Kindercare Teachers

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by misstracey, Dec 28, 2011.

1. misstracey

misstracey Rookie

Dec 28, 2011

I was offered a job at Kindercare and of course I think of a ton of questions now, after the interview. Most of them are based on requirements that I had at other centers. So if anyone can answer my questions, I would be very much appreciative.

1. Do you have to turn in lesson plans and, if so, how far in advance?
    2. Do you have to fill out daily reports for the preschool classrooms?
    3. Do you have to have any required bulletin boards in your room? (birthday board, star of the month, theme related)
    4. Are there certain elements you have to have in bulletin boards? (3-d elements, photos of children, children's names)
    5. Do you keep portfolios on development?
    6. Back to school night? Parent-teacher conferences?
    7. Parent involvement? (movie night, school carnival, picnics/barbeques)

Thanks so much for your help!

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 28, 2011

I worked at Kindercare, and all lesson plans were pre-planned for you.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2011

It really varies by the center and the director. Each owner can have different requirements for their staff.

We were required to send home daily sheets with the students as well as keep bulletin boards (not sure that any were required though).

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 28, 2011

Congratulations on the new job! I worked at KinderCare way, way back in '97-'99. They may have changed some things, but I doubt that much has changed. Back then, we had lesson plan books that we pulled from. I believe there was one for each quarter of the year. You just basically had to choose from what was in there and copy it onto a lesson plan form that was posted for parents to see. We also had to write a synopsis of what we'd done that day and post it for parents to read as they signed out their child.

We were supposed to do bulletin boards, but the school where I worked was always kept staffed right to the requirements, so there was no time to do anything special unless you stayed after work on your own time, and we weren't supposed to be there when we were off the clock. We mostly just put up student work while the kids were napping.

A lot of things were up to the director and in the two years I worked there, we had three directors. The first was good, but very business-like. The second was awesome and loved the kids and spent a lot of time working with the staff on teambuilding and things like that. Unfortunately, she and her boss didn't get along, so she didn't last very long. The third director I had was one of the most terrible bosses I've ever had. She spent all her time trying to turn the staff against each other and even accused me of making a parent change her mind about enrolling her kid. (A BS accusation, since I'd had no contact at all with the parent in question beyond a smile and wave while the director brought her in to my classroom during nap time). Her antics and the awful atmosphere she created were ultimately the reason I left the job.

We didn't really have specific parent/teacher conferences unless there was a problem. Again, this was a while ago, and maybe things have changed, but KC was more focused on making money than on educational development. Everything was geared toward making the parents happy and telling them everything was fine as opposed to targeting areas where a child may have some problems. We did have progress reports, but they were very light and not too focused on academics.

I can remember one Christmas show and one Halloween carnival, and in the summer we'd have things like jumpers and traveling zoos come in. I think we had a bike day in the parking lot one year.

Please post about how you like it there once you start. I'd really like to know what their program is like now and how you feel about it coming from another center.

6. missnaebay

missnaebay Rookie

Jan 9, 2012

1- yes but its up 2 you you can pre-plan for a mnth in advance. it will be for a 2week unit plan and this is your addition to what is already there (cirriculum wise)

2-Yes preschool is required (but it depends on your class, director etc...in our P.S. class its Mon, Wed, Fri)

3-No

4- yes childs work, name and age, photo of child doing the work

5- yes

6-back 2 school night? depends on your center, confrences every sprig, winter and fall

7- No but then again it depends on your director...i have a great director and is ver felxible i do a lot :love: but my district is the bomb

n i teach PK

7. missnaebay

missnaebay Rookie

Jan 9, 2012

o yea and its winter gala (like winter concert, Spring gala (same), art expo etc

8. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 12, 2012

So a Kindercare called me today. They said they had my resume on file from a while ag

So a Kindercare called me today. They said they had my resume on file from a while ago and wanted to know if I wanted to interview. I think I remember applying there long ago. We set it up for latter in the week, but then the person wanted it tomorrow I ask what position and they said they have several openings at a few locations in there area. The Kindercare is far from me but is in a location I am trying to relocate to. I have interviewed in the past with Kindercare. I do have experience and meet the daycare teacher and director requirements for my state. Yes I am a male. Any advice? :help:

9. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 14, 2012

Is this a good follow up? Why or why not? Should I send it by email and or snail ma

Is this a good follow up? Why or why not? Should I send it by email and or snail mail? How soon should I send it after the interview?
    March 14, 2012

Dear:

Thank you so much for your time and the privilege of having an interview with you yesterday, March 13. The Teacher II career opportunity you outlined sounds both challenging and rewarding.

As mention in the interview I have gained many skills from teaching experience, college and the military. Thank you again for the opportunity to be considered by KinderCare Learning Centers(Knowledge Universe) The interview served to reinforce my strong interest in becoming a part of your team.

Sincerely,