Kindercare Employees

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Joyride, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2007

JenPooh and MsWk..

I can appreciate both of you.

In fact, I must say MsWk..over the summer, I have really grown to appreciate our heated debates. ;)

You have shown me what works for me, and what doesn't. In fact, I think the more I read, the more I understand my past, appreciate the present, and plan for the future.

We all have our opinions in child care, and education.

no tomatoes from me jenny!

2. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 11, 2007

We have a parent of five at our school. She is a non-working mother. Her children are all in school. She is always perfectly dressed with perfect make-up and always LATE. When one of her kids was in Pre-K, she had the gall to hand the teacher a twenty dollar bill and say, "Here, this is for when I am late in the future!!!" :mad: Another time she was angry when the Pre-K teacher started the Christmas program (on time) without her!!! :eek:hmy: She could care less about being late. Her kids get really upset. Its a hard situation.

3. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Dec 12, 2007

fly to the day care in our private jets? haha. i was a single mom, too. i'm not single anymore...but i was when my daughter was in daycare and i was waiting tables. yes, i had a car which i worked and paid for. snow, traffic, whatever....plan ahead...leave early and pick your kids up on time. there's traffic and snow where i live and and still in 3 years i haven't been late.

4. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Dec 12, 2007

there are two kids in my class who are always the last kids to leave EVERY DAY. the funny thing is, their moms are the only ones who don't have jobs! somehow these people scam the system and get daycare assistance and they drop their kids off first thing in the morning and will say "i'm going back to bed" or "i'm going to clean house" or "i'm going to the grocery store" and then they come pick them up right at six or after while everyone else who works pick their kids up on time. i love my job, but the parents are the worst part of it. ESPECIALLY the late parents. they don't even say sorry most of the time. it's like they think that it's your job and you have nothing else to do, anyway. my schedule says i get off at six. not to mention my kids go there too and have been there all day so they want to go home. and to the person who said that they get off at 4:30 and have to take the train blah blah....that's still just an excuse. what if i have an appointment at 6:30 that i am late for because of you? or my daughter has to be 15 minutes late for her 45minute gymnastics session that starts at 6:30 (that costs money)...do you think she cares about your train? the best thing to do if you can't make it on time is to find another center because all it does is make everyone lose respect for you and cause a lot of frustration that your kid is going to sense. not to mention every teacher is going to dread your kid being in their class...sad, but true...nobody wants to stay late after work...unless you do??

5. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Dec 12, 2007

so... we're insensitive, but that teacher was helpful because.....she gave you some common sense information?...how have you made it this far....does your boss pin notes to your shirt?

6. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Dec 12, 2007

Wow...I have worked for KinderCare for 5 1/2 years and I know the repuations and the ideas people have about it in certain areas. The main point, each center is different and each has it's own way of running. Just reading this you can see that (different late fees, hours, etc...) I am a manager in a VERY large KinderCare (60 staff, 200 children and 17 classrooms) so I deal with 10 times more than all of you on a daily basis.
    Basically, everyone is right! Childcare, unfortunately is not a glamorous job or an ideal situation for parents, but everyone CHOOSES what they do, and we all have choices. The directors job is hard, I do it. It's a fine line of balancing, kids, staff and parents. Pay isn't great, but we knew that going in, so stop complaining about it. Parents do suck, but we knew that going in, so stop complaining about it. Teachers and childcare and directors suck, get over it. EVERYONE of us made the choice to be where we are, if we don't like it, we can all make the choice to get out!
    I love my job, I sincerely do, and managing a center that large, is not easy, but everyone needs to meet in the middle. I know late parents are frustrating, but 6:02? I don't charge parents for that. I start at 6:05, then start, unless it's a chronic everday thing. About lateness...a simple phone call would be great...just a courtesy....I sat in my center one night til 7:45 (we close at 6) waiting with a child who had not been picked up. Children and Youth was involved, the police were involved, all because the parent couldn't call us! That's disrespect, showing up at 6:02 once or twice isn't huge.
    This whole thread has gotten me started...lol..because again..everyone here has made the choices they made..nobody made you work there, nobody made you enroll your child, if your that unhappy...leave..if your not unhappy..great..come work for me! LOL :)

7. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Dec 12, 2007

Kindercare sucks!! Major Rant!!

