Kindergarten information and resources please!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teaching Grace, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2011

Hey all! I'm interested in what type of kindergarten reaources you could point me to. I have taught 3rd for several years and will hopefully be in Kindergarten next year. But I'm noticing that there aren't a lot of books of teaching K. What kinds of resources should I get together? What would the first day of school look like? What can I get prepared before then? Any favorite websites or books? What is the highest DRA level that I should have in my library? I know that my new team will be invaluable to me but I also know that I want to have lots of info under my belt about routines, room set up, centers and what not. I know that this will be very different from 3rd!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2011

Do you have experience with the Daily 5? The sisters have a version for K that you might want to check out. This would help with center and room set up.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2011

I would also look at a label maker so that you can label everything in your classroom.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 2, 2011

Congratulations! (not sure if you see it that way or not ;) ).

You will have so much fun, really. The first day we are reviewing a lot of procedures-believe it or not you are going to have to explain everything step by step from how to wash their hands to how to put the lid on the glue stick.

There are lots of great first day/activity books like Chrysanthemum, A Place Called Kinder, - any 1st day of school book, really. You can play Who Stole the Cookie with their names, etc. And actually your 1st week, maybe 2 will look like that. Lots of repetition.

As to books, you know I can't think of anything specific to K. I will recommend Debbie Diller for workstations (since Mopar went Daily 5 :p). She has both reading and math. She also has one called Spaces and Places where she gives tips on setting up the classroom. The one thing I'll tell you about that is you have to be able to see ALL the kids at all times-not always an easy set-up with shelves, etc.

There are tons of great blogs out there-find one and then click on the ones on their blog roll. I'm thinking too the Little Giraffes site was always my favorite.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 2, 2011

The first day of school is survival mode. Everything takes a very long time. Explaining lunch choices, showing them how to do it, and having them all do it takes about 20 minutes alone. Talking about how to walk in the hallways and practicing takes about 15 minutes. Talking about bathroom expectations, how to turn the water on, how to use the soap, and how to get the paper towel out (and having them all try everything) takes about 15-20 minutes. Taking a tour of the school takes about 20 minutes. And that right there is your morning. :)

All I do on the first day of school is routines, routines, routines (not to mention a long free play time, and at least a 30 minute nap time-they can't handle very much in the beginning!). I honestly don't do any crafts or lessons on the first day...It's pretty much all learning rules and routines, playing games to learn names, recess, and play time. I probably read 1 story, too.