Kindergarten Interview Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SportsFanTr, Jul 14, 2008.

1. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Jul 14, 2008

I know you all don't know me very well, but I'm so excited and have to tell someone (hubby is not home), I have an interview for a public school Kindergarten position tomorrow!!! :2up:

I have taught KG at a private school for two years, but I'm still incredibly nervous! At the current school, I was sort of given the position so I haven't had an interview in a long time. I have two questions:

1) I have two outfits I'm considering. The first is a Navy Blue suit with a skirt / jacket with a white or light blue/white striped shirt - very formal. The other is a white pantsuit / jacket with either a pink or orange striped shirt, this one is more "summery" to me. I am leaning towards the white pantsuit, but I'd love your opinions.

2) Has anyone interviewed for a Kindergarten position lately? Can you tell me some of the questions you were asked?

Yay! I'm so excited, but nervous too! I am going to take a copy of my resume, a Kindergarten welcome packet I gave to parents last year (it has a welcome letter, rules,rewards, & consequences, and some procedures), and a writing and math sample from one of my average students. Anything else you think I should take?

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

I haven't interviewed for a kindergarten, but I wanted to say good luck! I think that I would go with the navy suit, unless you know that the environment is more casual; it's always better to be overdressed than under-dressed and you can take off the jacket if you feel too formal. I think that what you are taking sounds great the only thing I can think to add would be either reference letters or sheet with your references listed.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 14, 2008

Go with the dark suit. I wouldn't wear anything white to an interview for Kindergarten. Then again, I would never wear anything white to teach kindergarten, either.

Good luck on your interview!

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 14, 2008

Not to confuse you or anything- but I was always told the interviewer should be able to picture you doing the job. In Kinder you are sitting on the floor, end up with glue or paint on you - I'd go with the pantsuit.

What you are bringing sounds perfect. Of course they will ask about management, maybe give a specific example and ask you how you would handle it. I was asked about how I taught writing. What they would see if they walked into your classroon, ideas about how to involve parents, ways you will contribute to the campus, strengths/weaknesses, about balanced literacy, how will you differentiate-that's big in Kinder now.

Good luck and keep us posted!

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2008

I would go with the white suit - still professional since it's a suit but I think it shows some creativity. Just be sure what you wear looks professional (not too low cut or looks like it belongs on a student), and feels comfortable so you can actually think and answer the questions. If you feel confident, you'll be confident. Good luck!

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 14, 2008

I would go for the white too. It sounds cute and adds more personality than a dark suit. Most kindergarten questions focus on literacy. I would brush up on all the balanced literacy terms and think about how you teach/taught reading and writing at the beginning of the year. Look for areas that you can throw in the fancy terms!

8. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jul 14, 2008

I dressed summary casual on my recent interview and got the job. I say wear the white jump suit. Good Luck to you:)

9. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Jul 14, 2008

Lol, white is a tricky color isn't it! I only wore it maybe 2-3 times last year in Kindergarten, but it does look pretty! I got it on clearance about 2 years ago at a petite store.

It does look professional, and honestly when I wear the navy I feel like a little kid playing dress up - I am only 4'10" and I have a very young face. Now that I think about it I do feel more confident in the white, so I think I'll most likely go with it!

Thank you for all the well wishes! I will definitely keep you all posted in the upcoming days, woohoo!

10. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2008

Just wanted to say good luck! Think positive!

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

Wear whichever outfit makes you feel most comfortable.

Good luck!

12. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Jul 15, 2008

Well, I hope I don't jinx myself, but.....the interview went really, really well! It felt like I was talking more to a fellow teacher about my classroom rather than the back & forth exchange of question/answers. She told me I am "a very strong candidate" and that I would fit in well with the school! Wow!

I should hear something Thursday or Friday if I'm picked as the one, is it Friday yet?

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2008

I'm glad to hear that your interview went well! I hope that you hear some good news soon!

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

I'm glad to hear it went well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

15. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

I just prayed for you. The things you are taking sound great! I vote for the white outfit, too. I taught K for six years and loved it! Let us know how things go.

16. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 15, 2008

That's awesome news! I know waiting for a phone to ring is the worst feeling! When I was job hunting I used to make people call and let it ring once, then hang up and call back so it wouldn't get my hopes up it was a school. I'm sure it will be good news!