Kindergarten! Need! Help! Now!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by NeoTeacher, Mar 13, 2013.

1. NeoTeacher

NeoTeacher Rookie

Mar 13, 2013

Thanks for the help but I'm erasing it to protect my identity.

3. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Mar 13, 2013

Do the children know your expectations of them? Does the aide know your expectations of him? Kindly, let him know what they are and that you are the lead instructor. You appreciate all the help he provides (even if you dont think he's helping), and would like him to be more involved in what YOU are asking the kids to do, and that you think the other kids would benefit from his help. You could start asking him directly to work on certain tasks with certain students (not in the posse). OR, give him lots if "busy work" to do. Idk what your aides' roles are, but I'm sure you could find A LOT of cutting, copying, and other prepping for him to do;).

It's your classroom, whether he's been there longer or not, you need to take/have control of it. Don't be rude about it, but it has to be done. If he wanted his own room, he should have applied for the position.:2cents:

4. comaba

comaba Cohort

Mar 13, 2013

Do you have any incentives for good behavior? Stickers? Jolly Ranchers (if your district allows candy)?

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 13, 2013

Have you tried a behavior chart? It took 8 weeks, but I got my worst ADHD student to dramatically improve.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 13, 2013

I 2nd this. Not busywork per se, but make them your helpers. Give them responsibility.

edit: I was referring to your students.

7. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Mar 13, 2013

They listen to him because they know him and he lays down the law. This is easier said than done, but you need to have an honest conversation with the aide. Explain what you have been noticing and your plan for moving forward to address certain issues. Make sure to discuss your expectations of him. For example, "I see that ____ and ____ respond well to you. Please redirect them to the lesson I am giving so that they can be on the same page as the rest of the class." Don't be afraid to be a bit blunt, if necessary.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 13, 2013

Starting mid-year is tough. Talk to your aide, tell him what you need him to do. Go over the rules & procedures that you want the class to follow, especially if any are different from the previous teacher. Let him know that there will be times that you need to do whole group activities which means he will need to be sitting with the whole group, maybe with a child who needs to sit a little apart from the others.

Nip the inappropriate behaviors in the bud. I've told kids that they were not going to be the class clown that they needed to get it together. I use a firm voice, I will even turn my body square to the child & use my teacher look. The firm voice is different from my angry voice.

Today I got my angry voice out for one of the few times this year. I had a little guy that was disrespectful earlier in the morning (actually as we were getting ready for lunch) & then he tried to continue it this afternoon. I don't think he'll be doing that again any time soon. He had to remove himself from the group & then couldn't participate in our activity. He also got a note sent home. I rarely call home.

When your challenging students do the right thing, praise them! Make it a huge deal! Call home for the good things.

As for having more girls then boys, it's the first year ever that I've been almost even. I have 1 more girl then boy. It's usually mostly boys.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. I've been in your position before.

9. NeoTeacher

NeoTeacher Rookie

Mar 13, 2013

I came up with one for my worst student I just haven't implemented it yet. We're about to go on Spring Break and I plan on whipping it out when we return. Thanks

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2013

Have you seen the clip chart? It works wonders!

I usually start each lesson by going over the rules and I will pause if rules aren't being followed. It's as simple as, thumbs up if you have your eyes on me, thumbs sideways if you need to work on this.

11. NeoTeacher

NeoTeacher Rookie

Mar 13, 2013

Yes, I do. I have a treasure box that and I usually give out candy randomly when I see someone that is on task and following the rules. That straightens them up. The more that I think about it I am making progress with my kiddos. It's just that the worst 3 overshadow the others. I think I just need to stay consistent and patient with them. :thanks:

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2013

You definitely need to stay consistent with them. It will help. I would also have these students sit up by you but split up with a student or two in the middle.

13. NeoTeacher

NeoTeacher Rookie

Mar 13, 2013

No. What's the clip chart? Kindergarten is such a new experience for me. All tips and ideas are welcome.

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2013

It's basically a color code chart. You can search for it and see a picture.

Mine is rainbow colored. The top three levels are for students doing well and the bottom three are for students who need reminders. So...purple: outstanding, light blue: great work, blue: good day, green: ready to learn, yellow: think about it, orange: slow down, red: contact home.

