Kinder with ASD

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teachdeaf15, Nov 5, 2010.

1. teachdeaf15

teachdeaf15 Rookie

Nov 5, 2010

Good Morning!

I am first year teacher and I have a little boy who in in the process of being diagnosed with Autism. I teach at a charter school and we have very limited resources in the ESE areas. I am searching for some tips or strategies to help him be successful in the classroom. He is a sweet kid, but he sometimes situations are overwhelming for him. There are 17 students total in a small classroom and he sits at a table with 5 other students. Thank you for your help!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2010

It sounds like sensory overload....I would make sure that he has a quiet place to go. This could be a separate room, a small place in the classroom, a place in the hall, whatever fits into your school. When the room is a little noisy, bright, has many activities going on, he may need to retreat to the quiet place just to gather himself.

All students with autism are so different. What works with one may or may not work with him. Many times the parents have great strategies that work at home that can be applied to the classroom. Also, social stories are great to either get a copy or write with him. Many students with autism respond to these stories.

4. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Nov 5, 2010

Keep close track of what you do. Strategies may work for a few weeks or a month. You can keep a list of what works and rotate if needed. Just be open minded that you might have to change strategies. It all depends on the child. Sometimes, you will find something that works and you never have to change.
    Also, be aware of how other professionals work with the child. There have been many times that I have gained knowledge from how others have worked with my ASD students and my own ASD son.

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 6, 2010

Another tip that rally helps with these kids sometimes is ROUTINE. Number 1, HAVING one and sticking to it and Number 2 - going over the routine each morning (sometimes I do it right after lunch for the afternoon too) - they like to know what's happening and when and this helps them mentally prepare for the day.