Kindergarten Math

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teacherhoosier, Sep 9, 2010.

1. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Sep 9, 2010

Kindergarten teachers, what types of things do you use to teach math? My school district has a balanced literacy program, and I work closely with our literacy coordinator since I am just learning about the framework, but math is a wide open area. Does your district use a math program/book? My school district does have a math book, but all of the kindergarten teachers I've talked to don't use them. I have been working on 1-1 matching, shape recognition, and sorting and classifying with a lot of different activities-but I'm not sure where to go next. Any ideas or suggestions on working with these topics???

3. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Sep 9, 2010

We use the "Everyday Math" program. It has a spiraling curriculum. We use tons of manipulatives (teddy bear counters, unifex cubes, cards, money, calculators, balance scales, sand, dice, pattern blocks, etc.... I could go on and on). We do a 15 - 20 minute math board in the morning (calendar). We do alot of ongoing activiites during this time such as tally marks, graphing, temperature recording, days of school, patterning etc... We work on counting ALOT. Right now its by ones, but we will count by 10's, 5's and 2's by the end of the year.

Later in the day we have a regular math lesson. Because it is a spiraling curriculum we don't stay on one topic long, but we will come back to the concepts several times during the year. I also will add some of these topics to my morning math board for extra practice (such as money, daily addtion/subtraction problem etc...)
    I also have a math center the kids can visit for extra practice too.

My advice to you is to take a good look at your state standards. See what you need to cover and go from there. You also have to look at what your kids can/can't do. Ask your fellow teachers what they are working on. My first year I pretty much did what ever they did just to make sure I covered it all and then I branched out and changed things the following year.

Right now I am reviewing numbers 1-10. Most of my kids enter K already knowing at least that much, but I have a few that don't and they all need practice on printing numbers. We also work on patterns early in the year.

4. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Sep 10, 2010

You could order Math Their Way book on Amazon. It's the original for the current math programs out there now.

5. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Sep 11, 2010

One of the schools in our district (its a Title I school, but the school I teach at is not) uses Everyday Math-and the teachers like it. Since I'm just starting out (this is my second year of teaching, but my first year for K, so I'm basically starting over from scratch), it would be nice to have more of a structured curriculum. We do have curriculum maps, and I am following them closely...I am teaching what I am supposed to, but pacing is probably the issue for me since our curriculum maps are for each 9 weeks....

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 11, 2010

My morningboard (which I do on the smartboard--seems to keep their interest better) covers over 80% of our state objectives. Plus I have included some phonics and reading in it.

7. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Sep 11, 2010

Thanks for the tip! I looked it up and plan on ordering it when I get paid Wednesday..anything to supplement what I have is a welcome addition..

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 11, 2010

Try your local library first...plus ask around the building...there was a big push for this program about 10-15 years ago...older teachers in your building might have it. It hasn't been updated.

9. SophieLou

SophieLou Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

We use Math Expressions (a textbook adoption for our county). We also supplement for some skills that are not in the book. It's pretty rigorous and I miss the days of coming up with my own math ideas.. like sorting Lucky Charms cereal and graphing the pieces we each have. I still use some of my own ideas for centers but a lot of our time is now dedicated to this textbook.
    If your county purchased a textbook you may want to use it at least some of the time. They purchase it because they think it covers your curriculum, although I don't love our textbook adoption I use it because it lays the foundation and teaches the vocabulary used in 1st and 2nd grade. Even though I'd rather be doing something else that I think may be more "kid friendly", I know I am serving my students well in the long run. Good Luck!!

10. aen05

aen05 Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

My school uses Saxon Math, which is great. We teach a grade level above though (charter school) so I teach my kinders 1st grade material.