This is just my two cents but I personally think Kindercare sucks. I will tell you my personal experience with them and I will also tell you that I was fired. Having said that will also tell you that I did or did not do certain things so that they would fire me and I would be able to draw unemployment while I persued jobs within schools. Anyway, here are just a few of the reasons that I did not like working for Kindercare.

1. We were told that we would have time for planning and would not have take anything home. Well, the entire time I worked there the only planning I ever did was on my unpaid lunch hour and about 2 or 3 hours every night. The only free time we had in the rooms were when the kids were asleep for nap and usually as soon as we were done cleaning one of the directors would show up to give us our break.

2. I was hired as full time but they didn't tell me that if the enrollment was down then my hours would be cut. It happened quite frequently. So I took a second job and then they got upset when my room wasn't perfect and full of curriculum stuff when they never gave me five minutes during the day to do things.

3. They were also upset when I took a second job which really wasn't any of their business.

4. They hired me a as a four's and five's room teacher and I ended up in the toddler room which really was not my cup of tea.

5. My boss promised to give me the new Kindergarten room when it opened up and even "praised" my abilities with working in the school age rooms when I had the chance. Then they turned around and stuck me in the toddler room where she knew I was uncomfortable.

I could go on but I think I have ranted enough. But in my experience the pay was in no way equal compensation for what was expected of me on a daily basis. The turnover in staff was extremely high. We had a staff of about 17 and between the time I started and the time I was fired there were about 10-14 staff changes.

Now having said that I would like you to know that I am not totally cruel and heartless. I absolutely love kids, that is the major reason that I decided to become a teacher in the first place. I just work better with the older kids because that is where my experience is.

Mldouglas

8. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Dec 12, 2007

And again....sometimes a director needs to do what is best for the CENTER, not just an individual. They are not here to acommodate any one person...They do what is best for the center and the children. We are not here to cater to your every whim and demand...they have many things to consider....and yes sometimes promises have to be put on hold or taken back for that very reason.

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2007

I was going to say the same thing.

Would I have been upset my hours were cut? You betcha, but I understand that things like that happen EVERYWHERE, not just in daycare. It's reality. It's life. You deal with it, you move on. Noone said life is fair.

I do have to agree that Kindercare, and places of the like, don't pay their staff well. The one here pays $7.50 an hour, and that's even with certification. After finding that out, I went up the road to a NON-PROFIT center and made $9.50 an hour at that time. I think their turnover would be lessened if they paid better. Making $7.50 an hour here wont even able someone to live on their own without government help.

10. tdsandmeyer

tdsandmeyer New Member

Feb 3, 2008

hello,
    I'm new on this site but wanted to ask you about Kindercare. I have an interview on Tuesday and wanted to know what I should wear? Is a suit too much? That is what I plan on wearing, just dont' want to be overdressed!
    Thanks!

11. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Feb 4, 2008

As a former director at KC, I would say that a suit is too much. I would go with a nice pair of pants and a shirt. You want to be able to get down on the kids level as you walk around and if they ask you to spend some time in the classroom.

12. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Feb 4, 2008

I agree, as a current KinderCare manager, a suit would be too much. The dress code is typically khaki pants and a polo shirt they provide. So something along those lines would be appropriate, but you can dress it up just a little for the initial interview. Childcare is not a beauty pageant, but who is best to work with the kids. I can say, if they put you into a room for a tryout as part of your interview (as we do), be sure to interact with the kids, sit with them, play with them, talk to them, offer to help the teacher. Standing there leaning against a wall isn't going to help you get the job.. Good Luck

13. tdsandmeyer

tdsandmeyer New Member

Feb 5, 2008

Thank you! It's this afternoon and I'll hope all goes well. :) Glad I won't be wearing my suits, not sure they fit after baby! :)

14. kidwrangler

kidwrangler Rookie

Feb 5, 2008

I have read this thread with great interest. I worked for KinderCare many years ago and after spending a long time nannying came back to a different center because my former director (and friend) offered me a job. I'm NOT a fan of KinderCare as a company, but she is a great person who truly has the interests of children at heart. I was very happy in my position until last week when the area manager comes in and FIRES this director on an assessment day! Now, we have 2 college students running the place who are so childish they have attempted to withhold my paycheck for calling in sick ONCE. Most of us didn't get lunch breaks today. Totally unprofessional environment. I'm truly disgusted with Kindercare. I am a good teacher but I've reached my limit. The children do not come first with KLC.

15. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Feb 6, 2008

Welcome to the world of KinderCare. Get out now because this seems to be the norm in the world of KLC. I worked at 4 different KinderCare's and this is what happens. They get rid of the ones who are there for the kids, not necessarily making the money... even though they say they are there for the kids first. That's a joke. And they will do whatever it takes to cut costs, including having the 2 college kids running the center, b/c they can pay them $7 an hour instead of the director $33,000 a year.

Get out now before... things won't change.:2cents:

16. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Feb 6, 2008

Again, depends on the center you are in. There is no need to lump the entire company in one. I've been at my center for years, worked my way from teacher to manager and we have a great staff and good parents. It is each center that is different and how their managers deal with it, not necessarily the company as a whole. Yes, the company is out to make money, it's a corporation, but at the center level is where it needs to work, and that falls individually on the director and it's staff, INDIVIDUALLY. They are not all the same!

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 6, 2008

Since this is a Kindercare thread--what is the Kindercare policy on food? My center is two doors from a Kindercare, and I hear strange things about the food. What I have been told is that nothing is prepared on site, and that all food is heat and eat. Is that true, and how is it working?

18. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Feb 6, 2008

Some centers include food, others do not. We do provide lunches, but they are extremely healthy and offers all the food groups at lunch. Now....all the meats and chicken and what not, are pre-cooked and we do just "heat" them up, but that is required in our state, and is also much safer than us "cooking" chicken and not getting it quite right. We also offer fruit and vegetables at lunch EVERY day (and not ketchup or pickles) but green veggies, and different fruit every day. They get milk and usually a bread or roll or something if it is warranted. Our snacks usually are healthy, including lots of fresh veggies (carrots, celery,) and frutis (honeydew, cantaloupe, bananas, apples) to just name a few. There are NO cheese curls, there are no chips on our menu! So yes, it works well.

19. kidwrangler

kidwrangler Rookie

Feb 7, 2008

I'm not lumping all KinderCare locations together, but any company that would allow this to go on at even ONE of a thousand centers needs to take a long hard look at itself. KLC is a company that is fortunate enough to have some good people working for it. That is what makes a good center, not KLC's business ethics....because they don't have any.

20. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Feb 7, 2008

:clap::clap: I agree whole heartedly.

And I think I am the one that the lumping centers together comment was aimed towards. However, as I said, I have worked at 4 different centers (also went from teacher to management) and all 4 of those centers were the same. And as a manager I was able to see other centers and how they were run. So I can honestly say that the number of centers that I have seen can all be lumped together... make the money or get in trouble, doesn't matter if the kids need extra work with phonics or if parents want their kids enrolled get the money no matter what. Maybe it was the district manager as that was the common link... but I can say the many centers I have seen are the same.

21. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Feb 7, 2008

In centers that provide food, all food is precooked and also turkey based (turkey burgers, turkey ham, etc) and then it is "cooked" at the center. The center I worked at had a large enough percentage of students who had the state or county paying for childcare that we were on CACFP, a federal food program that reimbursed the company for food served based on families incomes (like the programs in public schools). The foods served were basically the same.

But I don't want to get started on this topic... a for profit company being reimbursed millions of dollars a year for filling out the extra paperwork and serving certain foods... when that money could be used for non-profit organizations and public schools. The greed was disgusting:2cents:.

22. Heart2TeachSpEd

Heart2TeachSpEd Rookie

Feb 12, 2008

I have worked for Kindercare too my feelings are mixed as well, The center I was at had a very high turn over rate and not enough staff.

23. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 15, 2008

Is there anyone from Kindercare corporate level out there reading this?

24. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2008

I managed a center that was on the CACFP food program (not a KC), and our food was WAY better than what the schools got. We had a cook make our meals, and we used non-processed foods. Some processed yes, but others were homemade and made from scratch (and dang was she a good cook too). Each center is different, and that goes for Kindercare's as well. We also had a generous portion of "low income" children and while the food program was a great help to our center (we were non-profit), it certainly wasn't anything that made or broke our center.

