Kindercare Employees

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Joyride, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Feb 25, 2008

None of the Kindercares near me will hire me or clam to have no openings. However th

None of the Kindercares near me will hire me or clam to have no openings. However the ones father from me want to hire. Should I take a job that is far away and hope for a transfer? Do you think relocation is worth it? Anyone know how this district thing works? Does anyone think that Knowledge Learning Corporation (they own kindercare) is better to work for then La Petite Academy? Everyone says Kindercare is easy to get into but they are hard to get into.

2. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Feb 25, 2008

None of the Kindercares near me will hire me or clam to have no openings. However the ones father from me want to hire. Should I take a job that is far away and hope for a transfer? Do you think relocation is worth it? Anyone know how this district thing works? Does anyone think that Knowledge Learning Corporation (they own kindercare) is better to work for then La Petite Academy? Everyone says Kindercare is easy to get into but they are hard to get into. I have worked in several Centers. Once you start working in childcare you see how shady the bossiness is. Anyone know the pay scale for jobs at Kindercare? Also, remember Kindercare is a corporation. I worked for a few retail changes before; each store I worked at even thought it was the same chain was different.

3. Heart2TeachSpEd

Heart2TeachSpEd Rookie

Feb 26, 2008

Well I know when I worked there it took them almost a month to get all of my paper work done! It is a long drawn out process to get on with them that is all I have to say.....

4. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Feb 27, 2008

Stores far away seem to want me. Stores close to my house do not? Could it because

Stores far away seem to want me. Stores close to my house do not? Could it because I am MALE and in the IL ARMY NATIONAL GUARD?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  5. CollegeEducated

CollegeEducated New Member

Mar 1, 2008

I think you are really over thinking it. Do you want to be a teacher at a Kindercare? The only way to really know what it is like is to try it. Every center is different because the directors are different. Every centers pay scale is different as well. You probably won't get paid an extravagant amount because it is a teaching job at a preschool... you have to keep that in mind. If this is what you really want to do, try it. When you say far away is it 30 min or 2 hr? Because if it is 30 min that isn't too bad. You could show them you are one of their best employees and the other centers will then wish they had hired you. It is all in your perspective. Show that you are devoted and hard working. Inform them you would like something close to you, but who knows you might like it at the center that hired you. The "district thing" is you have a director, then a district manager who is the director's boss and oversees 10-15 Kindercares around the same area. Then you have a regional manager who is the district manager's boss and oversees a few districts.

6. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 2, 2008

I have an interview at a company called Bright Horizons. Can anyone tell me anything

I have an interview at a company called Bright Horizons. Can anyone tell me anything about this company? The interview is for Program Coordinator. Can anyone tell me pay scale or anything else about this job? If I posted this in the wrong spot, I am sorry and PLEASE let me know ASAP

TGPII

7. kidwrangler

kidwrangler Rookie

Mar 2, 2008

A good way to make the best impression when you interview is to research the company beforehand.

Ironically enough, after having had it up to here with KinderCare I had an interview with BH last week. Was very impressed!

8. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Mar 2, 2008

Do they still make the teachers wear those silly smocks all day? :lol:

9. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Mar 2, 2008

I worked at a KinderCare for a few years. Although the director was great, she had her hands tied as to what upper management would let her do/not do. Very frustrating. I've seen teachers being pulled out of their rooms to cover other classes...the absentee rate for teachers was extremely high. That translated into if you showed up that day, you worked 2 shifts and no lunch, staying beyond your leave time. Not to mention instability for the kids.

We've had teachers unload delivery trucks (older ladies from the infant room lifting heavy cartons!!!) and drive the vans around town (sometimes doing personal errands). They would have inexperienced teens in charge when the director wasn't there. The pay also stunk, and yes, even though you get benefits, you pay through the nose for them. (1/2 your paycheck!!)

When I became a mom, I stayed home and then worked at another school. When I couldn't have a potty break when pregnant, that was the last straw.

10. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 2, 2008

HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY! :whistle:

HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY! :whistle:

11. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 2, 2008

I worked at a smaller places. 1 0r 2 stores or plans for more stores. Not sure if you call that a chain. Anyways same bullshit. I think the private daycare industry is bullshit. To make any money you have to be in a public school.

12. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 3, 2008

You think SMOCKS are bad? I got a few stories for you. I worked at a place were the

You think SMOCKS are bad? I got a few stories for you. I worked at a place were they all had smocks but since I was the only male on staff I got a company T-shirt. I worked at another place were females had to wear dresses, and males had to wear ties. The tie always got in the way. The females had hard time working/playing with the children in a dress. Plus dress clothes cost more and on what you got paid it was a joke.

13. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 3, 2008

:2up:I started a form called: Threads in Forum : Preschool

You are subscribed to this thread I have an interview at a company called Bright Horizons. Can anyone tell me anything
    tgpii

PLEASE post there. Thanks. :thanks:

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 3, 2008

Smocks are a traditional teacher dress. I love them as I can carry all my needs with me--pens, pencils, tissues, paper, etc. But, I give my staff the option of wearing one. Everyone needs to be happy at their job.

As for chains--I run a private, nonprofit for a church. We have trouble competing with the chains--even though we charge less. Our teacher turnover rate is very low.

15. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 7, 2008

I know, just that smocks don't look right on a male.(not to be sexist) None of the Kindercares near me would/will higher me. Yesterday, I had an interview( I think for a manager/assistant director). The director/person was like oh so your in the National Guard, you can get deployed. She made a big deal about it. I was thinking WTF I am protecting and service my country. The questions she ask seem to be off the top of her head. Later I had an interview at another location with an assistant director, they saw I was in the National Guard. The direct was like I have a cousin in the guard at the same armory. Her questions seem to be off paper and more corporate. Most people say Kindercare is easy to get into. I am/have a very difficult time. Why is all this?

16. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Mar 7, 2008

tgpii- Why are you looking at chains? I don't know anything about your educational background, but a college- based center would pay a lot more for an experienced, educated male teacher than a chain. A male is considered an asset rather than a liability because many boys come from single parent homes where mom is the caregiver. As a result, many boys could benefit from more exposure to males in a female oriented industry. You'd get a lot of education, and opportunity for advancement.

17. kidwrangler

kidwrangler Rookie

Mar 8, 2008

I second the idea to move away from chains. KinderCare just can't seem to maintain consistency from location to location. My former director probably would have hired you if your qualifications/background checked out. Unfortunately, the money isn't there. KLC Corp makes out just fine, but the profit margin in our industry is slimmer than most.

I turned in my 2 weeks notice a few days ago and management is now giving me the silent treatment. How mature is that? If anyone ever wanted to know why I'm leaving... :rolleyes: I've just been so disgustingly nice to them because I'm better than that.

18. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 8, 2008

I have seen both sides, some people/employers/schools ect are like cool a male and o

I have seen both sides, some people/employers/schools ect are like cool a male and others are like why we have a male? Most parents were cool with it. The first place I worked at I was the only male on staff. Because I was male at first I manly worked with the older children. Then was to only work with 3 and up. However I did work with almost every group but infants. Another place let me do everything but infants and diapers, but I know if I stated there I would do that. People would take bets that I couldn’t handle under 3 years old. But I did and it was fine. Some places don’t care and put me with any age. Other places play it safe with males. Like I said I done both. I get ask in interviews what ages I like. I tell them honestly I don’t care you either love children or hate them. I have worked with everything from a 1 up to 8 year old all with in a 2 hour period before. lol.

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2008

ditto jen

I taught 2yr old class. It was just like McDonalds...get em in and out. (move them up to 3y old room as soon as potty trained!) Assembly line diaper changing. Work on lesson plans in dark. Stuff was not DAP at all. Sheesh, 2ys put everything in their mouths! There curriculum was more geared towards 4s, IMO.

eta...only difference between them and ABC daycare up the street is that they will give you benefits. Think your kids or grandkids can go for free or 1/2 price. Still only make miminum wage, but may get increases.

20. ProudMomofTwo

ProudMomofTwo New Member

Apr 2, 2008

I am a parent, not a teacher. I have a Pre-K'er and an infant at a Kindercare in an affluent town in MA. I also have a best girlfriend who worked for a NH Kindercare for years and was the one who recommended them to me when I needed daycare.

I have never regretted by decision to enroll my children. The Director and Assistant are what makes the center. Yes, I was concerned when my daughter had 4 teachers in 6 months in the 2's room. But I talked to them and they listened. IT is super expensive and have thought several times about finding a cheap home daycare. But my Kindercare is always open, flexible, clean, safe and responsive so I keep the kids there.

I realize that the teachers are not paid well. Therefore as a parent I try to do little things, like volunteer to read the morning story or help on teacher appreciation day. I work full time, 40 miles from my home. I use up precious vacation days to spend a few hours every once in awhile at the center. Even a small thank you note goes far (i think anyways) and I NEVER pick up my children late. That is plain rude and the woman who said it isnt HER fault there is traffic/snow/bus delays, boo-hoo. My commute is 1 hours each way and I manage it. it is called planning and consideration, try it.

I think that every place is different (and I visited 7 daycares before deciding on Kindercare). They have their ups and downs like every other place. I think that the area the Center is in will also let you know the quality of the personnel and the facilities. That sounds so snobbish, but I think it is a reality. Sort of like just like why some Target stores are really nice and some arent so nice. All same corporation, but definately different environments.

