kinder parent

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Starivy, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Aug 23, 2006

I am going on my 3rd week of teaching kindergarten and it has been ROUGH. I have 1 parent whom I run into every few days after school that wants to sit there and talk about how his child is doing. He is very concerned about his son's writing and reading. I have done some initial assessments and his son barely knows his abc's, nonetheless writing/reading letters. Since I'm new, I don't know what to tell him at this point. Should I be telling him to work on just reckgonizing letters or writing them or learning the sounds? I don't know!!!!!!!!!!!!! He also seems me to want me to gather him extra materials to send home with him. I don't know what and where to look for this stuff? Can someone help me bc it is really stressing me out bc I feel like I don't know what to do or what to say to him. Thanks in advance.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2006

OK- first of all tell him that you appreciate his concern. Reassure him that you are keeping an eye on his son and that while kids do come to kindergarten with a wide range of skills you have been assessing the class and so far he seems like he might need some reinforcement on letter recognition. You can send flashcards or some phonics games home but reassure him that these ARE kindergarten skills you will be teaching. You will keep in contact with the dad on a weekly (or every other week?) basis and in the meanitme he should continue to look for his daily work in the backpack and reiforce whatever you are doing at home. He could use flashcards, trace letters in sand or shaving cream, use a whiteboard, read read read to his child, have 'letter scavenger hunts' in books/newspapers. That should keep him busy for a while. In the meantime if this kiddo continues to struggle with letter recognition/aquiring phonemic awareness, turn to the resource/child study people in your building. His struggles could be merely developmental or there could be a real learning issue- it just could be too early to tell. Since dad is concerned already though, there may be something there.

4. map

map Companion

Aug 23, 2006

If he has email. Starfall.com is a great place for Kindergarten kids. It works on ABC's, sounds and reading skills. Perfect for home or school. Personally I would tell him it is early in the year. Everyone is getting to know each other and if there's a problem you will address the situation at that time. Too early at this point.

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2006

Ask your school's reading teacher for advice about things to send home, or if you have an Early Childhood Liason, that's another good place to start. The US Dept of Education also has lots of good parent information booklets that are FREE! You just have to place an order. I always hand one out that's called "helping your child become a reader," and one called "helping your child with math" at some point in the year. You can order them online, but I don't remember the website (I'll check and post it later).

I do a letter folder with my kids, and I send a large blackline of the letter home when we learn it. In the beginning of the letter folder, there are suggestions to do with each letter. If you PM me, I can email this to you as an attachment.

Kim

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2006

The webiste is www.edpubs.org. Check them out, all materials are free and you can order class sets.
    Kim

7. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 24, 2006

I often get parents like that who want to know all about their child, ask for extra work, etc. Sometimes they seem more about just talking to the teacher, and are not really as concerned about the child. Do you know what I mean? They call several times a week, about silly stuff. It is almost like they just need to connect with you. Maybe they have no one to talk to at home, I don't know. Sometimes I get tired of having to talk to them on the phone... again.:(

8. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 25, 2006

:) :D First of all, can you arrange a conference time with him so that the two of you can sit in the classroom and discuss his son's academic needs in private and in a quiet setting. Having to have these types of conversations while dismissing Kinders to their parents/guardians is very distracting. Can you quickly suggest or arrange a time for the two of you to meet? Then you and he can seriously discuss his concerns and make a plan for future contact through phone, email, or follow up appoitment...just like the doctor's office! LOL

I just know I HATE being ambushed by parents at the end of the day! I'm just not at my best to discuss serious matters at that time. I live in the neighborhood where I work so I had to quickly nip in the bud parents asking about their child's progress when we'd bump into each other at Walgreens! LOL Not fair to the kiddo or to me!!!:D :eek: