Kindergarten/1st grade class, where do

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jlj, Jul 8, 2012.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 8, 2012

have your whole group lessons, on the carpet or with students at their desks/tables? In many classroom pictures it seems the desks/tables are a bit too far from the dry-erase/chalkbd, etc. for lessons. So in that case, what about writing lessons? Where do you have those & are they whole group or small group?

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2012

I teach 4th and all whole group lessons were done on the rug. I love it that way! If I was teaching K/1 it would definitely be the same!

4. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 8, 2012

When I taught 2nd grade, almost all of our whole-group instruction was on the rug.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 8, 2012

Almost always on the rug. For writing, I use a workshop model, so we have a lesson on the rug and they go to their seats to write. Sometimes they bring their whitebaords to the rug to write words or practice something.

6. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 8, 2012

Our whole group for reading and writing is on the carpet. I tend to introduce/ do math at seats though. We had workmats this year so it was just easier to be in one spot.

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2012

Almost exclusively on the rug for whole-group instruction. Back at tables for independent practice or if we're using a lot of manipulatives.

For writing I demonstrate on chart paper or the SMARTboard with the students all seated on the rug.

I find that their attention is much better on the rug.

8. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jul 8, 2012

I do this as well. The only time I don't is when I'm using the document camera, but I'm going to find a way to do that on the carpet this year.

9. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 8, 2012

I taught first grade last year, and we did most of our readers and writers workshop mini lessons on the carpet, as well as our math lessons. Most of their independent work was done at their seats, or quietly around the room. I had my floor area on the opposite end of my white board, so I used my rolling easel for all my mini lessons using the whiteboard or chart paper. I also had individual white boards for all the students to use while on the floor.

This year I am teaching Kindergarten, and I have a feeling I will be on the floor even more than I was last year!

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 8, 2012

As a 2nd grade teacher, many of my lessons are on the carpet.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2012

This is very interesting! I have a very small classroom, with little room for much beyond the children's desks, my "teacher table," our computer station and a couple of bookcases. I have a small rug (6X6 or so) in front of my smartboard, but all of my kiddos won't fit on it. Sometimes I'll have a few students who sit toward the back come forward to the rug, but I tend to do most of my whole group with the kids at their desks/tables. Of course, I do LOTS of small group work, too.

12. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2012

I have always taught group lessons on the rug. I've taught preK, K, 1st, 2nd and 3rd.