Kinder student help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by newh00, Sep 3, 2019.

1. newh00

newh00 Rookie

Sep 3, 2019

Day 6, and I need help.

My class and I have already been through so much. The higher ups decided not to hire a new Kindergarten teacher and have 1 kinder class [me] and 1 K/1 combo-in an effort to make the k/1 combo run more smoothly, admin picked the highest kindergarteners that had preschool experience to place in there (their words)
    So I started the year with 19 cute, excited kiddos with a variety of needs. By the 3rd day, we had a high enough enrollment that they had to get a new k teacher and shuffle students around. When admin came to ask about who should be moved out of my room to the other class- they cast aside many of my students because of their EC status, lack of English, and red flags-until they found a few to move over that would be good for the other kinder teacher since she had "never taught kindergarten." This is the start of my 3rd year in K, and admin says it's a compliment to my classroom management and structure. Mmmm. They give me more credit than I deserve. I'm going somewhere with this.

In all of this, my students have done a great job learning rules, procedures, and the fun of kindergarten. But, one student needs something extra.

This student cannot sit on the carpet without rolling around, giggling, and yelling out. If I ask him to sit in his chair, he will for a few and then try to wander around the room. Every hour or so he will repeat something over and over like I want my mamma. I want to go to the playground. I need my juice cup. I need my milk. Etc. If I ignore....he gets louder and yells. If he needs anything he yells. And just repeats it over and over until someone responds.

While I'm teaching, he wants to yell about his cup, or get my attention by saying hello, hello! I give a general statement to the class remember if you need something -raise your hand, and then I can help you. Over and over. If he doesn't get his way, he cries and screams.

This is a struggle for me, and all students involved. I've tried praising students around him. We are required to use class dojo, so I've tried points, I have some fidget toys he can use when he has spent all the time he can on the carpet without disrupting - But he usually uses those to disrupt more. We do brain breaks, and switch tasks often as my students just aren't ready for centers but can't do whole group for long! Hes even gotten some natural consequences -not listening to directions so he doesn't get as much time to do something as everyone else because I won't let him do something until he listens fully to the instructions. He was interested in some stickers I had on my table- so I even offered up those if he could show me how we did x. 5 seconds later he didn't care -like the points. Anytime he is successful, I praise, praise, praise!

I know it's only the 6th day and believe it or not there have been small improvements. But I need some suggestions if you've got them.

I'm also at the point of wanting to lock my door- I've been asked to share all of what I've planned (with the k/1 teacher at first and now with the new k teacher since they had never taught it....) and now I have people popping over to borrow books, master copies, asking questions, etc. While I'm teaching and any focus or groove we've gotten into is instantly ruined when a visitor comes in.

3. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Sep 4, 2019

This possibly is a student who isn't adapting to changes in his environment. He's new to school, and his new environment suddenly changed when several classmates left for the other Kindergarten class. To top it off, the other teachers consistently interrupt the routine of lessons. Meanwhile, he has created his own routine of repeated requests, yelling, and crying; I suspect he does the same with his parents. I'd recommend developing a plan with the student to alter one behavior. Personally, I'd avoid "prizes" as an incentive, as this can cheapen the experience of classroom participation, a strong reward in itself at that age; (the student's brain-growth during class participation is quite the enjoyable experience). Then I'd discuss the progress the student makes with this plan.

4. Surviving the Classroom

Surviving the Classroom Rookie

Sep 8, 2019

Howdy. Hope you are doing well since the time of this message. Thankfully, it's only the one child who's "antsy". :)

Before offering suggestions about your student, I'd like to comment on the interruptions. You have to set the tone for your classroom to be respected by your colleagues. Of course you'd love to be a resource, but it has to be at the best time of day for you. Feel free to say this/make the request. I've worked in places where that sort of culture was created, and I nipped that in the bud immediately.

Here are a few thoughts that come to mind for your Kinderkid:

Step 0: conduct assessments to identify his academic strengths and weaknesses. He may be antsy because he simply doesn't understand? I included this as step 0 as you may have done this by now? :)

Step 1 - identify incentives of interest.

There are assessments that can given to the student for you to do this, you can also contact the parent to inquire, and/or send home an assessment for parents to complete. If the list is created by the parent, cross reference it with the student to confirm. Sometimes students may not always like the incentives their parents may think they like, or if they do, sometimes it may be preferred most when at home. Label them so you know which ones are strong incentives and mild. Strong incentives will be used for super challenging behaviors and/or when your student has just done a totally awesome job that you feel it's well deserved.

Step 2 - Identify target behavior to change

Identify a list of behaviors you would like this student to improve. From that list, select one behavior as a target behavior for you to work with. Suggest one only because this system will be new to you to track and new to him to manage. Once they system of implementation is smooth you can add more.

Step 3 - create a work task schedule
    You may already have a visual schedule in your room to show the class the sequence of events during a given subject, and a checkbox to show when each event/task is completed. If not, this may be helpful. However, your student may need a laminated visual schedule that is unique to him. What area all of the items, he can access his incentive.

You may not want him to complete the same number of tasks that all other students complete if his attention span is challenging. Identify the location in the schedule of where the incentive would be earned. It may look something like this:

task
    incentive
    task
    incentive

OR
    task
    task
    incentive
    task
    task
    incentive

etc....

Now, your "task" and "incentive" will be specific. He needs to know exactly what needs to be done. You will chose the incentive schedule based upon his current attention span and/or interest. The more his behaviors improve, the longer you can have him wait for his incentive. Also, you may want to create a checkbox space and/or a space to add a star so your student can visually see what items he has left to complete.

Step 4: Identify student's attention span duration.

How long is your student attentive during your blocks? I think you mentioned an hour, yes? If this is for every subject? Am? Pm? This is important because it will help you structure your visual schedule better.

Step 5 - Teach student new incentive program

Set aside a time to explicitly introduce him to the visual schedule. Allow him to rehearse it with you one-to-one. Before the schedule is implemented on any given day, he will have to communicate to you what he is working for. If this schedule is used multiple times a day, he will communicate this to you each time.

You will have to practice this with him in isolation and then in the general ed setting, of course.

Step 6 - have his parents rehearse and practice the use of a visual schedule at home. This will get him used to the concept.

This is a basic starting point I would suggest. There are always sooooo many particulars to each students situation that more can be added.

Hope some of the above helps :)