kindergarten meet n greet

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by minnie, Aug 11, 2011.

1. minnie

minnie Habitué

Aug 11, 2011

Next Friday, I am having my kindergarten meet n greet where my students and parents come the Friday before school to meet me and each other. I have out little activities they can do and I let them explore around the classroom (blocks, playdough, home center...simple things). I work at a small school so I have a small class. I will only have two boys and the rest will be girls. I know that when the students trickle in to see the classroom, all of the girls will want to play in the home center where I have a little kitchen, crib, table, refrigerator with play food. I can't have all of them in there at once. How should I go about explaining that only three can by in there at a time when school hasn't officially started yet?

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 11, 2011

When we have our meet and greet, I don't let them play with the "stuff" yet. I see it that I haven't taught them the rules of play yet so I have a closed sign on everything! I know, it seems like I am being tough but some parents let their kids get everything out and we start school the following day. So I do a scavenger hunt telling them to find their cubby, the bathroom, the art center, etc... then I have out their name tags and have them find their seat and do a little activity at their seat.

Then I read a book and time is DONE!

I know that didn't really answer your question but I hope that helps.

4. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

I leave alot of my toys in storage until after Open House for that reason. I put out only the really easy to clean up toys. Is that possible??

I then tell them there will be much more to play with when they come back on the first day of school.

5. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 11, 2011

I agree put out the quick clean things.

Coloring sheets, puzzles, legos, blocks etc.

This open house I had some Montessori Materials out and they were really getting into it. Good lessons though, because I politely asked my parents to hold one moment and gave some lessons that night on how to use the materials.

Best suggestion is to Shut It DOWN and Pack up. The parents will have plenty of time to see how colorful and stocked with work it can become.

6. minnie

minnie Habitué

Aug 13, 2011

Thanks! Good ideas! I like the scavenger hunt idea. I may just "shut down" the home center for the meet n greet becaue after they leave, I may just find the dress up clothes in the refrigerator and the play food in the baby crib. :)