Kinder Parents Crazy?????

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by skittleroo, Jun 29, 2009.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

Ok, I am moving from 1st to kinder. In 1st I've had the occasional parent who wants to move in and I've even had one or two kiddos clinging to mom or chasing her down the hall.

I was nosying around youtube and found videos of kids' first day of kinder and OMG, "Are they nuts"???? I seen one video with probably 25 parents in the room at one time with the kids. Is this common? How do you deal with it without offending every parent???
    Parents were dragging kids around the room taking pics of their child and every single thing in the room.:eek:

I can handle one or two parents, but a classroom full of parents - hanging out in the background when you are starting your day??????

3. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 29, 2009

You get some of that the first day, but it doesn't last. Thank God. And I have never had a whole classroom full of parents stay.
    On the first day, I give them some time for this and then I announce that we will be starting are day now and it is time to say goodbye to mom. You do have to deal with some tears, I been known to be sitting on the floor with one child on each knee and one in my lap while hugging another one. I just keep reminding the parents and myself that this doesn't last long.
    The worst part is the parents that just keep dragging out their goodbyes. It just makes it harder for their child.

4. MJH

MJH Companion

Jun 29, 2009

Never Happened

I taught K for 14 years and I've never had parents come in to take pictures. I've had parents walk their child to the room on the first day and the kid would cling to mom and cry but that's the extent of it.

I've always taught in a Title I school in rough areas so parents either had to get to work or the parent would show up but send the kid on the bus.

I did have a kid cry one year everyday all day for the first 8 weeks of school. That gets old really quick. He had never been away from mom until K and mom would send him on the bus. I really felt for the bus driver because she had to deal with him trying to run off the bus everytime she stopped. Yes, she did have to deal with it because the district didn't consider it a major problem. She had the older students sit in the front to block his path.

5. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I have taught for 13 years and I have never had a parent even ask to stay. All of my kids ride buses and we request at parent orientation that they do not drive their child to school for at least 2 weeks. If the parent doesn't listen and does drive them the parent is only allowed to go as far as the office. Actually our bus drivers have the toughest part because all the picture taking and crying is done at the bus stop. The buses always seem to run late the first week because every parent wants to take their child's picture as they board the bus.

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

hmmm, I know parents do take kids to school at my new school and there are only 3 buses for a school with 800 students, so...... alot are brought.

hopefullly, I find a tactful way of saying, "It's been great, but....."

7. map

map Companion

Jul 5, 2009

I always have a lot of parents that first day. One time I had both parents, grandparents and two aunts for one child. I let them come in find their table spot, put their snack in the cubby, hang their backpack. I usually have a Chester coloring page at their table spot that they can start coloring while everyone is getting settled. (10 minutes tops) Then I invite the children to the carpet for a story to start the day. At my old school I read a story then told the students to wave goodbye to mom so we could get started with our day. At my new school the principal basically kicks all the parents out 10 minutes after the first bell. He comes on the intercom and invites them to the cafeteria for donuts/juice (from PTO) He may even give a quick little speech. The safety doors lock and parents aren't allowed back in the classroom. I love the way he does it because it is super easy to get them out of the room. Hope this helps!

8. skerns

skerns Companion

Jul 5, 2009

kinder crazies

Do you have a student orientation. We have one the Thursday night before school begins. This give you a chance to talk to the parents and the children a chance to see their classroom. At the orientation, I explain to the parents that on Monday they need to say a quick goodbye. I tell them to help their children put away their backpacks and help them pick a seat at the table in the gym. I explain how it makes things worse for the student if they linger. If I have a parent who just doesn't "get it", I simple approach them and take the child and ask them to leave now or at least for them to get out of sight of their child. It usually works. I have only had one child in 10 years cry for more than 10 minutes. That little girl cried for 4 months. :( no kidding. You could send a letter telling them they can take pictures at the orientation. Just an idea. I have never had anyone take pics.

9. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Jul 5, 2009

Parents at my school are invited in to the classroom at the beginning of the first day. I welcomed everyone in, did introductions (me, my TAs, and each of the kids). I read a book about the first day of Kindergarten with the kids on the carpet and parents standing around toward the back of the room. Then I invited parents to take their kid around the room for 5-10 minutes to look for their seat, cubby, etc. After that I said something like, "OK, boys and girls, it's time for mom and dad to leave now. Give them a hug and kiss and join me on the rug! Thanks for coming this morning, parents!" I didn't have any parents ask to stay extra and most of the kids were fine after the parents left. A few seemed like they might cry, but none did. I guess if one or two did ask to stay longer, I'd just say sorry, but we need to get the kids used to being without mom and dad.

I was a little nervous with all the parents, but once I had the kids on the rug to read the story, I focused only on them and pretty much ignored the parents. It wasn't too bad. Just be firm about when it's time for them to go!

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 5, 2009

WOW----we have to live 2 miles from school before a bus can even be requested. I am totally envious.:clap:

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 7, 2009

Most of my kids take the bus (my school is on a highway so they all have free bussing), and the parents are pretty good about letting them take the bus from the beginning. I think I had one parent come in the room last year (thank God).

Have something at each table for the children to do when they come in. I usually put out some sort of math manipulative tub and a coloring sheet. Once everyone comes in and gets settled (it usually takes about 10-15 minutes), have them pick up and wave goodbye to their parents.

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

I have even had parents ride the bus WITH their kids, and then expect a ride back home from one of the school staff!

13. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2009

WHAT????

14. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 7, 2009

i usually go outside on the playground with the kids to pick them up, and bring them in, and I stay a while, then make a big fanfare about alright, kids, tell you parents goodbye and you love them, and tell them NOT TO CRY without you. It usssssually works pretty well. I never let the parents in, they never will leave! lol

15. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 7, 2009

Principal

Our principal let parents know that they can only go as far as the office. It makes the teachers look better to the clingy parents.

16. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2009

I hope that is the case at my new school. I hate being made to look like the bad guy.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2009

I guess I'm a bad mom.

Even when I was a SAHM, I put my kids on the bus, kissed them goodbye, and saw them later that afternoon.

SURE it killed me. But you've got to let them grow up!!