Kindercare

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miz_Jay, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Aug 22, 2012

Hi all! I interviewed and was offered a to-be-determined position at KinderCare - either just kindergarten or kindergarten half day school agers half day. I haven't accepted the position yet.

I'm just wondering, before I accept if anyone has any insights about KinderCare they'd like to share. I'm also curious if KinderCare is better for finding a regular teaching position then my current daycare position.

Thanks!

3. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Aug 22, 2012

If you use the search bar, lots of old discussions about Kindercare should come up.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 22, 2012

KC gives you a curriuclum and lesson plans. I don't like being told what to teach, but if you are used to this style, it might work for you.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2012

Like Blue, I could never work for them but for some new teachers it is helpful because they don't have to think too much - they are told what to teach all the time, down to what bulletin boards to put up. I know a lot of dissatisfied Kindercare teachers and directors who moved on as quickly as they could. Turnover in our local area is very high.

I think subbing would get you in the door of elementary schools better if you can afford it.

6. msaly

msaly Comrade

Aug 25, 2012

I worked at a kindercare and I greatly disliked it. Our director was awful she yelled at staff if they asked a question about anything. I asked to go to the bathroom once and got yelled at telling me I should of went before my shift started, it was 12pm and my shift started at 630am. She ended up being fired for stealing money.

On my 2nd day another teacher came in while I was doing circle time, and she said to me "Oh your actually teaching them letters? Just let them play and give them some paper and markers to color so you can hang it up". I will never forget that- I knew then that I would not stay there.

Like others have said- I do not like being told what to teach- I like to add my own ideas. If you are used to creating your own lesson plans- it will be hard to get used to. You are told what to put on Bulletin Boards or on the walls.

I wasnt able to find another job for about 3 months, and I was miserable. I now work in a private Christian school and I LOVE it!
    I do however know a few teachers who have worked there for years and love it. I truly think it depends on who your director and district manager are. Ask if you can observe other teachers before you start, to see the lesson plans and how the classrooms are run.

7. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Aug 25, 2012

Thanks all! Your comments confirm my gut feelings of sticking where I am and subbing when I can.

I do like planning my own lessons and having freedom to do mostly what I want.

Thanks for your input!

8. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Aug 26, 2012

I worked for two years at KC and had three directors, and I have no idea how much staff turnover in the teachers. The last director was one of the worst bosses I've ever had. She'd pull the teachers in to her office and want reports from us on each other. Then she'd pull us in and tell us our co-workers were complaining about us. It was horrendous. She'd also tell us it was our fault when a potential customer came in for a tour and decided not to enroll his/her child. There was always "something" in our classroom that the parent didn't like, although she'd never elaborate on what she believed the something was. She was the major reason for me leaving. Eight years later, she's still the director of the school. Go figure.

Kindergarten might be a little bit different. I suppose it could be a way of getting experience on your resume, but I'd be very careful about the KC you accept a job in. If anything seems off, ti probably is.

9. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Sep 22, 2012

Hi everyone! I am also about to be a former KinderCare employee. I started with the company back in April, and since then we've had 2 directors, the 2nd one is on her way out and a 3rd one is on her way. I was told certain things would happen in regards to my classroom and my age group and that I "just had to be patient". Well the more I asked the more the answers changed, either enrollment had to be up or our classroom had to be "perfect" or I had to be able to manage 12 twos on my own before I could get my own classroom with older 2s before transitioning them to the next class. Last Tuesday I finally had enough after being asked to ship over 3 of my kids to another class so the other teacher could be in ratio and I could help out in the infant room, since I'm one of 2 teachers with Infant/Toddler qualified units, well when I was in the Infant room with the assistant director all she did was complain about the staff and how the schedule wasn't going how she wanted. It was just too, too much after everything else so I turned in my resignation on Wednesday. On Thursday the DM came out to our center and asked if there was anything she could do to convince me to stay, she also talked about the "big changes" that were coming to our center and how she wouldn't want me to "miss out". Sorry, I'm sick of drinking that particular flavor of Kool-Aid. She also asked if I had another job lined up already and when I told her I didn't she was shocked that I was quitting the way I was with nothing else lined up. I don't know when KC is going to get the message but you can't treat teachers the way they do and expect them to want to stay.