Kindergarten Journal Time

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissK2015, Sep 13, 2015.

1. MissK2015

MissK2015 Rookie

Sep 13, 2015

HI! How do you folks do journaling time in the beginning of the year? I am having students copy beginning of sentences off of the board. I then help them sound out the ending of the sentence-which they are not ready for yet, but I don't want them to rely on me to spell everything. They raise their hands when they are done. I didn't want them to all come to my desk and a long line would start. Either I am really slow or something, but so many hands are raising at the same time. Students are wasting valuable time just raising their hand and waiting. There is just me in this Kindergarten class. What do you folks do to not have students wait so long and what do you do with early finishers? These questions can also be applied to worksheets as well. When they are finished, they raise their hand and I come and help them/correct their work and students are waiting for a while.

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 13, 2015

At the beginning of the year, I tell them that even if they can't write, pictures can tell a story. Then they can add words to their story by sounding out. I model this extensively. We write and example story together on chart paper or on the board. Some kids are ready to write and some will be doing only pictures with a beginning letter sound. I then make my way around the room and have them tell me their story and write it on the bottom of the page. Some kids won't be ready to copy sentences yet.

I was thinking I posted more details a LONG time ago, and I did... you might be interested in these threads for more ideas (I quoted mine, but there are other helpful posts to check out.)

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?p=49059
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?p=40020

4. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 13, 2015

When I student taught, they would draw about the topic. As they learned letters and words - we would have them label things. When they learned basic sentences, they would write short sentences, with assistance at times.

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 13, 2015

This is what students did when I student taught too.

By spring, some kids were writing full stories, while others were writing things like:

bawwo
    (picture of a ball)
    And saying "I drew a ball and labeled it ball)

Those were the lowest kids, and were in RTI, but they were trying and on the way with at least the starting sounds in place.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2015

As others have said, drawing and labeling is a great place to start!

7. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Sep 13, 2015

Developmentally, children are not ready to copy from the board until around age 8. (Yardsticks, Chip Wood, pg 102.) But I have seen journaling done very well in a kindergarten classroom. Children were not given a topic, but asked to write and draw about whatever they wanted. Often it would be about going to a friend's house or their new toy or something like that. They would use "kid spelling" sounding out words the best they could, and later an adult volunteer would have them read their journal entry to them and would use "adult spelling" to write the words the correct way. Very effective!

8. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 14, 2015

For the lower ones, when the rest were writing sentences, we'd have them say the sentence they wanted to write, then write it in highlighter and have them trace.

9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Sep 16, 2015

That's exactly what I did with my Pre-K kids (4 & 5-year-olds).
    During writing time, I wrote one sentence on the board (it was related to the theme of the week) and they'd copy it into their journals. It helped with their handwriting, letter formation, writing left to right, spacing, etc. Towards the end of the year, I had them do creative writing; they'd write whatever they wanted in their journals by sounding out the words, etc. They did amazing! Since they also learned sight words, they knew how to spell those words. Here's an example of what one of my kids write
    "Frst, we did crcl time, then we did art, now we are riting"
    One of my more advanced kids actually wrote out a story about a circle and a square. It was amazing.

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 16, 2015

11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 16, 2015

That's a good idea too.

12. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 21, 2015

It's better practice to have them write on their developmental level (which may include pictures, letters or words) vs. tracing or copying something they can't read.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2015

This.

After the K student does their own writing, I've seen our teachers have the student read his/her writing and then write the sentence on the back of the page, or lightly at the bottom of page....helps 'save' the student's intentions and helps track progress over time as students start adding more letters to represent the sounds in the words they are writing.

14. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Sep 21, 2015

The only time I really have students trace is when we are first learning how to write a letter. We use strategies like "draw a picture", "draw a line", and "write the sounds you know" in our writing lessons as we continue learning letter shapes/sounds in reading. My students like how they can see their writing moving from "little kid" (pictures and lines) to "grown-up" (letters they know). By the end of the year last years class was writing entirely with letters using approximated spelling based on letter sounds.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2015

:thumb:

I could trace Chinese letters representing what I want to write. Doesn't mean I know a thing about letters/sounds but might be good fine motor practice :dizzy: