Kindergarden Newbie?!

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by forbiddenpluto, Jul 20, 2006.

1. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Jul 20, 2006

Kindergarten Newbie?!

I had my first interview with a school today... things seemed to go pretty well. They even said that I must have been very good at my previous profession (theatre).

Not even an hour later they called back to offer me a position.

Now I had originally gone in there with the hopes of a 3rd grade position, but apparently they thought my personality would be much better suited to kindergarten. I am absolutely PETRIFIED!!!

I start training (Reading 1st?) on Monday... and my first day as a teacher is on the 28th... wow... This is all happening so quickly.
    care of.

I can't believe I'm a teacher... this is all so surreal.

Now what do I do?!?! I've been with high schoolers before... even middle... but kindergarten!? I'm baffled on what to do. What do I focus on? What do I need to buy for the classroom? What do I do period!? lol

And as a side note... in my previous job I wore jammies to work (loooong story). So I have to pretty much buy a new wardrobe. What should I buy? What should I stay away from?

I have SO many questions!!!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  3. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 20, 2006

the most important thing i have learned in my kindergarten placements, especially my last one is to make sure have structure and procedures. I found that kindergartners and all children for that matter do well when knowing what when why and how...it makes them feel secure and safe so i say my best advice is to keep your routines and class procedures clear and consistant! good luck!!

4. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jul 20, 2006

I love kindergarten! Congratulations on the job.

As far as wardrobe, be as comfortable as your school will allow. Find out the dress code before you buy.

You will be on your feet all the time. You will be on your knees a lot. You will also end up sitting on the floor. I never wear heels and, I usually wear pants or jumpers. Capris are great if your school is casual. I get by with nice jeans and nice tennis shoes.

Brenda

5. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Jul 20, 2006

How do I go about asking about the dress code without sounding stupid? Is this a common question that is asked?

What do you mean by jumpers?

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 20, 2006

For the dress code, you ask other teachers, preferably ones in your grade level... because "what we actually wear" is sometimes different from "what they tell us to wear."

7. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Jul 20, 2006

But that means that I have to get there first! lol

Any suggestions then for the first day? Safe outfits?

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2006

Tan pants or skirt (neutral/khaki- you can wear so much with it!!) and a nice knit top looks cool and professional.

9. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 21, 2006

First of all, congratulations!! How exciting!!

In as much as I want to offer other advice about what to do next, I feel that the best thing to help you out with is... the spelling of kindergarten. Not trying to wave the red pen around but, you "for sure" spelled kindergarten wrong two times. Once you've got that under "control", everything else will be smooth sailing.

10. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Jul 21, 2006

I know, I realized that in my other posts, but missed this one.

:sorry:

11. Marcela

Marcela New Member

Jul 21, 2006

Congratulations! This was also my first year as a kindergarten teacher so I have a clue of how you feel. I was used to teach older people; I have taught school kids, highschool kids, and adults. When the headmistress of my school told me that this year I would be teaching 4 year-old kids, I felt like I was going to war with no weapons. I had no experience with little children. However, I can tell you now that these little persons have completely conquered my heart. I love being with them, teaching them not only English but also how to tie their shoes and stuff like that. They are sweet, caring, innocent, funny, pure, and they show their love every time with hugs and kisses and telling you about their lives at home. They are beautiful and I'm very happy to be a significant part of their lives.

Now about clothing, well, wear whatever you feel comfortable with, get ready to be standing, jumping and moving around all the time (don't even think about wearing heels! Choose comfortable shoes).

Good luck!

12. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Jul 21, 2006

Do you think the Croc shoes would be okay? Or are those not professional enough?

13. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 21, 2006

One of my colleagues wears them all the time and they seem to fit her. That might be a good choice in your collection of "teacher shoes".

No worries about the misspelling, it's so easy to do. I figured by pointing it out it would make you more aware so you don't "blow it" at the wrong time. :) Hehehehehe

14. sarajeankinder

sarajeankinder Rookie

Jul 22, 2006

Hey - I'm not new to teaching, but I will be new to kindergarten this fall. I am so excited, but also feel much like you do. My school is also reading first. Yesterday, I went to get my key and check out my classroom, and also had a chance to visit with the principal and office admin. assistants. They were all so warm and welcoming, and my new classroom is gigantic. That alone eased alot of the anxiety I was having ( that sounds much like yours!) I taught 3rd for 4 years. I was not at a reading first school, and for the most part I loved it. But there were many reading first schools in my district, and let me just tell you to count your blessings that you did NOT end up with a 3rd grade position in a reading first school for your first year in teaching. There is so much pressure placed on teachers by No Child Left Behind and standardized test scores that it begins to be impossible to enjoy teaching. My scores were always fine to excelling, but it could get pretty stressful at times. I'm sure kinder. will have its own challenges, but school to them IS a whole new world, so as long as you remain enthusiastic and flexible (which I know is a must in theatre), then you'll do fine.

15. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Jul 23, 2006

Kindergarten is a joy, but it can be physically exhausting. You should definitely plan on comfortable clothes and shoes. Also... make sure your clothing is washable.
    I wanted to give you a "heads up" as well....you will need to teach those little ones the proper procedure for everything from washing hands, to how you would like them to sit on a chair or at the carpet ,to how you expect them to line up and how to walk down the hall in a line. Plan on giving directions in two to three steps, no more. Plan on modeling/demonstrating everything that you want them to do!
    Also, most Kindergarten teachers incoporate a lot of music, movement, and art into the day. The Kindergartners thrive on routine, but they also like surprises. The good news is, you won't be taking papers home to correct.
    Before the first day of school, I always send a letter directly to the Kindergartner telling them about how excited I am to be their teacher. I talk about how I am preparing the classroom for them and sometimes tell them about me... my favorite color... or what I liked best about Kindergarten when I was their age. Then I tell them to bring their smile on the first day, and I will be sure to bring mine. Usually that works very nicely and I also have something to say to them when I greet them on the first day "I see you brought your smile...Where's that smile you were going to bring?.. wow what a nice smile you brought today"...etc.