teachers (we are a K to grade 12 school) sometimes think I have it easy but I invite them in sometimes; a HS English Dept. head visited for a hour one day and he was flabbergasted at all we do, he said, "You never stop to sit, you are always doing something. I could never do it!"

Kindergarten is a great grade to teach, you learn something from the children everyday and if you really love children it's the best job in the world!

16. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Mar 7, 2010

Thanks for all the replies. Based on all the feedback, I'm pretty sure that I'll love kindergarten. I'm most looking forward to getting away from all the corrections. I will still have to evaluate my students and do report cards though. The only thing that worries me is writing report card comments for 40+ kids each term. Yikes!

17. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Mar 8, 2010

After 33 years in Kindergarten, I guess there are more pros than cons for me! I agree with what everyone else has said. And since I am now alot older-those beginning few weeks are killer. My main con is that even our adminstration still isn't sure what we DO in Kindergarten-so often have either very high expectations or very low expectations. We are expected to attend meetings that have nothing to do with Kindergarten and never will. And anytime there is a schedule change, canceled class, no sub--it goes to Kindergarten, because we don't seem quite as important as the upper grades. We are at the end of the importance list!