Kinder interview this week...help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Birdie86, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Birdie86

Birdie86 Rookie

Jun 30, 2015

I have a kinder interview this week and I need your help! Kinder teachers, what questions would you ask in a panel interview? Or what can I expect to be asked? I know of general interview questions but is there anything grade specific to prepare?

I actually interviewed several weeks ago at this same school for another grade level and I wrote on here how poorly I thought it went! Obviously I didn't get that position but they called me to come back to this interview now so perhaps the p liked something about me. I was so nervous going into that first interview with them because it was a panel of 8!! It caught me off guard and my nerves took over and I couldn't even think. It was horrifying. I'm so nervous it'll happen again but I can't afford it to. I want this position so badly! Kinder is what I truly want to teach and I have the experience since I student taught kinder and I'm now a prek teacher who second half of the year taught kinder level lessons to my prek's. What advice can you give me going into the interview?

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 30, 2015

Just think about how you would help struggling readers, things of that nature. Im sure it will be questions like "what would we see in your room during...". And what kind of behavior management you will use. Maybe something about parent contact because at that age there is still a lot of parent involvement (at least in my experience).

4. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 30, 2015

I don't teach kinder but I believe that if you can answer questions about what you did or would like to change while teaching would definitely be a plus.

5. ACinTexas

ACinTexas Rookie

Jun 30, 2015

I would also definitely kind of plan out things you can improve from your first go round with the panel.

The same thing happened to me in my first teaching interview ever. I know exactly what you mean when you say horrifying. I was completely overwhelmed.

Congrats on being called back though, you must have done something right! Good luck.

6. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 30, 2015

On our K panel interviews, we ask about what your reading block looks like, classroom management, how you communicate with parents, what a typical math block might look like. The most important part isn't necessarily how you answer, but the confidence you exude and how knowledgeable you sound. We interviewed a lot of qualified applicants but only a few were a top for us due to how they fit with the team.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2015

Perhaps think about the questions they asked last time and the best way to answer those. You could even say, "After reflecting on your question before..." There is a good chance some of those questions will come up again. If they ask you a question and you aren't sure of how to answer it be honest. Tell them about the resources (research, mentor teachers, etc) you would go to in order to find the answer if you were in that situation. Best of luck. Take a deep breath. You'll do great! :) Jodi