Kindergarten classroom pics

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jlj, Jul 8, 2009.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 8, 2009

Would you please share more of your Kinder classroom pics? On the elementary forum they're posting classroom pics but doesn't seem to be many Kindergarten rooms. :thanks::)
    Also, do you have a housekeeping center in your Kinder class? From what I've been seeing/hearing so many are removing this center and having more "academic" centers, ie, writing, pocket chart activities, etc. What do you do? :thanks:

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 8, 2009

I have a housekeeping center, but the activities there are much more structured. It's a restaurant and they have menus and bills to read and write. Post office - sorting letters by sounds. Store to add up what they are buying. Granted the kids often go into their own little play of house-but that's important too for verbal skills and imagination.

4. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 8, 2009

KC - Glad to hear you still have housekeeping! I like to change it out to go with our themes/seasonal, etc. I have also had the restaurant with menus and "order tablet" and the post office with paper, envelopes,....you know, adding the props, but not really giving specific activities they are to do. I do like your ideas for the more specific activities. I agree, they do end up using it their way, and that's okay too. :D

5. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Jul 8, 2009

I have a housekeeping center. I have the kitchen set, and then the other 'play' toys. Blocks, legos, some trucks. I don't have enough stuff to change it out with restraunt, and post office, etc. I was planning to do a sand/water/rice table though. Does anyone else do this?

6. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 9, 2009

7. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 9, 2009

I have a housekeeping. And I have it as unstructured play time. Our Principal feels it's important part of learning at this age.

9. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 19, 2009

great kindergarten pictures! thanks!

10. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 21, 2009

Thanks for the great pics! Please keep them coming!

11. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 22, 2009

I have housekeeping too - and it is the old regular play kitchen, with dolls and food and all that.

I also have a regular old block corner with blocks and matchbox cars.

I think that play is still really important in Kindergarten too

12. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

I set up a community play center. I bought one of those rugs printed with streets, buildings, trees, signs, etc. I found it at Ollie's for $15. Ollie's is sort of like Big Lots. I also found community buildings (sort of like Fisher Price, but can't remember what brand) such as a post office, police station, bakery, stable. Each one was about $10. They came with people, animals, and vehicles. I also bought extra sets of those. This was the favorite center of all of my students. It was really fun to observe them acting out the roles of different community helpers. I bought it last summer. It was my first year teaching kindergarten and I just couldn't resist it. I actually saw it on one visit, thought about it for a couple of weeks, and then went back and got one of everything. I keep it all in a big plastic container. The kids roll up the rug when they're done. It held up very well.

13. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Jul 22, 2009

Here are some pictures from my room at the beginning of last year:

[​IMG]
    View from the doorway. The covered thing on the chalkboard is my ACTIVboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The loft and library below.

[​IMG]
    My desk, the loft, and our "Bee-utiful Work" bulletin board. Each child had a square on the bulletin board where I would post their work.

[​IMG]
    Buzz Words (Word Wall).

[​IMG]
    I made a Chicka Chicka Boom Boom tree :)

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2009

Very cutue room.

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 22, 2009

My classroom pics (from 2 years ago)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

mdith4him....I love your room.

Questions....where in the world did you get that loft? was it built for you? and how did you make that tree?

17. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Jul 22, 2009

The loft was built ages ago (and I mean ages....I'm pretty sure it's the same one that was in there when I was in kindergarten...), but it's very sturdy.

The chicka chicka tree wasn't too hard to make. I found the directions online, but I can't remember where. I went to Lowes and asked if they had any carpet rolls. You can usually get them free (it's just the giant rolls that their carpets come on). I cut it down to the size I wanted (about 6 feet tall). I took an old umbrella and cut off the fabric parts, leaving the metal skeleton. Next, I made the palm leaves just by drawing large almond shaped leaves on green butcher paper, then cutting them out and laminating them. I hot glued the leaves to the umbrella skeleton (one leaf for each of the spindly arms). The umbrella handle goes down inside the carpet roll and the leaves are left sticking out of the top. I found some green vines to wrap around it and bought sticky foam letters to stick to the trunk. My dad helped with the base. He cut a plank of plywood (about a foot and a half, length and width) and then screwed a thick square rod in the middle of the plank. The carpet roll/trunk slid over the rod and stood the whole thing upright!

The hardest part was the hot gluing bit. You need a LOT of it to make the leaves stick to the umbrella arms! The kids loved it though. We left it up for awhile!

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 22, 2009

OH MY! I just realized how much crap I don't have. Hahaha. I'm teaching for the first year as a K teacher and I don't even have a glue gun much less anything else. My husband will kill me if I spend much but wowsers. The K room needs a lot. I'm so excited but this is one area I'm not sure about.

19. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Jul 23, 2009

I bought a lot of stuff last year (it was my first year). Luckily, though, I inherited the classroom from the teacher who had been the K teacher for 15 years and she had the closet literally PACKED TO THE CEILING with all types of fun stuff.

Glue gun will be a good investment ;)

20. wcvetwife

wcvetwife Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

I would go for the industrial glue gun that you use the extra long sticks instead of the mini glue gun.

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 24, 2009

Here are pictures of my classroom at the end of last year:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2134513&id=71208492&l=7b03779bbd

It will look pretty similar this year, but I put out more dramatic play toys in the beginning. I don't have a housekeeping center, because they played with it a lot in the beginning, but that only lasted a few months. No matter what I bought or rotated in, the housekeeping center was always empty, so I decided it wasn't worth the space.

This year I will put out some materials to play house (babies, clothes, purses, phones, etc.), restaurant, and store, but they will be on a shelf instead of in a designated area with a stove, refrigerator, etc. I'll probably take these things out in December when we start guided reading, because this is usually the time when they are less into housekeeping, and more into writing and reading. Plus, I will need more space for their individual book bins.

22. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

These are pictures of my classroom from the beginning of last year. Keep in mind that this is a Montessori classroom for 3-6 yr olds.

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/tracykaliski/classroom pictures/

We don't have housekeeping per se, but instead we expect the kids to clean up their own messes, and so we have the appropriate tools available for them to use: mop, broom, dustpan, duster, sponge bucket and sponges (one for floor, one for table), towels for drying, and I have a table washing setup that the children use every day to clean up.

23. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 30, 2009

What wonderful rooms you all have. I can't wait to get into my new room and see what I can do with it. I am moving from Pre-K and I haven't had a chance to really see what my new room looks like.