Kindergarten Centers

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by briarrose1384, Jul 7, 2011.

1. briarrose1384

briarrose1384 New Member

Jul 7, 2011

Hello!!

I have been teaching 3rd grade for the past 5 years. This school year will be my first time teaching kindergarten. I'm excited but nervous at the same time. I am familiar with literacy centers but was wondering if anyone does something called social centers? Looking for ideas for this.

Also looking for ideas on things I will need for the classroom besides basic school supplies.

Thanks!!

3. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jul 7, 2011

sand table, water table, painting, lego, wooden blocks, listening centre, house, playdough, arts and crafts, drama (puppet theatre), puzzles and games... I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 8, 2011

Building
    Creation
    Exploration

5. briarrose1384

briarrose1384 New Member

Jul 8, 2011

These are great! What items do you keep in house? That way I can stock up on some supplies this summer! :)

6. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011

Hopefully they have a kitchen set for you. I always start and end my year with housekeeeping. However, during the year I'll change it to a flower shop, bakery, vet clinic, grocery store, etc. So I would recommend a cash register and a toy shopping cart. Most of the other items I use are easy to locate or repurpose for my room. For the grocery store, I ask parents to donate grocery bags and empty food containers and always get a ton of stuff. Have fun! The kids LOVE new things to do.

7. Petey

Petey Rookie

Jul 8, 2011

Hi, Former Third-Grade Teacher!

I wish I could provide some useful suggestions for your new kindergarten teaching assignment, but, unfortunately, I am not familiar with that grade level. Actually, I was hoping for a few helpful suggestions from you. The reason is that my principal has assigned me to teach 3rd-grade this year.

I know this is going to be a challenge, because I have only taught fifth-grade Reading/Language Arts and Social Studies. So, I am a little apprehensive. :unsure:

Any help or words of wisdom you can provide will be genuinely and greatly appreciated!! :help:

I hope that there are kindergarten teachers who will be able to help you in turn.

Many THANKS!!!

8. map

map Companion

Jul 14, 2011

Go to kidscount1234.com for a lot of great resources and ideas. I love this site!!! She has links with other great Kindergarten websites too.