Kindergarten Books

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by MNgirl, May 24, 2005.

1. MNgirl

MNgirl Rookie

May 24, 2005

I need some advice…I was recently hired to teach Kindergarten for next year and I realized I don't know what books are must haves for kindergarten. I figure I have all summer to hit the go garage sales and hopefully I will pick up some really good books. What are absolute must have picture books for teaching Kindergarten? :love:

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 24, 2005

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. I read it to my Preschoolers and they are in awe...also The Missing Piece by Shel Silverstein.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 24, 2005

Anything by Dr. Seuss, Kevin Henkes...

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 24, 2005

All of the ones mentioned are great but I like Eric Carle, Bill Martin Jr and Lois Elhert too. My kids like the Clifford and Franklin books too.

6. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

May 24, 2005

Some of my personal favorites:

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
    Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
    Click Clack Moo: Cows that Type
    First Day Jitters

I'll try to think of some more.

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 24, 2005

Sheep in a Jeep

It's my favorite book...and a great read-aloud for kinders. It has lots of rhyming words, and the kids love to yell them out.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 24, 2005

Don't forget the old classics...Billy Goats Gruff, Three Bears (original), Little Red Riding Hood, Three Pigs...the original versions...not these watered down new versions. Jack and the Beanstalk is a must...

9. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

May 24, 2005

Dr. Seuss - the kids like the rhyming and the strangeness of the characters. Plus you can always use these for Read Across America Day where he is "honored", I think in Feb??

10. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

May 24, 2005

To add a few,
    Little Critter books by Mercer Mayer
    Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin (who also wrote Click Clack Moo & Giggle, Giggle Quack)
    Three Hat Day by Arnold Lobel
    The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats (any of his are great)
    Parts by Ted Arnold
    Suddenly! by Colin McNaughton
    Dream Wolf by Paul Goble (all his are good too)
    Jamie O'Rourke & the Giant Potato by Tomie de Paolo
    Everybody Bakes Bread & Everybody Eats Rice both by Norah Dooley
    Raising Dragons by Jerdine Nolan
    Mrs. Katz & Tush by Patricia Polacco
    Abuela by Arthur Dorros
    my current fave: Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus! by Mo Wilhems
    & of course, Where The Wild Things Are....

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 24, 2005

Something I just can't figure out is why that Snowy Day book written by Ezra Keats is an award winning book. I must be missing something when I read it. It seems so ho hum to me, I just don't get what is so special about that book! Any comments?

12. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

May 24, 2005

Maybe it had something to do with the time period it came out in. Early sixties I want to say. Caldecott Medals are for illustrations & I think the use of collage in picture books was relatively new, more abstract in design than what was common. There also wasn't an abundance of children's books in general, they hit a huge boom late 60's, 70's & have kept growing. The story line is simplistic. I like using it for children with Autism & other spe ed because of the language you can draw from the children & the concepts of cause & effect, which is difficult for some to grasp. With typical & high functioning kids you can go more into compare & contrast & use it as an early reader book.

13. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 25, 2005

Strega Nona is another favorite and There was an Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly is great too

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 25, 2005

For them to begin reading later: anything that has one or two lines per page.
    For you to read to them: all that are mentioned above are great!

Don't forget flea markets. Some teachers rotate their books out this way, or if they move grade levels. I've found tons of books for cheap this way, plus the garage sales.

15. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 25, 2005

my current fave: Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus! by Mo Wilhems
    & of course, Where The Wild Things Are....[/QUOTE]

I just read that book for the first time this week...its so funny!

16. Prissypants

Prissypants Companion

May 26, 2005

I recently bought Diary of a Worm for my two year old son. I love it, although he's too young to "get" it. I read it to my friend's daughters, ages 4 and 8, and they think it's a hoot.

Also, I've done some improv stuff with them after reading Jack and the Beanstalk. If you do this tale with your students, you may also want to pick up a copy of some traditional Jack tales, there are thousands. Practice story tellling with your students. Then start a story, and let them act out how they think it should finish. Then tell them what really happens in the story. My friend's girls always beg to do this when they come over now.

Good luck! I teach high school, and I know that I couldn't handle teaching anyone younger than 6th grade, but I almost envy kindergarten teachers. Their students are so young, fresh, and excited about school. I don't see much of that by the time I get them.

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2005

To add to the list of familiar books/characters... I agree with Clifford. I would add Dora the Explorer, they have both English & Spanish books. My son is a lot younger than K and LOVES Dora...the books are soooo colorful.

Get little books and/or cardboard, so they will wear well!!!!

Don't forget garage/yard sales for books...

Also, don't forget to use your points for your classroom when you order books!!!!

18. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 26, 2005

Chicka Chicka 1,2,3
    Chicka Chicka Boom Boom are great too. My students love them

PrissyPants I agree about Diary of a Worm, My students loved it when a parent came in and read it

19. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 26, 2005

A lot of the Kinder teachers that I work with read The Gingerbread Man on the first day, and then bake their own gingerbread men. After recess, the kids come back and find that their cookies have "run" away. They look around the school (principal, nurse, office, library, cafeteria, counselor, etc) and finally find the cookies in their own classroom. It's a great activity to show students around their new school.

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 26, 2005

We read the Kissing Hand on the 1st day and make handprints with hearts inside for the moms and dads

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 26, 2005

We've done the Kissing Hand activity on the 1st day in kind. and the Gingerbread Man activity the first week of school. When we go to a special class, there is a note from the gingerbread man that we made. It gives us a clue of where to look the next day.

