Kindergarten Literacy Small Groups

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SCTeacher23, Sep 11, 2015.

1. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Sep 11, 2015

For those that teach K, what do you do with your literacy small groups that you meet with during centers for the first few months of the year before you start doing Guided Reading?

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Sep 12, 2015

We just finished week 6 and I'm already doing guided reading groups. In the beginning before I started guided reading, I did 1x1 testing with my kids and some easy alphabet work.

4. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Sep 12, 2015

We just finished week 1. I did 1 on 1 testing for the first week. Can you be more specific on the type of alphabet activities you did? In my last school, we started GR in K after about 6 weeks as well. In the school I was at prior, we used the Fundations program during small group and didn't do GR until January. I am at a district this year that also does not want us to start GR until January. The curriculum outlines that we are supposed to be doing a letter of the week and a few sight words per week. I am trying to figure out specifics as far as what activities to do, since I am used to started GR much earlier or starting a specific program that I don't have at my new district?

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 12, 2015

I plan to start formal reading groups by the end of the month. Right now I tested letter ID, counting, number ID, sight words (I used the list we have for the first 9 weeks just to see who had some reading skills already), and will do DRA scores next week. I have some basic 1:1 practice that I will start after that that has animal pictures and the kids point and name them. With the lowest kids, it will be some serious practice with letters. I use rapid recognition cards, sand paper letters, writing in sand/salt, rows of typed letter - find the different letter, sorting letters by attributes, etc... I also repeat big book lessons on book handling, looking at the pictures, and reading simple pattern books. I have small copies of some of the big books, so those become the first guided reading books so they can be successful when they start reading some.

Miss Kinders likes this.
  6. Miss Kinders

Miss Kinders Rookie

Oct 11, 2015