Kindergarten Centers: how long?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kinderblocks, Aug 12, 2005.

1. kinderblocks

kinderblocks Rookie

Aug 12, 2005

hi, I am a first year teacher and I am teaching kindergarten. I did not know how long the students would be able to stay at one center. I have noticed that other teachers schedule centers for one hour. Can the students stay at one center that long? Or should I rotate the students everyday to more than one center? What is the best way to manage centers?

3. teacher_99

teacher_99 Rookie

Aug 12, 2005

Hi there,
    This will be my 3rd year teaching kindergarten. I schedule everything for no more than a 1/2 hour. Their attention spans are still a little short, particularly at the beginning of the year. By the end of the year it can be increased, but I wouldn't go longer than 30 minutes. The old rule that 5 minutes x their age is a good estimate.

4. k bear

k bear Rookie

Aug 12, 2005

I use work jobs rather than centers and the students work on their "job" until they are finished. They have three jobs to do in the hour while I meet with small guided reading groups

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2005

Yep- about 1/2 hour with a good 15 minutes included for clean up. I spend quite a bit of training the first few months of school. Behaviors that are acceptable/unacceptable. Noise levels, etc.

6. Teacheskidz

Teacheskidz Rookie

Aug 13, 2005

I do 20 minutes per center.

7. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Aug 13, 2005

What kind of centes/work jobs do you have?

8. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 13, 2005

I try to have an hour center time but they rotate during that time to 3 different centers. This year, due to circumstanced beyond my control, I think I will have about a 40 minute center time with 2 rotations.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2005

My centers generally last for 40 minutes. I will have two rotations during that time. Each group will have visited all the centers by Thursday. I usually have no more then 3-4 to a group. On Fridays, anyone who didn't finish a required activity, or who may have been absent, will work in a center they missed. The others may have free choice. If no one needs to make up any work, then Friday is usually a free choice time for everyone...I call Fridays fun Friday and we do a lot of special or different activities that day. Some weeks, I may have more specific centers and it takes us all week, even Fridays, to rotate through them all. It just depends on what we are learning that week.

10. Teacheskidz

Teacheskidz Rookie

Aug 13, 2005

For the first 2 weeks of school, the centers I'm having are blocks, puzzles, big books, listening center etc I don't do anything academic yet until they get the kids used to the rotation and how to stay with their group and behave. Then I'll be one of the centers along with my assistant. I'll do small group handwriting, phonics, reading and whatever skill I'm working on.

11. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Aug 13, 2005

Where can I get lots of ideas for centers/work jobs? Any good books or websites anyone knows of ? :)

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2005

13. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Aug 13, 2005

I only have 30 minutes a day for centers. They rotate every 10 minutes. I have 8 - 10 centers, and I change the centers every Monday.

Brenda

14. Teacheskidz

Teacheskidz Rookie

Aug 14, 2005

There is a book called What are the other kids doing while you teach small groups? I've used it before and it worked well. Also, I've found the workboard icons to put up on the Internet. Just do a search, I can't remember the website. Good luck!