Kindergarten demo lesson HELP!!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by luludc, May 11, 2013.

1. luludc

luludc Rookie

May 11, 2013

I need some advice! I am teaching a demo lesson in a K class next Friday, and I am stumped. The objective I am supposed to teach is comparing the number of vertices, faces, and edges of 3D solid figures. I just am stumped on how to plan an engaging lesson for K kids for this.

Here are some ideas I had (the class is mostly ELL students):

introduce vocabulary with pictures - attribute, faces (explain how this is different than a face on a person), edges, vertex/vertices; Review solid figure names and have a poster as a frame of reference.

Model pulling a solid figure out of the "mystery bag", identify it, and use sentence frames to describe it. "A _______ has ____ vertices." Have a few students take a turn.

MAYBE (just brainstorming still), give each child a shape. Have them count the number of vertices, then turn and talk with a partner and compare the numbers. I would again give them sentence frames to practice using: "A _______ has more vertices than a ______. Have a few partners share with the class.

Maybe repeat for another attribute?

For the independent practice portion, maybe I will make a little half-sheet paper for the students to fill out, describing their shape somehow. Haven't figured out the details yet.

For a closing activity, my idea was to have a shape in a paper bag. The students would close their eyes and feel the shape, then try to guess which shape it is, based on the attributes?

Any and all constructive criticism is appreciated!! I actually taught K for 3 years but this objective has me nervous, or maybe I'm over thinking it. Please be brutally honest if there is anything I should change. Thanks sooo much!

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 11, 2013

I may be completely out of the loop, but is this really for kindergarten students?? Seems way above their abilities, in my opinion.

4. luludc

luludc Rookie

May 11, 2013

That's not exactly helpful...I have to teach the objective I was given. I am trying to plan a lesson that will be appropriate for K students, which is why I am asking for advice.

Constructive criticism is appreciated, but just telling me the lesson is too hard without any other ideas offered is not helpful.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 11, 2013

First of all I wasn't tyring to criticize you!! I was just surprised that that was the objective given. So nevermind!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 11, 2013

I'm also surprised this is a K objective.:2cents:

Make it as DAP as you can....bring some 'real life' examples of 3D shapes: cube shape tissue boxes, rectangular cereal or cracker boxes, Tobelerone boxes are triangle prisms, etc....

7. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

May 11, 2013

Do you have a block center? Use the different types of blocks from the center to build things.

If you are giving each child a shape from your mystery bag, you could make a graph or sort them.

I like the idea of czacza of bringing in real life 3D objects too.

This is a pretty tough topic for a demo lesson, but I think you can make it work. The ideas that you described sound good. If you don't know the kids real well, however, I would shy away from having them write about their shape. That maybe a little hard for some kids to do.

8. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

May 11, 2013

We did many of those activities when wee talked about the faces, edges and vertices of 3D shapes (yes, it's a K objective for 4th quarter). I made an anchor chart that showed what the faces, edges and vertices are. I referenced back to 2D shapes and where the edges and vertices were on those shapes to help them decide where they might be on the 3D shapes. We used a lot of manipulatives (geo shapes from Lakeshore as well as a lot of play time with wooden blocks) so they could touch the shapes to get a better understanding.

My students loved the mystery bag game, but we played that after having more experience with the shapes. I'd pick two shapes to focus on and just compare those two. Maybe make an anchor chart to show faces, vertices and edges for both shapes to compare them. We also did a lot of 3D shape hunts and had the students think about where in the environment they can find them.

9. luludc

luludc Rookie

May 12, 2013

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

I was wondering about that too. Also my lesson is only supposed to be 45 minutes long and right now I think I'm pushing it! I made up a little paper for them - it's a booklet that looks like a "Mystery Bag", on the front it says "My solid has ___ vertices, ___ edges, and ___ faces" and then on the 2nd page they write the name of the solid figure (they will have a solid figure block to use while they do this). I'm afraid this will take up too much time, and also not sure if it is appropriate for all the kiddos.

However, the lesson template they gave me has a portion for Independent Practice, so I feel like I have to have some independent writing part. Unless you guys think having them count their shape's attributes on the carpet and talking with their partner counts as Independent Practice?

Aahhh, once again I may be overthinking this! Thanks again for all the feedback!

10. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

May 12, 2013

Lol. My son is in Kindergarten and they just started learning this objective last week, so yes it is definitely Kindergarten level now. When he brought it home, I was like "seriously? Vertices in Kindergarten?" I don't think I learned about vertices until high school math personally...

11. NeoTeacher

NeoTeacher Rookie

May 12, 2013

It's definitely a Kindergarten objective. I taught a unit on it a few weeks ago. I was surprised when I first saw it but the kids actually got it and majority of my class made A's on the unit assessment. I actually introduced the lesson by tossing a ball around the class and having each of them describe it. Of course someone described it as a circle and that led to the introduction of 3D verses 2D shapes. During the unit we made cubes, went on a 3D shape hunt on the playground, made a mini book, and played games online educational games. Starfall has a shape matching game that has 2D and 3D shapes on it. The kids enjoyed it a lot. We also watched a Brain Pop Jr. video about shapes and took the quiz that went along with it.

12. luludc

luludc Rookie

May 19, 2013

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions everyone - I got the job!!!!!! This is my dream school, I couldn't be more excited!