25. kidwrangler

kidwrangler Rookie

Feb 16, 2008

A not for profit KinderCare? Somehow I find that hard to get my head around. I hope someone from corporate reads all this. We had some VIP's come in the other day who observed my class and just raved about my interaction with the kids, clean classroom, control, etc....and I'll be darned if management didn't "forget" to give me a lunch break. Again. Wouldn't they think, "hey, she just made US look really good...let's remember to give her a break today!" They pull teachers out of classrooms and shuffle kids around so they can go on errands...that way someone will be in the office. Our infant teacher was unloading the food truck yesterday! Yes, I'm seeking other employment and then I might just let the whole world know what KinderCare is putting their precious children through.

26. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2008

If you read my post I put (not a KC)! ;) I never stated it was a KC, only commenting on the food program, which is the same food program all states and centers use through CACFP.

27. CollegeEducated

CollegeEducated New Member

Feb 16, 2008

I have worked at Kindercare since August. I have a degree in Early Childhood Education. While everything is not ideal there, no job is perfect. I love working there. All the age groups have individual rooms, we strictly follow state ratios (max in a 2's room is 1:7) max in my room is 1:12. We follow the curriculum, make enhancements, do assessments and conferences. We are also NAEYC accredited. Every Kindercare is different, I wouldn't work at some that are 5 miles away. I am very lucky to be working at one of the better ones and I love it!!!:wub:

28. CollegeEducated

Feb 16, 2008

I guess I am very lucky to work at the one I work at. They do not shuffle teachers around unless they request to work with a different age group. Then they try to make everyone happy and honor the request. We also ALWAYS get our lunch break even if it means the director and Assistant director don't get one. We also have our own cook who does some processed foods out of necessity for sanitation and time allotted to cook for 70 kids 18 months to 5 years, but she also makes veggie dips, salads, fruit salads, muffins, and many different homeade foods for morning and afternoon snacks.

29. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2008

A wonderful director makes all the difference. ;) A director will either make or break the center. I'm glad you work at a well managed one.

30. Heart2TeachSpEd

Heart2TeachSpEd Rookie

Feb 17, 2008

You are very lucky to be under good management, These are the kind of centers that make you feel very proud to do what you do.

31. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Feb 21, 2008

I had an interview at a kinder care once, but they didn't need me and said they give

I had an interview at a kinder care once, but they didn't need me and said they give there central office my application/resume. (It was just all BS). I applied for another one (recent children world take over) I had an interview. I did not get the job I feel partly because I am male. That was for a teacher’s job. I have an interview at one tomorrow for an assistant directors position. Most kinder cares do not take a male serious but the one I have an upcoming interview with seems to want me for some reason. (Not sure if that’s bad or good). Also, the jobs listed on there website is very outdated. I have worked at a few non chain places. The paid little, no benefits, no career opportunities. Kindercare will pay a little more and have career opportunities. Don't get me wrong I love kids; just have to look for a more stable career base. Although the assistant manager/director job pays nothing I will go to the interview and see what’s up. It seems each center has different feelings toward male. I want to work at a public school but I messed up. I was going for elementary education in college, but quit going to school. I ended up going back for a Liberal Arts degree. Anyways does kinder care higher males? (And use them for other positions besides bus driver and after school kids?) :)

32. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 21, 2008

Have you tried Head Start?

33. CollegeEducated

Feb 21, 2008

The KinderCare district I work in hires males. Of course there are very few male applicants I have seen. We have one male director, one male assistant director, and a few male teachers. It really does depend on the needs of the individual center and each center is different on who they want to hire. Come to my center and you would be hired as a teacher as long as your references were good and your interview went well.

34. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Feb 21, 2008

35. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Feb 21, 2008

I had 2 males at my center and there was another male at another center in the district I worked in. One of the guys in my center worked in the 2's room in the morning and infant room in the afternoon and the second guy worked with 2's in the morning and schoolagers in the afternoon. I believe the guy in the other center worked with 3's.

36. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Feb 22, 2008

KinderCare does hire male employees, as I am one. I started 6 years ago as a lead teacher and now have worked my way up to be a director in training, working on getting my own center. Stick with it, and if you truly love kids that will show and they will hire you. Stick with it, because there definitely needs to be more men in the field.

37. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Feb 22, 2008

Yes, but most are usually in dangerous neighborhoods. Also, they are mostly for mino

Yes, but most are usually in dangerous neighborhoods. Also, they are mostly for minorities Nothing wrong with that I just feel we ALL should have the same opportunities. Also a lot of them want you to have type 04/be state board of ed teacher certified. All I have is a state board of ed sub certificates. I am DCFS director and teacher qualified. I do live in Illinois. (Near Chicago/Orland Park) Would anyone like to see my resume? The only ones that seem to want to higher me are so far from me it cost me more in gas then to work there. It is funny though a non chain place begs me to come back to them, but the chain does not want me. How did/does one get higher there? You all say it is easy but it seems to be too hard for me. Almost as I tried so hard they think I am phsyco. Could someone give me a good recommendation?

38. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Feb 22, 2008

Here is the link to my resume:

Here is my resume:

I would just post the link for it but the site will not let me. I also took some personal info off it. If you need/want the rest PLEASE let me know.(last name, numbers, address, ect) I did know it would be hard in the field being male. The first center I worked at I was the only male.

Thomas

Qualifications
    National Registry of EMTs, EMT-B certification.

Illinois Depart of Children and Family Services (IL DCFS) teacher and director qualified for preschools.

Illinois State Board of Education substitute teacher certificate for elementary schools and high schools.

State of Illinois Department of Public Health certified in food service sanitation.

State of Illinois Department of Public Health EMT-B certification.

Education
    Governors State University
    December 2006 Bachelor of Arts
    General Studies/Liberal Arts University Park, IL

Moraine Valley Community College
    August 2000 Associates
    Liberal Arts Palos Hills, IL

Benjamin Franklin/Carl Sandburg
    June 1997 High School Orland Park, IL

Experience
    Illinois Army National Guard
    October 2006 - Present Combat medic/healthcare specialist/EMT-B Riverside, IL
    I am currently a member of the Illinois Army National Guard. My current job is a Combat Medic. With my training I have earned my National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT), Emergency Medical Technicians Basic (EMT-B) certification. My current rank is E-4 Specialist.

Little People's Preschool
    October 2006 - November 2006 Preschool teacher Mokena, IL
    Taught children age two through six.

Crete-Monee School District 210-U
    November 2005 - June 2006 Teacher's assistant Crete, IL
    Worked at Crete-Monee High School. Assisted teachers in the classroom teaching special education students.

Mary Sears Children's Academy
    April 2005 - October 2005 Preschool teacher New Lenox, IL
    Worked in three year old and four year old classroom during the school year. Taught students in other rooms as needed. During the summer months worked with day camp program.

T. L. C. Learning Center
    November 2004 - April 2005 Preschool teacher Blue Island, IL
    Worked with before and after school students (elementary school age) and drove van. Taught children in other classrooms as needed. (preschool age)

Target Greatland
    March 2002 - September 2004 Overnight stock Orland Park, IL
    Unloaded truck and stocked store.

Jewel Foods
    September 1999 - March 2002 Bakery clerk Orland Park, IL
    Worked in bakeshop.

References
    J. N.
    Director
    Mary Sears Children's Academy
    13245 West Lincoln Highway
    New Lenox, IL 60451
    (815) xxx-xxxx

A. B.
    Teacher
    Prairie View Middle School
    8500 West 175th Street
    Tinley Park, Illinois 60477
    Work telephone: (708) xxx-xxxx
    Home telephone: (708)xxx-xxxx

K. R.
    Director
    T.L.C. Learning Center
    2844 West 127th Street
    Blue Island, IL 60406
    Telephone: 708xxx-xxxx
    Fax: 708-xxx-xxxx

Documentation
    Copies of my degrees, transcripts, and certificates are also available upon request.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2008
  39. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 23, 2008

hey tgpii... Im blanking out your reference names and numbers just for their own privacy ;)

40. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Feb 24, 2008

I think the website already did that!

I think the website already did that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.