Kindergarten language

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by MDMontessori, Feb 17, 2004.

1. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Feb 17, 2004

I have all the regular Montessori teaching things for language. We also use workbooks for phonics. I feel like I am slightly unorganized in this. Is there any place which tells you about how long you would stay on one area...like beginning sounds? I guess I am sort of looking for a guide of what I should be doing for the whole year. Is ther anyting on the net like this?

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Feb 18, 2004

4. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Feb 18, 2004

Thanks for those links. I meant not necessarily Montessori. If you were teaching a traditional type of class. For example, Beginning sounds for 2 months. Ending sounds for one month, etc. Blends ...etc.

I have all those workbooks with all this stuff but have no idea how long and how much should be covered in one year.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Feb 18, 2004

You have to do constant assessment to determine how long to stay on one skill. You will also need to have subgroups within your class because they aren't all going to get it at the same time.

You may only need to do a small amount of rhyming one year and the next it may take 2 months.

Good luck!

6. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Feb 19, 2004

I think I get it a little better now. I have 6 kindergarten kids in my class of 24. They all like to do the same papers. Sometimes I feel bad giving the really advanced 2 the same things but they do not seem to mind one little bit. I also give them a couple of additional things that are more challenging.