If you want your child germ free, you want only the best quality food, you want unlimited availability, and you want quality care, go live in a fairy land, find a really good nanny or stay home with your children. For the rest of us, we make the best choices we can afford and spend as much loving quality time as possible with our children when we are not working.

Good daycare teachers have one of the toughest teaching job, and as fellow teachers you should have more respect for eachother.

Just my 2 cents

21. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 2, 2008

ProudMomofTwo

Well said.

22. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2008

I agree with blue, well said...but I do have an issue with this part. They are not all cheap...and the sentence kind of makes it sound like you are lumping all home daycares into a category of "babysitters who are cheap, unprofessional, and unstructured". I ran my own in-home, and I was none of the above. I was a "teacher" (I cringe at being called a babysitter). I charged just as much as any large center, because I COULD...because my program (not to toot my own horn) was that good. ;) I am sure this is not what you meant, as the remainder of your post was very eloquant and respectful. I just have a hard time reading something that suggests all in-homes are a cheap "babysitting" alternative, is all. :cool: There are some that yes, are babysitters...but those of us who were/are proud of our profession made/make it a point to do the opposite.

23. ProudMomofTwo

ProudMomofTwo New Member

Apr 2, 2008

I didnt mean to offend, just a mistype. I meant a cheaper home daycare option. In general, the home daycares I visited were much less expensive than Kindercare. That is a reflection of price, not quality.

My issue with home daycares was/is availability. Usually they are run by one person and when that person is sick or has a sick family member, then they would not be available. A center daycare is always open.

24. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2008

Totally understandable. That is the one downfall to homecare. I was lucky to have only used one sick day within 3 years (my son had the flu), always gave more than ample notice for vacation days, and even found a sub teacher when I went on maternity leave. My families were rarely in a stick, and the benefits I gave the kids outweighed it (highly structured program, etc.).

I can understand people not wanting to deal with it though. It can be stressful if a family doesn't really have any alternative to use if a home center is closed for a day.

And I wasn't actually offended, just wanted to clarify...I was pretty certain that I just took it wrong. :cool:

25. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Apr 3, 2008

Forge Kindercare, everyone says that Kindercare is easy to get a job at. This is not true. I applied/interviewed at several locations with no luck. I did recently started to work at a small independent preschool.

26. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Apr 3, 2008

Yes, don't we all want this for our children? It sounds like you're trying to justify your poor choices you've made for your children. I have worked for a center in the past (the director makes all the difference), however, MY choice was to give my children the 'best quality care', 'best quality food', and a 'germ free environment' that I could. So I didn't send them there. Why would you settle for inferior food or anything less for yours? There ARE better choices out there. Do what's right for your children. :2cents:

Good Luck,

Certified Teacher & Mom

27. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2008

Turtle, as I agree with the fact that there much better choices than Kindercare, I think what she was saying was different than how you took it. I think what she was trying to say is that any center will have imperfections, and if parents are trying to find a center without flaws then they need to just stay at home and not deal with daycare. That is how I took it anyway. Perhaps I am wrong though.

28. ProudMomofTwo

ProudMomofTwo New Member

Apr 5, 2008

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2008

I don't think I responded to this question yet..but, it is hard to say that any organization is willing or able to honor your request for a transfer. Getting a job up north, simply based on your hopes of getting transferred to western suburbs will not work...IMO. If you got hired, you would be miserable with the commute, (even arrive late a few times too many) and that would sabbatoge your efforts of looking good and applying for a transfer.

I also see you are male, and you wonder if this is an issue. I don't think so. Many preschool programs actively seek male teachers!

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2008

I have to disagree with you on Head Start. They are not only for minorities. They are designed for children and families at risk. It is based on income. That goes for all races and nationalities. Hate to tell you that traditionally, minorities have been at risk...and will probably continue...until somebody or something changes...That is why is why you think it is not for everyone...because everyone is not at risk. that is my :2cents: Maybe when economic and social situations change...we won't need Head Start, or it can become part of State Pre-K programs!

BTW... did you know there is a Head Start in Orland???

http://www.ilheadstart.org/jobs/ceda082106.html

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2008

ditto...but you must be open and understanding to the field...and that means going where the jobs are, even if that is inner city neighborhoods, or high income but special needs children in surburban schools.

I used to wonder why I had a large amount of job offers for special ed, until I realized that it is part of the territory.

So if you don't want to work with learning disabled, autistic, or minority, low income children...

just thought I would let you know...

32. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2008

Was this a mistake/typo too???

and the woman who said it isnt HER fault there is traffic/snow/bus delays, boo-hoo. My commute is 1 hours each way and I manage it. it is called planning and consideration, try it.

I guess I don't know, and have yet learned how to plan for freight trains, buses that break down, and Chicago snowstorms.

