Kindergarten Discipline Plan

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kcbutterfly, May 2, 2006.

1. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

May 2, 2006

I will be a new kindergarten teacher next year, and I would like to hear about various discipline plans. What is your discipline plan? What have you tried that has worked and what hasn't? Thanks!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 2, 2006

I have seen a stop light system that worked well. All the students start with their bears on green. If they misbehave during the day they have to move their bear to yellow and than red. Once a week the teacher sends home a stop light paper with the students behavior stamped on it.
    Also, if the students stay on green all week they get to go to Fun Friday. Two teachers work as a team to do this, one teacher has the students that had to move their bears, the other gets all the green students for a fun project.

I hope that makes sense.

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 2, 2006

I do something similar with Jaime said. I use cards though. Each child starts off on green. First warning is yellow, then orange and then red. They always have a chance to go back to green if they show me good behavior and show me that they are trying!

If they are on green by the end of the day they receive a star. After 5 stars they earn a treat from the treat jar: pencil, eraser, piece of candy etc...
    Now the kids have to earn 10 stars in order to earn a treat.

Each day the kids color in a bear with the color they are on. If they are on green they color the bear green.

It works well for my class.

5. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

May 5, 2006

I like these methods as well. I like when teachers use positive things to reinforce behavior. I still see the yelling teachers but I will not do it.

I saw a kindergarten where they used bears too - but if you are really really good they get a purple bear. I'd rather use a glitter bear but whatever. Really good would be helping others, raising your hand, or if you think on your own - like if a trash can is knocked they just pick it up - and not go and tell the teacher it is knocked over). I love this.

The classes I have subbed in that have been the best were the ones that treated each other like a family. I can give you links to a site if you want.

Also, when I have my classroom next year I want to set up a good neighbor system. So, someone could get a point for helping someone (like there was a boy in my K class that couldn't quite get his pants to cooperate in time and had an accident. I asked a boy to come and bring him to the office - I told the boy to wrap his jacket around his waist so he wouldn't be embarrassed walking out - the other little boy came up and put his arm around his shoulder and said, it's ok - and walked him out the door. How sweet is that!)

I have also been working on an idea to cut down on tattling. So, I came up with my "Tell Bear All About It" corner. I will have to really focus on this in the beginning of the year but when they just have to get something off their chests they can go tell the bear.

I also plan to have "Substitute Days" - this is where I will make sure everyone in the class will have a designated job when the sub is there and one day I will act as a sub - and see how it works. I might even wear a wig - and part of the test will be to see if they make a big deal out of it.

I also like to point out the good things students are doing - like, look how nice Jon is sitting or look how Jane is walking so nicely in line.

Sorry, I tend to go on!

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 5, 2006

7. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

May 5, 2006

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 6, 2006

I haven't seen the bear idea before that is cute. In one class that I used to work in they had a tattle book. The students instead of telling on another student would go right it in the tattle book. At the end of the day the teacher would read the book.

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 6, 2006

I have a tattle bear as well.

10. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

May 6, 2006

I love the tattle bear. Why not add a tape recorder and you can listen later and know what is going on and keep a upper hand on the problem.

11. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 6, 2006

I did something similar. I had a drawing of a man with 2 very large ears. THe kids could go tattle to 'Mr. Tattle'.

12. sbtellmann

sbtellmann Companion

May 6, 2006

I tried the card system last year and it worked well but this year's kids didn tcare about it at all. This year I started something that I really like. I give 10 tokens out everyday to every child and they can gain or lose them depending on how they behave. Everytime they gain/lose I write it on their sheets so their parents know why they gained/lost. At the end of the week they use their tokens to "shop" in my classroom store. I have things like stickers, candy, toys, and passes for lunch with teacher and line leader. They really like this. I am definately going to use this again next year!