Kindergarten is getting to me!

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Crzy_ArtTeacher, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jan 26, 2010

I just had kindergarten and I need to vent. I am losing my mind with this class. I have so many tattlers, and naughty children. I don't have enough space in my classroom to separate all the 'naughty' children. I say naughty because these are the students that continuously antagonize my other students making for the tattling. It's a continuous circle.

Our kindergarten numbers are very high, this class I just had has 25 students. It's just overwhelming when it comes to management at times. For my own sanity, I think I'm pausing on paint for a little bit because the cleanup, and process always involves someone misusing the paint (No matter HOW many times I give the speech about using it the right way).

All right, I'm done with the vent. Now just to figure out a simple no fuss lesson for next week so I stay sane.:dizzy:

3. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jan 26, 2010

I don't take tattling. At the beginning I discussed the difference between tattling and reporting. When they come up to me with a tattle I ask "tattle? (make a t with your hands) or report?" (do a saluting motion). Now, I would not actually ask that for a report because a report situation usually you have to move in quickly. But I always ask when they tattle. Then they usually say report and I say "Why do you think so?" Usually as they try to explain then they realize that they are tattling. If they still think report then I try to find out why- maybe they were really offended or something, or else I explain why it is a tattle.

4. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jan 26, 2010

I just did cut paper space rockets with my K's. For the same reason! ugh! the shouting out, not following directions..drives me bananas! My K classes this year are really defiant and they know they rule the world, especially at the one building I teach at. Last week our inschool like behavior person was with this one K kid all morning b/c he was getting in so much trouble, and by trouble..kicking, yelling, tipping his desk (yeah he now has an oldschool all attached lift up desk) throwing his chair, locking himself in the bathroom stall. Last week he was Mr. Smith and had a pipecleaner mustache smooshed on his face. Don't dare do anything or he will explode! Acts like a toddler!

Anyway!

I just kept it simple, made them trace a rectangle, two triangles and a circle for the window. They need the practice tracing, cutting and gluing. The following week we used c.paper crayons to make some colorful stars/plants etc and mounted the rocket on the black paper.

5. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jan 26, 2010

Wonderful Samothrace! This is exactly what I needed for next week! Thanks!

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 27, 2010

:lol: I laugh in your general direction.

I also sympathize but I love little kids that age and they always seem to just follow along for me. Tomorrow, though, because I'm bragging now, I'll get my comeuppance.

7. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jan 28, 2010

Well well Securis how were those little guys today :)

8. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 28, 2010

My little ones were talkative, a bit combative with each other in one instance, and somewhat louder than normal. All I have to say, "I guess no one wants to paint." If I say this, I get a burst of "do-what-I-said" then quiet. I only had to say it once today. Then I had third graders that was a mostly female class and I rarely have any kind of trouble from that mixture.

All done with a healing back spasm, I might add. It's hard to smile when you're in pain and not sure if your next step will be the one that puts you back in the bed for another four days or longer.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 28, 2010

I look up and squint/close my eyes and say, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6...I'm hoping I like what I see when I open my eyes...5, 4,...(they're quiet and not moving a hair at that point.

Also, use the low, soothing, voice with the word "friends" a lot. It seems to work wonders. Okay, friends, today we are going to learn about .... Before we start. It is important that we know the rules. Becky, can you tell your friends what the two rules for .... are. Thank you. You are a good friend, Becky.

10. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Feb 3, 2010

I'm going to sit with them next Tuesday and have a talk to them about how we can have a better class. I find I raise my voice more with them than any other class and I HATE it.

Unfortunately they left my class this week and I was standing there bewildered, thinking the same thoughts as last week. I have to change something in my instruction and management because I don't like the environment it's turning into. I'm not a screamer, by any means, but I find myself having to raise my voice to get their attention which I shouldn't have to do.

I think I need to go back to the basics and go over every step of the artroom class procedures again. As simple as what I expect of them when I say 'Eyes and Ears'. I also think I have to explain to students that we need to be kinder to our friends and tattling on others doesn't make us a good friend, because that is one of our biggest problems too is the students just getting along in a positive way with one another.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 3, 2010

Children often tattle at his age because they are learning the rules and they expect everyone to follow it. They are trying to make sense of it all. I keep telling them that it is my job to notice these things not thiers. I will ask who is the teacher. Ahhh. I knew was my job. Classes and students are different though. My class this year is pretty good about not doing this but I also nipped it in the bud earlier this year with consistently telling them that some things were small and not to worry about it because I'm not worried. I tell kids that kindergarten is for learnig how to be in school and how to dothings so they will have a lot of sucess on future grades. I tell them that they will be expected to know how in first grade up but kindergarten is all about practicing and learning. If we make a mistake or don't do it right, that's okay. I tell them it is my job to teach them, thier job to practice and we are all expected to be respectful and good friends to each other. Then when I notice a behavior I want to work on, I target it for about 2 weeks, bringing it to thier attention. I tell them that this is something I want them to practice. I tell them specifically what I'm looking for. Then ibpraise constantly fo a bit. I share what I'm seeing. I share what may not be working. All the while I am reminding them that we are practicing these behaviors.

I'm lucky that my students aren't tattlers. How much of it is me and how much of it is them, I couldn't tell you. I do know that I had to watch another class along with mine one day and just from one walk down the hall first thing in the morning, I had several tattlers. I arrived in my room and told them that int classroom, my students know I don't like hearing this kind of thing. I explained my job and that I would rather hear them being good friends because it really upsets me when they aren't. I had a 180 turn from a class that normally does this. For me, on that day, they didn't. I also modeled the practicing and it's not a big deal..I can take care of things mode.

I do agree that going back over basics is a good place to start.

12. Ace1

Ace1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2010

Even though I am sure things can get very frustrating, one thing to be grateful for ... you are not teaching Middle School. Middle school has all of the bad behaviors of kinder, but with an attitude.

I had to take away the ceramics privileges from one of my periods a couple days ago because they couldn't stop throwing clay and hitting each other with the tools.