Nothing inconsiderate about that.

It's called, life and life happens.

I knew the director was always there until 6:30 the teachers did not have to stay. My babysitters were more understanding.

BTW...that was before cell phones. And no, her father (my mother, friend, family member) could not pick her up...I guess if they could, I wouldn't need daycare anyway.

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2008

:clap::clap::clap:

34. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 5, 2008

With Private Preschools and Home-based Pre-Schools EVERYTHING (food, curriculum, ratio, teacher qualifications) depends on the philosophy, education and experience of the Director. Good Director = Good Quality. Poor Director = Poor Quality

Ususally with the for-profit chains, the Director is hired to run the center according to the philosophy of the chain and State Guidelines. The decisions for curriculum, education and requirments of the teachers, ratios, wages, food are all made by the chain. Usually the bottom line for these for-profit chains is the profit.

35. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Apr 6, 2008

I have tried several times at several locations to get a job at kindercare and they will not hire me. I have a degree and experience. I recently got a job at a small independent mom and pop day care. So far I love it. Just that I need to find a FULL TIME job. Any advice why a independent as big as kindercare would not hire someone with experience and a degree?

36. kidwrangler

kidwrangler Rookie

Apr 6, 2008

I used to work for a good KinderCare. I left only to become a nanny for an increase in pay and to cut my commute down. I had managed to keep the same core group of children from their 2nd birthdays until many were approaching age 4. You never expect that to happen in most places, esp. a chain like KinderCare but I can attribute it to the director and her assistant who could see it was so good for the kids AND their parents. Funny thing is, I felt so terrible for leaving even though it was best for my situation at the time, and within 2 months the entire management staff turned over, the center became unprofitable, and it was closed. So it wouldn't have mattered.

The KinderCare I work at now is pitiful. The building is falling apart, the staff is uncaring and lazy with few exceptions, we get lunch an hour late at times, ratios are meaningless, etc. I go to the library every week and lug home 20-30 books on our curriculum which the kids soak up like sponges. Management refuses to buy us books. I do the best I can with what I have and it's more draining on me physically/emotionally than I can put into words. My pre-K parents and kids are happy with what we do and that helps. I am working toward my CDA as quickly as possible and then I can work in the school system's pre-K program. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that my current class is learning a great deal and that I'll one day work for an organization that does not exist for anyone's financial gain.

37. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 6, 2008

PROFIT. The would rather hire someone with minium education and experience and pay less.

38. tracer330

tracer330 Rookie

Apr 6, 2008

about parents being late:

i teach pre-K at my center and both my children attend; my soon-to-be-three year old son and my 15 month old daughter both go there; my classroom is downstairs, both of theirs are upstair; i have worked there for almost four years; all the employees are pretty close; i mean, we're not all friends, but we all pretty much get along and help each other out

we close at 6, but a lot of times i end up going upstairs after 6 because of cleaning up my classroom and getting things in order; there are a couple of teachers who usually offer to watch my kids when i'm finishing up; they joke about me having to pay the late fee when i come up after six, but we all try to help each other out

when parents are late, we charge $10 for every 15 minutes per child; so if there are 2 kids from one family, they actually have to pay $20 for every 15 minutes; the parents almost always call, unless they for some reason can't through; the teacher who stays with the kids gets the money; our directors sometimes offer to stay, but if another teacher who has a key doesn't mind closing up, they usually end up leaving; even teachers who don't have keys sometimes stay because they can lock the front door and go out a side door that is locked from the outside; we always ask each other who wants to stay or who minds staying; there are some teachers who have to leave for class or because they have plans or because they have kids waiting at home; those of us who don't mind staying, will stay, because we help each other out; and the parents usually can't help being late; they come in with multiple apologies and most of the parents are highly appreciative of us and let us know it; if you pull together with your coworkers and your parents, late pick ups shouldn't be a spring board for such problems, as long as its not a regular thing by the same parents

39. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Apr 7, 2008

Non profit would be a head start program. They are usually for minorities or low income areas. They pay crap and in dangerous areas usually.

40. hdb2008

hdb2008 Rookie

Apr 7, 2008

While it is true that Head Start programs are a non-profit program and they serve low-income families. However, you forgot to mention that Head Start programs also provide services for children with disabilities. For more information on the purpose of Head Start programs follow this link. http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/hsb/index.html

As for the pay being "crap" and the programs usually being in dangerous areas. I have to disagree. As a former Head Start employee, I have to say the pay was "good" for me--I left a private center making minimun wage and went to a Head Start program making 10.50/hour. I was also provided insurance and able to continue my education in IECE. In Kentucky some programs are in the "bad parts of town", but I have also seen many private centers that are in the "bad parts of town also."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.