Kindercare Employees

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Joyride, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2008

Why do you have a problem with minorities??? Head Start is NOT just for minorities!!! It is for children of all color and social economic backgrounds who are at risk for school failure! And, as a matter of fact, they pay d*#@ good money! I speak from experience! In case you didn't know, it is a FEDERALLY funded program, so they can afford to pay qualified, certified early childhood teachers MORE money than public schools. My jobs paid very well, and had full benefits. Some are 10 months, and others are year round.

That is if you bothered to really look.

And what is this hang up you have about 'dangerous areas' ?? What is so dangerous about Orland Park or Bridgeview, IL ????

The reason why you see predominantly minority families is because that's all you want to see. And BTW...some families are not necesarily at risk, poor, or even minorities...they qualify based on the fact that they have large families..just because...and there is nothing wrong with these children, they just come from a large family.

I know I am not the only poster who sees this.....

If you only want to work with certain people, in a certain area...

keep looking...

Children of all colors need good teachers of all colors. You want to stick to one color and one neighborhood....

Keep looking

another thought...

People who are in middle and upper income levels who live in a perfect neighborhood wouldn't need child care. Most are stay-at-home-moms, have a private childcare provider or have their children in a private school.

again... I know I am not alone here...

2. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 7, 2008

tgpii- It's obvious your philosophy does not fit the philosophy of Head Start. Could it be the Directors of the Kindercares where you interviewed felt your philosophy did not fit theirs either?

3. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Apr 8, 2008

10.50 is crap if you have a degree.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2008

If you really believe that its all about the money then maybe you're in the wrong profession. There are people with degrees out there are making LESS than that!

5. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 8, 2008

I know you have said you have a degree, but it isn't in Early Childhood is it? That my be part of the reason too. Speaking of Head Start. I worked in the area you are from, and we had a Head Start program. The children who came to my class after having participated in Head Start were not all minority and we weren't even close to a dangerous area. These children, many times, came from good families, they just fit into the criteria to qualify for the program.

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2008

Head Start here is awesome!
    Starting $28,000 with benefits.
    That is low compared to other professions but in the ball park for WI teachers.

Head Start here is for any child who is at risk of not graduating.
    Early childhood here is for any child with delays.
    Both these may be different elsewhere.

7. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2008

Our Head Start is definitly not in a bad area. In fact, it's in one of the safest areas around our general area, and in a pretty wealthy area I might add as well. Most of the kids that go there come from other areas outside of the center's area, but the center itself is in a pretty darn nice place. Not to mention, the facility itself is brand new and REALLY nice as well.

8. hdb2008

hdb2008 Rookie

Apr 8, 2008

I didn't say I had my degree at that time, my job enabled me to continue my education in IECE.

My question to you is are you in this profession for the money or the children? If its for the money you better look for another profession.

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2008

Yep. :)

Also, some people would kill to make $10.50 an hour. Try $7.50 here at some.

10. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Apr 8, 2008

I work at several smaller independent day cares and a small chain (3 locations). For

I work at several smaller independent day cares and a small chain (3 locations). For some reason the major chains will not hire me. In my state I am DCFS director/teacher qualified. However in the same state under SBE I am only substituting professional (fancy name for aid) qualified. Why is that? I know that preschool teachers don’t make much. So my professional goal is to get into management/director. The problem I am having is a place wants you to have management experience to go into manager/director? How do I get this experience if they will not hire me to get the experience? I tired to get in a chain place and work my way up but the chain places will not hire me. I have experience as a preschool teacher/aid/bus,van driver. Most places I worked at would not let males change diapers. Currently I work at a small daycare. A middle age couple owns it and I love the place. They let me change diapers witch I want to do. (I am equal to females ECT). The place pays nothing and I can’t get full time. If you have any advice or like to see my resume PLEASE let me know. Also, if I posted this in the wrong place PLEASE move it and or let me know were or how to move it.

Tom
    :help:

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2008

tgpii, you already posted this on this board, so why hijack this thread with the same info when people are going to read the one posted by itself?

12. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 8, 2008

tgpii- A liberal arts degree is not enough. You need coursework in early childhood education. Your educational background is lacking especially in Diversity and Communication with families. Your local community college would have these courses.

In addition, you should have education in the teaching methods for young children. Early Childhood Education is more than changing diapers, supervision, and driving children around- thats daycare. You have the qualifications for daycare and you are right it doesn't pay much.

Early Childhood Education is teaching children. You need to understand how children develop and learn, how family dynamics and environment affect learning, how to teach exceptional children at both ends of the spectrum.

You are a long way from being a Director or a Teacher educationally,work experience, and skill-wise.

Why not use your exisiting skills EMT and Warehouse? You can get more money quicker.

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 8, 2008

This has been an interesting thread to catch up with. I'm actually surprised it wasn't archived a year ago since the first post is in 2006.
    Anyway...

Preschool teachers here are paid the same as other classroom teachers. They must be a certified teacher. I think 1st year PK teachers (no experience, but certificate) pay is around 34,000

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2008

What a challenge it is to teach somebody who won't listen.

Where is a moderator??? We need a little assistance here.

Will somebody please close this thread?? Or at least put it in the marathon page....as it seems to be running on forever.

15. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 8, 2008

I'm going to close this thread for now, because it seems to have run its course. The original topic has gotten obscured and I think we're forgetting its original purpose. I'll let Amanda make the final decision about keeping it open or moving it.

Feel free to open more threads to revisit these issues if you want... but please remember that making generalizations isn't necessarily helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.