22. Margo

Margo Devotee

May 27, 2005

The Laura Numeroff books - If you Give a Mouse a Cookie, If You Give a Pig a Pancake, If You Give a Moose a Muffin, If You Take a Mouse to School, and I think they have one about a movie.

23. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 27, 2005

Yes. If You Take a Mouse to A Movie. These are great books to do a story comparission with.

24. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jun 1, 2005

Denise Fleming Books, In The Small, Small Pond, Also, Pancakes! The Napping House by Don & Audrey Wood, in fact any of their books......don't forget Jan Brett books, There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Trout! Since it is my favorite, anything to do with SNOW! So many books.........

25. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Jul 7, 2005

Awesome! I am teaching K for the first time this fall. It will be my first time in my own class, so I want to compile a good selection of books! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR IDEAS! ( and keep them coming!)

26. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 7, 2005

I also love Robert Munsch books. Also the Black Lagoon books by Mike Thaler. My kids love these, although I don't read them until we have been in school for a couple of weeks. Miss Bindergarten books are also a hit. Good Luck to all the new teachers out there :)

27. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 9, 2005

Please have diversity within your classroom library, Especially if you are teaching in a urban area. Read them throughout the year not only in February. Some good titles are The people could fly by Virginia Hamilton, Mufarou's Beautiful Duaghters, Bringing the rain to Kapiti plain. African Folktales are funny and your kids will enjoy them.

28. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 9, 2005

Environmental print books are good for a classroom library. You can even make an environmental print wall. Since I will be teaching in an urban area in September I will be making an environmental print books to keep in the class library.

29. skelley

skelley Rookie

Jul 10, 2005

Also, don't forget to get those all important ABC and numbers books. Jerry Pollota is a great author of those. Look ahead in your curriculum and see what science standards you are required to teach and be sure to get some of those books too. Your school library may be great, but the librarian before my current one only bought books geared to 3-5 grades. It's also nice to have your own too because you never know if the one you'll need will be checked out. Another great place to buy kids' books is at used book stores. I am lucky enough to live near a McKay's book store and they have oodles of books priced as low as 25 cents. I went there today and bought all of the black lagoon series, How the Grinch stole Christmas, Wacky Wednesday, Give me Half, several Clifford/Author books, and probably about 20 other books all for less than $25. It's easy to get addicted. :)

30. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 10, 2005

I have a sack puppet pattern..Chester the Raccoon that goes along with Kissing Hand. I found it on the web, but I don't know where, but I will scan,attach and share it with anybody that sends an email address that I can attach to. The first day put a small can of play dough on each desk and a 3 inch high by 8 inch tri-pod with students names on the front and back, attach with tape to the upper corner of their desk. Wonderful for the first few days, sub teachers, Paras, assistants, parents and etc. Leave all year. If they mess with it, just pass out two or three M&M's and miss them you have their attention quickly. "Oh you forgot me" "No you weren't following directions" Give them some tape and have them fix it and share treats, but tell them no treats next time. Great place for them to keep pencils and they aren't always digging in their boxes or desk for a pencil. When little fibs start. The Boy Who Called Wolf is great... I like the Ugly Ducklin

31. MJH

MJH Companion

Jul 10, 2005

Kids Love

My kids love the David books by David Shannon(not sure of sp).

No David
    David Goes to School
    David Gets In Trouble

The author wrote the first book when is was about five and the only words that he knew were his name, David and the word no. His mother sent him the book years later and he drew new pictures for it.

I think that is why my kids love it so much, because they can really relate to it and learn to read it quickly.

32. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Jul 10, 2005

My kids love Froggy and Arthur books. Later in the year a lot of the K teachers at school start reading Junie B. Jones- she is so funny! All of the above the books are fabulous!

Jaszmyn, I do not know what part of GA you are in but you should check out the Scholastic warehouse for books. They have sales where all their paperback books are $1.00 and hardbacks are $3.00-$5.00. I usually drive to the Scholastic warehouse in Kennesaw, GA.

33. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Jul 10, 2005

skelley- You are right McKay's is fabulous for finding books! I teach in Chattanooga and love their store. There is another great place to find books on Ringgold Rd- if you live near Chattanooga. The owner loves teachers and gives excellent discounts. The name of the store is The Book Company. She use to have her store off I-24 exit 181 in the flea market area behind the Chinese Restaurant.

34. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 10, 2005

Jaszmyn,

We have a Scholastic Warehouse here in Covington,GA also. :) Right off of exit 93 to the right if you are coming 20E

35. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 10, 2005

Please be sure to have a supply of more advanced books for your kindergarten students who have been reading for years before they started school. Beginning books are great for beginners, but not all small children are beginners. My daughter and her friends were all reading the 'Ramona' and 'Anastasia' books in kindergarten, and the teacher actually took them away and forced them to read the beginner books so the other children wouldn't feel bad. I am still very, very angry over that. Betcha can't tell.

36. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 10, 2005

I have baskets with leveled readers in it and would let the kids use them during free time and I would use them when working in centers. The kids loved them. I had a few students were really reading this year and they loved reading to their friends.

37. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 11, 2005

The Henry and Mudge series is good for your K-readers, as well as Eric Carle books which offer sequencing and repetition.