Kindergarten Expectations

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by hp123, Jun 25, 2007.

1. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

My daughter will be starting kindergarten a year from thisf all. She is coming froma Montessori environment, and I want to do what I can to hlep her prepare for the transition.

What should a incoming kindergatener know?

Thanks!!!

3. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Jun 25, 2007

In the school district in my township, Kindergarteners need to know...

*how to write and recognize their first and last names
    *basic shapes (circle, square, triangle, oval, rectangle, star, etc)
    *colors
    *their address and telephone number
    *how to count to 10
    *recognize numbers 1-10
    *recognize and write all letter of alphabet
    *know 5-10 sight words

I never would have made it into Kindergarten if we needed to know all that before I started school... in 1981.

4. MissB

MissB Companion

Jun 25, 2007

Hello,
    I first want to say that it's important not to push her to do things she's not ready to do. Kids come to kindergarten at so many different levels. When the time comes, if she isn't where you hoped she would be , I wouldn't worry about it (just talk to her preschool teacher to be sure she thinks she is on target). Kids do things when they are ready. And if she's at a Montessori school, I would guess she is going to be ready for kindergarten when the time comes.

What you can do at home to help her would be to read to her every night. This is the MOST IMPORTANT gift a parent can give their child. Make sure it's an enjoyable experience, so she will begin her love of reading early. You can let her hold the book and turn the pages, so she learns that we read from left to right. She should know the difference between a letter and a word. You can have her count words on certain pages and have her find words (or letters) she already knows (if she knows any). Read all sorts of books, including alphabet and counting books. You can point to the words as you read aloud. She will also be gaining an oral vocabulary while she listens to you read. And remember to talk with her about the book. What did she like about it? Why? Would she do the same thing the character did? Would she do something different?

It's ok to read a book she loves a hundred times if she wants. As she memorizes the story have her retell it to you (have her look at the pictures and tell you the story herself).

Keep learning fun! Make what you do together day to day an enjoyable learning experience. For example, when you are at the park, have her count the ducks, when in the car make up silly rhyming songs together, or make up songs that have alliteration (big billy bopped up to the big brown bungalow). Change songs she knows to incorporate alliteration (bary had a bittle bam...). When you are doing her hair- have her count out the elastics you'll need. When at the grocery store, have her get the 5 cans of corn you need...

She should be able to write her first name.

If she can count to at least 20 and recognize numbers up to 10, she will have an easier time.

Once again:
    1. Read read read with her!!!

2. Have fun together!

:) Jamie

5. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

Also- don't forget social skills:

-plays and works well with others
    -cleans up after self
    -accepts correction
    -knows birthdate and age
    -bathroom skills
    -dresses self
    -listening skills
    -follows directions
    -knows left vs right
    -some kids can tie shoes before, some later in the year

6. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

Kids who have been read to frequently (obsessively) do SO much better in Kinder! So keep reading!!!

Your daughter's Montessori background will help significantly, because the students are given the opportunity to select activities themselves, producing self-motivated learners. Also, the early-learning Montessori manipulatives and strategies are SO valid, even 100 years(?) after Maria Montessori came up with them.

I went to a Montessori-program parochial school in Kinder through third grade, and it was a great basis to build the rest of my schooling on.

And finally, the fact that you're involved, active and concerned enough to ASK what she needs to know indicates that she will be successful. If you ask me what's #1 on my list of what a student needs to take into kindergarten, I would say, INVOLVED PARENTS!

Good luck! :)

7. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Jun 26, 2007

Wow,

That seems like alot.

8. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

It may seem like a lot, but these are probably things that your child can already do. If it would ease your worries, maybe you could check with the kindergarten teachers at the school where your daughter will attend. Good Luck!

9. uprekmom

uprekmom Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

Yes, it does seem alot when its written out like that. I agree as well, that your child probably already knows that. Its just an everyday learning process. When DS walk up steps, we count them together. I"ll ask him what color the trees are, what shape are the car wheels. etc. You'll be suprised how quick they pick up.

Just don't overdo it and stress them out. Make it fun!

10. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jul 2, 2007

I would Google "Kindergarten State Standards (your state here)" and see what your states standards are for the END of the year. It will give you an idea on where your year will take you.

Kelly :)