Kinder Orientation

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by misst1976, Jun 1, 2011.

1. misst1976

misst1976 Companion

Jun 1, 2011

What do you think are the 5 important differences between Pre-K and Kinder? I have to present this to the incoming Kinder. Just wondering what your opinions are. Thanks!

3. janney

janney Cohort

Jun 1, 2011

I guess it would depend on the PreK they went to compared to their new kinder class. Ours would be no naps, more independent work, you eat breakfast before school, tests and more tests, and you will be expected to write on your own without the teacher writing it for you.

4. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 2, 2011

I realize each school/preschool is different but for my class it would be - ~no naps,
    ~only ONE 30 minute recess aka no "free explore" play/centers,
    ~lots of sitting and listening and writing,
    ~being independent in the class as well as the bathroom! lol I don't help in the bathroom!
    ~Minimal field trips! Our preschool takes one a month...WITH ALL the parents!!!:eek:

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 2, 2011

Guide and ask your current K class what they want to share about kindergarten. My students had some fantastic ideas.

6. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Jun 2, 2011

1. Longer day

2. No aides in the classroom. Therefore, the kids need more patience and independence. Also, there are no aides on the buses. The PreK has their own buses and the aides ride with them. K kids ride on the regular buses (K-6th).

3. The addition of academic reading centers. Pre-K only has the more traditional "play"centers where the kids are basically free to do what they want in the blocks, kitchen etc... It takes awhile to get them to understand that they need to complete tasks in the academic centers.

4. Obviously the academics get harder, but every year my parents tell me at the first conference that they didn't realize how much more! The focus on reading and sentence writing surprises them the most.

5. PreK gets PE time in the gym everyday, but they do not go to any other special classes. K is on the regular special class rotation for the school. Therefore, my kids get to go to PE, library, art and music classes on rotation.

7. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jun 18, 2011

Does your state have a standard course of study for kindergarten? I teach in NC and we have that. So for the academic aspects broken down subject by subject I would give parents a copy so they are aware.

8. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jun 24, 2011

Along the same line I would say that the expectations are completely different. Kindergartners are expected to have certain skills before they move on to first grade.