Kindergarten Persuasive/Opinion Writing Demo

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SCTeacher23, Jul 7, 2015.

1. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 7, 2015

Hello! I have a demo lesson tomorrow for whole group Kindergarten and I have 30 minutes. I was thinking of doing it on opinion/persuasive writing. I was going to do a Read Aloud of either "Can I Have a Stegosaurus, Mom?" or "I Wanna Iguana" (but open to other suggestions). I may only read part of the book depending on time. Then, I was going to have them turn and talk to their partner about the character's opinion/how they tried to convince another character about what they wanted. Then I was going to do a shared writing - basically with me doing the same activity as they are doing but modeling it. I will come up with a sentence and have them help me spell the words. Then, I was going to give them a paper with a spot to draw their picture and to write. Should I give them a topic (such as write about a pet you would want, etc.) or let them be creative and write about anything they like/want and why? I was also going to create a chart with sentence stems such as "I think..", "I like..." etc. Any thoughts/feedback or anything I should change? I don't want the lesson to be too easy, but I don't want to make it too difficult either. I asked the P about the level of the students and he said they are in the summer program, and they have already completed Kindergarten but are on a Kindergarten level.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2015

You could have differentiated paper for them to write about what they want. Plain paper with lines for writing and space for a drawing. Paper with s sentence starter: I want ----- because ------- Have a share time for closure.

4. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 7, 2015

Thanks! I like that idea a lot but what would be the best way to determine who to give what since I don't know the levels? Should I start with giving everyone the blank one and if they are struggling give them the harder one or vice versa? Also would you give them a specific topic such as "Tell about a pet you want" or let them be creative and say anything they want/like?

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 7, 2015

I think this is a fabulous lesson, but it seems a bit ambitious for 30 minutes.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2015

I agree - great lesson, but maybe too much for the amount of time allotted to it.

7. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 7, 2015

Any suggestions about what to cut? I don't want to just focus on a read aloud - and I also don't want them just writing the whole time. I want to showcase how I'd actually do a writing lesson in the classroom. I was also thinking about only reading part of the story or having them only spending a few minutes on writing with the explanation that they would finish it the next day if this were an actual lesson. But I would love any other suggestions.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2015

Could you read, discuss, and pick what their topic would be, and maybe a few words that they would like to use, and at that point, perhaps start or plan their pictures, knowing that there will be more to do tomorrow, or next lesson, etc? I think that focusing them on words that would be excellent in their writing is part of the process. Perhaps the group can come up with words that they might like to use to describe, other words that are the action verbs, etc. You can use your pair/share for these, getting to your collaborative learning that I am sure you want to include. By acknowledging from the beginning that this is a two day project, you get to help them visualize the process of writing , which is, after all, a trial and error process for most of us. I don't teach the itty-bitty's, but I know about writing.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2015

You can do this in thirty minutes....

Intro the iguana book, discussing how this is about a boy who really wants an iguana and how he is trying to persuade his parents to get him one. Read or summarize just a short excerpt, highlighting how the boy is giving reasons why he should have an iguana...(pick examples with GOOD reasons!)
    Then demo write a sentence about something you want... All of this should take less than 10 minutes...(remember, mini lessons should be mini!!)
    Have kids think about something they want, give thumbs up when they have an idea, maybe turn and tell a partner what they want and a reason why they should get it...Send off to write... (2 minutes)
    As far as the differentiated paper, you could give them a choice. You could write in your lesson plan that in your own classroom you would know the kids' readiness levels which would help you scaffold their writing through differentiation.
    Circulate through class to confer.. Give about 15 minutes to write...
    Wrap up with group or partner share. Close with reminder that writers persuade their readers by saying what they want and giving reasons why. 5 minutes...

10. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 9, 2015

Thanks! I did do the lesson and I was able to get through the whole thing. I didn't get any feedback, as the next candidate was coming in towards the end of my lesson, but the P did quickly say it was a good lesson and she'd be in touch.