Kindergarten book needed! help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissT34, Dec 12, 2010.

1. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Dec 12, 2010

I'm going to be reading to two kindergarten classes on Wednesday and I'm required to have a follow-up activity or craft. I have NO experience with the age group and I have no idea what would be a good choice of book to read to them.

If anyone has any suggestions, along with the activity that I need to do, please please please let me know. Thanks!!:help:

3. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Dec 12, 2010

I love 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' by Eric Carle. We sing a song about the days of the week (based on a days of the week song by Barney), and they can cut and paste circles to make a caterpillar. If they know their numbers, they can sequence the circles in numerical order. If they know the days of the week they can sequence the days with the food the caterpillar ate (I googled images to get pictures of everything the caterpillar ate. I am sure there a tonnes more ideas on the net.

There are seven days
    There are seven days
    There are seven days in a week

Sunday, Monday
    Tuesday, Wednesday
    Thursday, Friday
    Saturday

(We also put our fingers up as we sing each day)

Another book I love is 'Brown Bear, Brown Bear what do you see? by Bill Martin (illustrations by Eric Carle). This is so repetitive. I actually made my own big book and laminated the pages. On multiple readings the children know what is coming next but in my book, the last page is blank and I draw something different every time with a whiteboard pen for the children to guess.

4. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Dec 12, 2010

May be find out what they have already done.

The Rainbow Fish is another favourite (about being a friend). The children get to make a fish and collage with tissue coloured scales and then add tin foil sclaes to make their shiny scale, just like rainbow fish. Again, there will be lots of ideas on the net.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 12, 2010

The Mitten by Jan Brett-the follow up activity could be a sequencing one-there are all kinds of templates online. She also wrote one I like better called The Hat-I think it's really funny. They could make a prediction and then follow-up with what really happened.

6. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Dec 12, 2010

From Head to Toe-either by Eric Carle or Bill Martin (I don't remember which one it is). Follow up with self portraits, and children dictate/write what they can do with a chosen body part.

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 12, 2010

Are you looking for something seasonal? Winter/Christmas?
    What about any of the Gingerbread books out there; or The Mitten. you could have the kids make paper gingerbreads and/or color, cut out the mitten and add a paper animal that's in the book.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 12, 2010

It Looked Like Spilt Milk. Then you could do string painting. (blob of paint, piece of string, fold paper, pull out string.)