I try to start my day by catching as many students doing something well and asking them to clip up. Then I can ask students to move up for good behavior or move down for not so good behavior. My most difficult kids really buy into it!

You can also make a chart where the kids color in their level each day for parents to see how the kids were.

15. NeoTeacher

NeoTeacher Rookie

Mar 13, 2013

Thanks so much! My teacher look works for everyone but them. I feel like I've been giving the negative behavior too much attention and all they're seeking is attention. Ignore the unwanted behaviors and praise the wanted ones. It's so easy for me to say but as soon as I get in the class I seem to forget it.

16. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Mar 13, 2013

I have a multi-level class (K-8), and when I had K, 1, 2, and 8, I used the color coded behavior thing. I still have it, but it doesn't get used bc I only have a 1st and an 8th now.

I always asked them what their behavior was? what it was supposed to be? and what happens when we don't follow the rules? They knew the answer was move their name. I had them move it. Green (not moved) = no warnings, good day! -A big smiley face. Yellow (a kinda smiley) =1 warning. Orange (straight smiley)= call home. Red (frowns face) = can home, meeting and behavior contract. They never got to red, and I think I only made 2phone calls.
    I didn't pay for one; I just cut it out of construction paper, laminated it, and hung it up. Clothes pins with their names on them worked as the "clips".

17. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Mar 14, 2013

To get the kids focused when they sit on the rug, I sometimes use a short song:

Roll your hands so quickly, so quickly, so quickly,
    Roll your hands so quickly, and fold them just like me

Then I say, "___, I love how your hands are folded and you're sitting so quietly. Let's see who else can sit like ___." After a little more praising, they are ready to go!

For a group that is all about fun (or needs a little more to get on the same page), I've made the song a bit longer. I might also sing "clap your hands so loudly," "roll your hands so slowly," or "clap your hands so softly" as additional verses. They love it!

I used this is Pre-K and it carried over well into K!

18. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 14, 2013

With the 3 boys, is the dynamic still in place with the aide? It definitely sounds like there is/was a social dynamic in place between the 3 boys and aide, which probably would be best to address as a whole unit rather than individualized behavior plans.

Is the aide still doing what he was doing?

19. NeoTeacher

NeoTeacher Rookie

Mar 14, 2013

Yes he is. I haven't found time to talk with him yet. I also just found out one of the boys was kicked out of his old elementary school because of behavior. The other two were also big discipline problems in their old classrooms. That's why I'm going to do the behavior plans. The behavior issues are unique to each child.

20. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 14, 2013

I might actually try a group intervention first since it seems the behavior is at least partially influenced by the social dynamics of that group. I might also enlist the aide strategically in that plan so you get him on your side in a specific way.

If you want help brainstorming ideas for a plan, let us know. Would be helpful to know more about the dynamics - typical behavior, who starts what, why, etc.

21. SunnyTB

SunnyTB Rookie

Apr 8, 2013

Let me preface by saying I am NOT yet a teacher! :lol:

But I am a student and I heard about this technique and thought it might work for a chatty class.

It is similar to the compliment jar, where when the class gets a compliment or is overall well-behaved you put a certain number of marbles in the jar and when the jar is full the class gets a reward, like fun Friday or a party.

When the class is really noisy, you can give a verbal or physical warning, like a finger over your lip. For every additional second(or however long you choose) it takes them to stop talking after the warning you take a marble from the jar. When you take it out, you drop the lost marble into a pie tin or something similar that will make a loud "ping" noise. It should get their attention quickly when they realize they are losing their marbles!

22. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2013

You might want to phase the candy out at some point. I find that often times sugar causes children to act very differently than they normally would. I also have found that individual rewards can cause children to misbehave due to feeling left out.

23. NeoTeacher

NeoTeacher Rookie

Jun 1, 2013

Oh my gosh! I cannot believe I actually made it to the end of school. When I created this thread I was seriously about to quit. I wrote several letters of resignation but something always stopped me from handing them in. I was in Kindergarten hell but because of it I now have a toolbox full of tools to use regarding behavior next year. Thanks for the help everyone!